My next big project

Bronze Member
Username: Carbuddy

Chicago, Il

Post Number: 25
i wanto stick like 2 alternators in the trunk and find some kind of 12v rotery thingy ran from the stock battery to spin it then that spins the 2 alternators that brings the power back to the battery first of all can you even have 3 alternators (the stock 1 and the 2 in the trunk) ran to 1 battery with no problem and 2 will the 2 extra alternators act as backups for the origional alternator so that my origional alternator wont blow am i retarted

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 3802

quote:

am i retarted

Retarded? lol It's an interesting idea, but I don't know how you would hook up a serpentine belt to the pulleys effectively...

Bronze Member
Username: Carbuddy

Chicago, Il

Post Number: 26
well as funny as it sounds im 18 years old and i have more tools then ur average not pro but average car audio shop i mean i have welders power tools out the rear end air tools table saws i mean u name it and i probably have it long story of how i managed to get over 30,000 worth of tools but it was legal <<<< anyways i figured if you can kinda see where im going with this i would get some kind of 12v motor thing dont know what yet and mount it to some kind of custom frame then add the additional alternators perfectly in line with the motor i do realize i would have to make some kind of thing for the belt to sit on at the motor sounds like alot of work but if i go junk yard hoppin and get alts from newer cars it will be cheaper than getting it done professionaly

Silver Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 784
Gee, kinda sounds like a perpetual motion set up. Useing 1 battery to power a motor to power 2 alternators to repower the battery. Let me know how that works out for you.
PS. carry some jumper cables in your car next to your set up for when your car dies on the side of the road.

Upload

Upload

Silver Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 785
Some learning on why it wont work.

http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/museum/unwork.htm

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 3828