New HU girlfriend broke the last one but...

Username: Liltbrockie

Post Number: 1
but will this one (Pioneer DEH-P6800MP CD Player)be able to handle it? Reason I ask is ive got a pair of passive Tannoy 6.5" home hi fi speakers in the boot and im wondering if thats a bad thing? My sony cdx 4000 broke after it got turned up too loud so my question is will the Pioneer DEH-P6800MP CD Player be able to power those hi fi speakers i got in the boot (and the factory installed speakers in the front doors.)

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 3001
The only issue I can see with that setup is impedance, but most home speakers have a higher impedance (6-8 ohms as opposed to 2-4ohms car audio). It should be fine, I really don't know why the Sony couldn't handle it. I actually have done similar setups in order to test head units and haven't had problems.

Silver Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 906
What model are your Tannoys?

Are they Home Audio speakers, or Pro Audio speakers?

There is a difference.

Tannoy is known for front of house and stage monitors. These drivers are 96-99 dB efficient and can be 6-8 ohm. Some are dual concentric transducers, which mean they have a tweeter installed in the center of the driver where the dust cap, whizzer cone, or a phase plug usually is (two-way). This actually horn-loads the tweeter and may sound harsh or cranky. At any rate, if they are this type, then your HU may power them enough to get decent output.

But,

If they are Home Audio speakers rated at 89-91 dB efficiency and 6-8 ohm resistence, then your HU may not power them enough for decent output.

You may want to invest in a 2 channel amp that puts out 75-100 watts per channel at 8 ohms (not 4).

Post Number: 2
thanks for your replies guys... i think the sony HU was just on its last legs a bit.. the tannoys are pro monitors .. these ones - http://www.dancetech.com/aa_dt_new/hardware/item.cfm?threadid=497&lang=0

4 ohms minimum

they did sound good untill they got turned up to loud!

Silver Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 909
Ugh, ya...

You will definetly need an amplifier to run these.

These arent monitors as in stage monitors. These are mainly used in the sound booth which in many cases is in another room behind a glass wall. So they are just regular bookshelf speakers in a way. They may be very nice bookshelf speakers, but they arent those loud super efficient monitors I explained about in the previous post.

Silver Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 910
http://www.tannoy.com/Default.asp?Id=3355

Here is the 12" two-way 99 dB studio monitor. Now this bad boy also handles 350-700 watts. This is what I call loud.

Post Number: 3
well thanx for ur help i guess ill have to get meself a cheap amp then!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us