Do MP3 Cd's have Worst sound Quality and miss more notes?

Silver Member
Username: Bradgman

GAlVeStoN, Tx Usa

Post Number: 154
Do MP3 Cd's have Worst sound Quality and miss more notes because of the compressed size. I heard this in detail from a guy but also have heard others say that MP3 has better sound quality. I was told that I would notice the difference in Rap songs between the 2 bc of the mp3 format. What about USB attachments like kenwoods MP632u? Just Curious.
Thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Dkchillin

Vermont

Post Number: 48
Not all MP3s are created equal. Depending on the compression and bit rate sound quality will differ. In general though, if you're compressing a file it's going to loose some quality but in terms of noticable sound degradation it depends on the file and the quality of the equipment you're playing it on. As a rule, just be sure to encode MP3s at the highest bit rate possible or use a variable bit rate compression.

As for USB attachments, it doesn't make much difference if you're still going to be playing the same files. From a CD or right from a drive, if it's the same file it'll sound the same. If you're working with something less compressed like a WAV file and playing over a USB hookup then you might notice an improvement in sound quality.

Bottom line, a lot of people can't tell the difference between a high quality MP3 and an uncompressed file right from a standard CD, but if the MP3 quality is bad that's another story.

Silver Member
Username: Bradgman

GAlVeStoN, Tx Usa

Post Number: 159
ohh, thanks a lot! Yeah, I will use the highest bit rate possible and see if I can notice any difference. Thanks a lot
Thanks
Brad

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL

Post Number: 3105
i have burned hundred's of Mp3 CD's, and i can say that i noticed a big difference in SQ from a CD with wav files(a store bought CD):-)

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1962
unless its just a bad copy or a really low bit rate, i can't tell any difference between a MP3 and a store bought cd.

Bronze Member
Username: Mrbass

Long beach, California United state

Post Number: 47
usb sounds great, when putting mp3 songs to your usb make sure you fix your eq on your itunes or whatever software you have , and always go higher then 128k per song, then play it on your head unit and youll hear the clarity of it but dipends on what head unit it is too.

Silver Member
Username: Fiber

Post Number: 199
larger the bit rate the less songs will fit on the cd, but 100 cd's is only $10 so what the helll

Silver Member
Username: Nnnnick_b

Weddington, Nc Usa

Post Number: 699
Most Mp3's have a bit rate around 128-192 kbs. The bit rate from a high quality store bought cd is around 360-500+ kbs. With a finely tuned SQ setup Mp3's become annoying b/c the accuracy of the equipment brings out all the detail a crappy speaker won't, but it will also bring out all the flaws in the recording.

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 3914
when i rip the music off a store bought cd in to mp3 format, then it still sounds good. i can tell the difference though between the two. the regular cd does sound better. when i download songs using limewire, the quality really sux. some are okay but most of the time they suck.

Silver Member
Username: Nnnnick_b

Weddington, Nc Usa

Post Number: 706
Go to "tools" and then to "options". Open the "rip music" tab. Under rip settings change the format to "windows media rip lossless" This will give the lowest loss of bit rate when ripping. Maybe you already knew this. just saying it for someone who doesnt.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us