I got an alternator problem

Silver Member
Username: Cadillacdb

Houston , TX

Post Number: 542
Aight guys i bought a 300amp alt put it in the Ride an it worked fine for a week or so but then i started to hear a squeak an figured the belt must need to be changed but decided to put some belt dressing on it until i could get the belt an have the time to put it on an the squeak went away but now my alt isnt working ... im getting a battery no charge on my read out but before this it was doing good an sitting at about 13.8 volts with my stereo turned up to around 55 so do you guys think the belt might be so worn that its not gripping anymore so slipping an not turning the alt at a high enough RPM level to make it kick in or maybe the belt is looose ???? i havnt changed the belt yet but im going to an i hope its just the belt thats the problem because i really dont want to have to take out the alt an send it back for another because that alt is a real pain in the as* to get to an change out

Silver Member

Houston , TX

Post Number: 543
i started it a few times after noticing that it wasnt charging an then drove around the road to see if it would come on but it didnt an then i parked an got angry so put my foot in the gas really hard an after it revved up to like nearly 5000RPM's the alt started working but when i let the gas up the battery slowly went from 14.4 down to 12 an then the battery no charge read out came back up so i dont really know whats going wrong but im gonna change the belt an if that doesnt change anything i guess ill just have to pull it out an send it back to be fixed or replaced

Silver Member

Houston , TX

Post Number: 544
I thought it was possible that my Voltometer wasnt working right but i went outside today an the car was dead so i know it isnt just a read out malfunction an i checked the fuse an everything else i could think of

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5329
Using a DMM, measure the voltage from the alternator. Is the belt slipping?

Silver Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 742
Cadillac, I had this problem with a HO alternator.. But for me, it'd kick on when I hit a bump in the road. You might want to check and make sure all the stators have a very secure connection, and havnt somehow come unsoldered.

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1301
sounds like the alternator isnt even spining or slipping like crazy. Check the voltage @ idle with a DMM; also rev the car from the hood while you pay attention to the alternator & belt. Who installed it for you?

Silver Member

Houston , TX

Post Number: 557
I put it in myself but my father is a retired ASE certified mechanic an he Supervised the whole thing an i know i did it all right because ive worked on cars with my father all my life an a alternator swap is really a No brainer kinda Job ... but i think its my belt tensioner so im gonna get a new one an also change the belt... ill keep you guys updated tho an ill also check what seth said

Silver Member

Houston , TX

Post Number: 560
B... im not trying to be a Jerk but i was looking at ur profile an it says you are 23 years old but you have 14 years of A/V experience so that would mean you were 9 when you first started getting into this stuff LOL

Silver Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 750
Cadillac, just watch the alterntor and have someone give your ride some gas...should be able to tell if it's slipping/not spinning, etc...

I really doubt its your tensioner, unless your belt is loose.. You should be able to tell this, by just pushing down on the belt.. If it's not loose (should be very tight, but give just *slightly*)

why dont you throw your stock alt back in for a minute? This is the easiest way to really check everything, etc.

Silver Member

Houston , TX

Post Number: 561
just forget it guys.. ill take care of it myself but thanks for trying .. the alt on my car isnt some easy alt to take out because to get to it you have to take out the Radiator an hoses an fans that are connected to it ( an buy radiator fluid when putting it back in )just to get to it then when taken the bolts out you have to move the Front exhaust manifold to get the last one out an you also have to move a few things just to get one of the fans to come up because its too big to bring right up an im sure its the belt tensioner and or belt so ill just change both of those before i go pulling it all apart to get the alt out an put in the other one

Silver Member

Houston , TX

Post Number: 562
If im wrong about it being the belt and or belt tensioner ill know very quickly an ive already asked around an alot of guys say you wouldnt even know that ur belt wasnt spinning your alt enough or if the belt is slipping because the alt would still be turning but it wouldnt be getting enough grip to turn it fast enough so it could cause the alt to not turn at the right RPM to kick on until you revv up way higher then you should have to

Silver Member

Houston , TX

Post Number: 563
i was talking to a mechanic friend of mine ( that i get high with some times, i would talk with my father about it but he isnt talking to me right now ) an my friend said when the squeaking started coming from my belt it was indicating that my belt needed to be replaced an that the belt dressing might have made the squeak go away but after a belt squeaks for a few days the sides get glazed over an no longer have the same gripping they used to have so it would cause an alt to seem like it has gone out an he also said he had seen this a billion times but since most mechanics are crooks they usually just say you need a new alt an belt just so they can make more money

Silver Member

Houston , TX

Post Number: 564
just forget about it guys,, but i will let you know if i was right after i change the stuff i plan to change ... the belt does seem to be loose tho an thats why i said i probably need a new belt tensioner an the tensioner does seem like its bad because when i wiggle it i hear a sound so i think the bearings in it are maken that noise which is a tell tell sign

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1349
"B... im not trying to be a Jerk but i was looking at ur profile an it says you are 23 years old but you have 14 years of A/V experience so that would mean you were 9 when you first started getting into this stuff LOL"
^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

you are correct, I started at 10years old, hooking up hu and equalizers, that was when eq had no rcas, just wires!! I have tons of electronic experince, labs, semsesters, you just name it! degree in electronics, computers, plus certifications in both....
but yea, im only 23, be 24 in SEP!

ohh, like I said check to see if the alternator is slipping; also CHECK the tenensioner, those Cadillacs are known for bad tentioners!!! And your mechanic friend may also be correct, the belt need to be changed! I would try that first, make sure the groves match the pulleys and all of them spining freely..
ohh a another problem is that your Air Idle Reciculation PUMP on the Caddilac is sticking; this could cause a slow pulley. Check make sure all of them sping freely with your hand.
ohh, im not a mechanic either, but working on 4 years of experince with that!! I work only GM cars only; so Im totally familar with the Caddys and their proplems!

age aint nothing but a #; lol

Silver Member

Houston , TX

Post Number: 573
i didnt say you are too young to know anything i just meant how the hell did you start at 9 years old but you explained so no biggie .. was just wondering
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us