Power wiring

Bronze Member
Username: Adddisorder

Post Number: 44
this sounds dumb but what is the best/easiest way to get my powerwire from my batt. threw my car into the trunk..like how do i get it insid ethe car in the first place?

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11132
not dumb if you've never tried it.

it isn't easy, to be honest.. but it's not impossible.
Depending on the size of the wire, you either find an existing rubber gromet such as the one for the HVAC wiring, and use a knife to slit the gromet, then feed the wire through there into the cabin (a wire hanger helps here) or you drill a hole just for the wire (needed for large cable like 0 gauge) and buy a rubber gromet for the opening to weather seal it and protect the wire from chafing (partsexpress.com) then you feed the cable through the firewall untill it piles up on the floor by the floormats.
at that point you pull it all through into the car and start routing it, tucking the cable under the carpeting and under plastic trim panels etc to hide it.

first time doing it, give yourself a solid half a day to figure out routing.

Bronze Member
Username: Adddisorder

Post Number: 45
yeah im trying to run a 4 gauge and i dont want to have to spend 14 on a firewall wich is what it comes out to be, so do you think i could just drill a hole and put the wire in and fill around it with foam or calking or something like that?

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11157
not if you want to avoid causing an engine compartment fire

Anonymous

can power wire also be used as ground wire?

Nanbakat
Unregistered guest
Wire is wire. It doesn't matter what the label says. The most important thing to keep in mind is the proper gauge for the amount of current going through it.

Mat:
You need to buy a special-size rubber grommet to protect your power wire if you feed it through a hole that you drill through the firewall. Road vibrations will cause the insulation to fail after a while (from rubbing against the bare metal) and you will cause a short circuit. This short will fry your power wire and possibly your car, too.

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11168
like I said?

Silver Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 715
Just to clarify...you cant use the same wire as power and ground.. just incase tht's what you meant. The same type of wire can be used, yes... but not the SAME wire..or you'll short things out.

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11175
well.. same wire if you cut it.. yeah.. haha

Anonymous

whats the difference between 4 gauge wiring and 4 AWG???

Silver Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 733
awg = american wire gauge.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us