Factory Monsoon amp bypass?

Bronze Member
Username: Dkchillin

Vermont

Post Number: 21
Here's my situation. I recently switched out the factory HU in my '04 Pontiac Grand Am with a Pioneer DEH-P6400. I was getting a somewhat annoying, yet bearable amp pop whenever the HU turned off or switched source and was told that was due to the factory amp conflicting with the deck and switching off and back on. Now however, with an aftermarket amp and subs installed, my subs fire with the amp pop and it's far less tolerable. I've already had to do a relocation for the deck, as well as split the rear preouts to run the subs so I'm hoping there is there a relatively simple way to bypass the amp? I've been told a number of things about the Monsoon system, including the fact that the rear 6x9s are DVC and would have to be replaced if I wanted to take my factory amp out of the equation, is that valid? Just looking for some more input as I'm starting to feel like I'm getting the run around on this install, Thanks.

Username: Mph

Post Number: 6
Give Crutchfield (www.crutchfield.com) a call as they usually have a wiring harness that will allow you to bypass the factory amp so that you can use the internal amp in your new HU. I used this method and it worked great because all the connections are specific to the manufacturers, no cutting. When you wish to remove the system, just unplug everything as the factory plugs have remained untouched.

Though my bypass didn't involve a Monsoon system, the factory speakers remained the same and worked just fine.

Bob365
Unregistered guest
I have a Monsoon system in my VW. It's not the same speaker setup though because I have 4 tweeters, 2 6.5's and 2 8" woofers. I know mine has some really odd ohm loads and the amp does the crossover work. I would be better off replacing all speakers than trying to get mine to work without the monsoon amp. So before you cut the Monsoon amp, I'd double check with someone who knows your specific system.

To stop the subs from popping, you can just get an amp trigger delay aka pop eliminator.
The problem with the Monsoon is that it uses the music signal as the turn on signal (if it's like mine) there's no separate wire for this.

I really wish that I could have gotten my car without Monsoon, but it automatically came with what I wanted. After replacing the HU, I really haven't had a problem, but it's a deterrent to doing a full speaker replacement for me.

Bronze Member

Vermont

Post Number: 22
I'm in the same boat as far as wishing I DIDN'T have the Monsoon system, it's made things far more complicated to deal with.

Thanks for the suggestion Michael. I shot crutchfield an e-mail to see if they have a bypass harness. It may be a moot point because we had to hack up the harness pretty bad when we put the deck in, but we might be able to work with it.

I looked into that amp trigger delay Bob and I think that might do the trick in at least eliminating the sub pops if the harness doesn't work out. Thanks for your help guys.

Silver Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 137
I have a 2001 Pontiac GP GTP with a Bose system and amp. The speakers are 2ohm and completely controlled by the stupid amp. If adding aftermarket gear, including speakers, there is no valid reason to keep the factory amp, tear it out. My Bose system is actually strong so I keep the mids/highs stock until I need more power to them but they are still loud. I kinda like the stock look so I use a PAC preout adapter, added two sets of outputs so I can add amps. The system even with the stock HU is loud as hell and with my new RE's going in, be even louder. Looks kool, you look inside my car and see two baby seats and nothing else that could lead to a person thinking I had some boom going on, lol. Polo.

Username: Cortez

Post Number: 6
i have a 2004 Buick Rainier with the Bose Audio package (no DVD and no navigation). The only modification to date is the addition of an Infinity Basslink Subwoofer. I'm using a RCA hookup that's connected the driver side speaker wire at the back of the amp. I'd like to replace the stock speakers and add a 4-channel aftermarket amp to the existing head unit. I've searched high and low for some specs on the Bose setup; in particular, is the AMP part of the head unit or does each speaker include it's own amp.

the folks that will install my aftermarket components suggested that i could use the factory head unit as long as the amp(s) are not part of the speaker(s).

can someone point me to a site that provides some insight on the Bose Audio setup?

Post Number: 7
quick correction to my post..."...I'm using a RCA hookup that's connected the driver side speaker wire at the back of the 'head unit' (not the amp)..."

Silver Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 197
Cortez, if your system is anything like mine there is one central amplifier that runs all the speakers. You could use the factory head unit if you liked but I would replace the factory speakers, they are all 2ohm and don't handle much power. I am using a PAC rca adapter at the back of the HU, it has two sets of RCA's going out. What year is your vehicle and do you have a picture of the HU? Polo..

Bronze Member

Vermont

Post Number: 23
So, as it turns out, Crutchfield doesn't make a harness for my car (it was a good thought) and there is really no way around the amp other than taking it out. Unfortunately, since all the speakers run through the amp I'm going to have to rewire the speakers before I can yank the amp. Not a big deal, just time consuming and a pain when it's 15 degrees on all my days off.

Polo is right though Cortez, on most of the factory premium audio setups there will be a central amp somewhere in the car for all the speakers. My Monsoon amp was in the trunk behind the carpeting on the left, but I've also seen them under the front seats and behind the glove box. In terms of finding info, I spent a lot of time just putting my make, model and year into search engines along with "Monsoon System" or "Monsoon Amp", I found that to be the most efficient way to find message board posts with helpful info. Good luck.

Bob365
Unregistered guest
Cortez, the Bose amp is probably behind the dash or under the console. You could try the12volt.com for more info

Darek, did you find the info on your speakers? Like I said, my speakers are weird ohm loads and the Monsoon amp has a cross-over in it for the components. I changed out my HU, but left the Monsoon amp and speaker. The HU is putting out a lot stronger signal than the Monsoon amp expects, but I haven't had a problem. In my case, I would NEVER bypass the Monsoon amp and try to use the factory speakers. If I ditch the Monsoon amp, I'm ditching all the speakers too and rewiring the car.

It seems that everything about the Monsoon is as non-standard as you can get.

Post Number: 8
thanks for the responses... my plans are to keep the head unit, add a 4 channel amp and replace all 4 speakers. i'll search the web for more details on the location of the amp.

Post Number: 9
UPDATE: I successfully upgraded my system with Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1, components in the front and Infinity Kappa 2-way in the rears, all driven by a MTX Thunder 7804, 4-channel amp. I'm still using the stock head unit that came with the Bose System and an Infinity Basslink subwoofer.

It took the installers about 6 hours to complete the job...this included removing the old and installing the new speakers, rewiring the new speakers (connected RCAs to the speaker outs behind the head unit) and installing and wiring the amp. I started out with a Kicker 4-channel Amp, but it had a bad hum in the right rear channel. Took my car back the next day and the installers upgraded me to the MTX at no charge...they could sense my displeasure. Especially when you consider, I just unloaded "a grand" to do this upgrade and it took 8 hours total to complete the job.

Bottom line: I'm a happy camper for sure!!!

NOTE: For other Buick Rainier owners with a Bose System (and no DVD and no Navigation) the amp is located in the rear, passenger side behind a panel in the cargo area.

Silver Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 231
I'm glad to hear it's all good. Not to be a p00p but I wouldn't call going from a kicker to a MTX as an upgrade but this is just my opinion as for all I now use is kicker. So how does it sound? I like the stock look too and my stuff pounds the wrinkles out of the road but I will be upgrading the stock amp/speakers. Got any pictures? Polo.. :-)

Post Number: 10
the first pic shows the amp & the infinity sub. the second pic shows how the amp fit's neatly in the "storage cubby-hole" in the cargo area.

the modified-system sounds waaaaaaaaaaay better than the stock amp and speakers. you may be right about the Kicker amp, but my ears tell me the MTX is working quite well.

UploadUpload
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us