Can you wire 2 4ohm tweeters together for a 2ohm load?

Bronze Member
Username: Bradgman

GAlVeStoN, Tx Usa

Post Number: 20
I have 2 tweeters hooked up and they are both connected to my 4ch amp. They are both on the same channel of the amp and I am wondering if they will be damaged at a 2ohm load. The amp can handle a 2ohm load, but the tweeters are both 4ohm.
thanks

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 1162
as long as you do not have that amp bridged it can handle 2ohm on all 4 channels(stereo mode)

Bronze Member

GAlVeStoN, Tx Usa

Post Number: 21
can the tweeters run at a 2 ohm though? Also, how would you bridge the amp or any amp? Is 1 + and then 1 - from both channels?
Thanks
Brad

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 1191
you can not run that or most 4 channels at a 2 ohm load bridged.... if you do, just put some monsy away to get another...

Silver Member
Username: Pelona

Post Number: 131
i also have the same problem with my tweeters. but the only tweeters i know you can run the amp at 2ohms are the infinity kappa 10.7. Or are there others that are also 2ohms?http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=2937

alteraudiousa
Unregistered guest
well tweeters aren't really effected by ohm loads. Only thing you'll have to worry about is the passive crossover's ohm load if using one. If run active off an amp it won't make a difference.

Silver Member

Post Number: 140
tu que sabes cabron

Bronze Member

GAlVeStoN, Tx Usa

Post Number: 25
I am not sure if they have there own crossover, unless it has one built in it. I have a 4ch amp off a compasitor and another mono amp and 2 subs also off the compasitior if this matters. So, it will make a difference to have the tweeter and the 6.5 together rather then tweeters together on the same channel? IF this is the amp, (1st set- ((1.+-) (2.+-))) (2nd other side ((3.+-) (4.+-))). I would have 1 kappa on 1& 1 kappa on 2 +- on the 1st set, and on the second it goes (3.Tweeter+tweeter), then (4.- 6.5"+6.5" door speakers). The speakers are 2. 4way 6.5 pioneers, off brand 2. dome tweeters, and kappa 6x9 3way. I think the kappas are 2 ohm, but am not sure, and do not know what they are wired to. I think the amp is 2 ohm stable and the tweeters still work. My amp is the kicker 600.4, the older kx model.
Thanks

Silver Member

Post Number: 148
^^^i dont know what the fu.ck you just said

Bronze Member

GAlVeStoN, Tx Usa

Post Number: 28
okay 6 speakers on a 4 channel amp. first +- is a kappa then the next is a kappa. The next 2 sets of +- are the other 4 speakers which are the 2 6.5" on the same channel and the two tweeters on the other same channel

Silver Member

Post Number: 156
this what your trying to say?

1st ch=1 6.5 speaker
2nd ch=1 6.5 speaker
3rd ch=2 kappa tweeters
4th ch=2 kappa tweeters

alteraudiousa
Unregistered guest
i would switch it around, most 4ch amps have EQ/crossovers on the 3 and 4th channels that are geared more for mids and low while the first and second are better on the highs. Are you trying to run active, cause no offense but i don't think you know exactly what you're doing and you won't get as good as sound as if you have a crossover. If you need a crossover but buy one or i'll sell you a set sitting around here. I think i have my Orion and the CDT SatNet 480s around here but they aren't matched to your Infnitys but at least its a start.

Bronze Member

GAlVeStoN, Tx Usa

Post Number: 32
Is this right? Or should I switch them around like you said?
6x9's are fine.
Put a 6.5 with a tweeter on each of the other two channels and you're good to go. Tweeters are generally pre wired with a small cap to block low freqs. Yours must be since they're still working.

Upload

Bronze Member

GAlVeStoN, Tx Usa

Post Number: 33
Should the kappas 6x9 be on amp 2?

Silver Member

Post Number: 170
you should put the 6x9s on chs 3 and 4 if its true what alteraudiousa says about those two channels getting more bass.

the pair of 6.5 speakers and tweeters will be at a 2ohm load. the only speakers and tweeters i could think of thatr 2ohm are the kappa coaxials and tweeters. Or are there others?

i dont think you could run 4ohm speakers and tweeters when the amp is running at 2ohms.

Bronze Member

GAlVeStoN, Tx Usa

Post Number: 38
Thanks, so I should put 1 tweeter with 1 6.5" and the channels don't matter on this amp? I am good doing it like the model above or opposite? Why does 1 tweeter go better with 1 6.5" then 2 tweeters and 2 6.5"? Just curious? Also, if this matters, I have only 1 rca output from the head unit into the 4ch amp, but 1 ends branches out to 2 ends so it is connected to 4 total rca's like a Y, so it fills up all 4 RCA outputs. I just have 1 set of +- going to the amp, but they are connected with 2 RCA each so I have ++&--. Does, this matter and how should I run that? I am guessing that I just match them up by +-+-. I think the other RCA cables are ran to the other amp and then the AUX output has nothing on it. I think my headunit kenwood 5028 has 4 outputs and 2 Aux. Is this okay how it was wired? Should I just play with the fade on the head unit until it is right or will it not be right with the 1 RCA cable?
Thanks for all the help!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us