Yes or no? are power acoustic amps overated?

Silver Member
Username: Blainew

Post Number: 649
will i get like 75 % of rated or what??

Silver Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Post Number: 923
You'll probably get some of the rated wattage, but they'll be driven into clipping easily.

If you're on that type of budget (like myself) look into Audiobahn amps. Specifically the Audiobahn Intake Series amps. They have several useful models which can be had for $150 or less on E-Bay, brand new! Guaranteed to put out power they are rated in RMS, and they seem to handle long periods of brutality as well, just keep vented so the fan can circulate some air.

Silver Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 280
PA's class D's are very powerful, but not what's stated.

The A/B's - hard to say really, you don't see a lot of legit power tests done on them, but the one I messed with was the OV4-800 which was rated at 85x4 and it was definitely in the ballpark. 75% would be a conservative estimation IMO.

FWIW - if you're looking for some power on a budget www.profilecaraudio.com is almost GIVING away refurbs. The CA600 for example is about $75 shipped and is ~400 real watts.

Silver Member
Username: Blainew

Post Number: 650
alright thanks my friend is looking for a cheap 2000 RMS ..two amps or one

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 4216
www.ikesound.com

Viper 2500.1
Directed 2400D

Silver Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 287
the A3000DB should be around 2KW at 1 ohm ~14v.

test reports range between 1800 and 2300.

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 4219
"test reports range between 1800 and 2300"

^^^Thats a big gap.lol

Silver Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 289
well, that's the range, besides the difference between the two would be nearly inaudible.

Gold Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 1369
Nearly inaudible? That's 500 watts man... That's quite a bit of power.

Silver Member
Username: Lbeckner

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 476
ne one know of performance tecnique amps? an audio dealer in LA swore by them.

Silver Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 305
Jake - in a perfect world - doubling power nets a 3 db gain - 500w = 28% of 1800 = <1dB gain, and being that it's NOT a perfect world - it would be even less than that.

Gold Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 1372
Ok... argue if you want. But messing with Eclipse Ti's in my friend's car, 500 watts made a hell of a difference...

Silver Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 313
going from 500 to 1000 is a BIG difference, from 1800 to 2300 -- not so much.

Luke - Perf Tek shares the same mailing address with...
Volfenhag
Rockwood
American Hi-Fi
Audiofonics
Koiiler
American Pro Audio
Phoenix Digital
DHD

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 4798
in regards 2 the thread title YES ! - but pretty durable amps in my bro's experience cause he has their amps in his daily driver now 6+ yrs now & they never failed yet ......

Obviously there r alot of better products out there but in a higher price range ...........

Silver Member
Username: Matt12490

Benicia, California

Post Number: 282
Would you trust buying referbished amps from ikesound? This one I am eyeing.

http://www.ikesound.com/product-product_id/2164

Silver Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 581
Find out if they're factory refurbished, or refurbished by the retailer. That makes a big difference. If it's factory refurbished, chances are, it's a new amp with an old case..

It's less costly to put in entirely new insides, than paying an employee an hourly rate to open up the amp, find out what's wrong, and repair it.

Silver Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 582
Also, saying the difference between 1800 and 2300 watts is inaudible is a joke.

The whole thing about being able to not tell the difference when it's less than one dB.. well, the thing is - dB's grow exponentiallly.. I.E. 80 dB is twice as loud (roughly) as 70 dB...

So the difference beteween say, 150, and 151 dB, is a LOT greater, than the difference between 85, and 86 dB.

Silver Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 335
wrong

Silver Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 336
it's exponentially harder to get from 150-151, the difference in sound is exactly the same.

Silver Member
Username: Matt12490

Benicia, California

Post Number: 288
Ok so has anyone bought refurbished amps off their site?? If so any feedback? especially on the directed audio amps.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5461
"Also, saying the difference between 1800 and 2300 watts is inaudible is a joke.

The whole thing about being able to not tell the difference when it's less than one dB.. well, the thing is - dB's grow exponentiallly.. I.E. 80 dB is twice as loud (roughly) as 70 dB...

So the difference beteween say, 150, and 151 dB, is a LOT greater, than the difference between 85, and 86 dB."

On a linear scale that would be true. The problem is that our hearing IS NOT linear. The decibel scale, like our hearing, is logarithmic. To our ears, a 1db gain is 1db gain regardless of what the reference level is, 151 over 150 is no more substantial than 21 over 20.

1800 watts and 2300 watts isn't a substantial difference. It may impress somebody, but you aren't going to notice a lot of difference when you're adding 500W to what is already a very high level of power.

Silver Member
Username: Lbeckner

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 502
I agree with jonathan. I went from 1500 watts to 2500 watts and could tell little difference. I think that if you double your power you only gain like 3db right? So by adding 1000 watts I only gained 2db right?

Silver Member
Username: Lil_jon

Post Number: 298
I agree with jonathan. I went from 1500 watts to 2500 watts and could tell little difference. I think that if you double your power you only gain like 3db right? So by adding 1000 watts I only gained 2db right?

dunno heard to double i heard to get twice as loud with 1000 watts you have to go with 3000 watts

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5480
Double power is 3db increase

4x power is 6db increase

Doubling percieved volume requires 10x the power and is a 10db increase.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us