Hypothetical Question

Bronze Member
Username: Parad0x

Post Number: 20
Hypothetically what would happen in this case..

SVC 4 ohm sub.

with a 2 CH amp rated at the following.

2 x 100 Watts RMS @ 4 ohms

1 x 200 Watts RMS @ 2 ohms stable (2 ch bridged into 1)

Now... I have a 4 ohm sub right, so what would happen to the power/resistance if I were to hook it up bridged to the amp with the connection that was ment for a connection running at a 200 watts @ 2 ohms

Silver Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 327
What amp, those specs do not seem right, most 2ch amps will not bridge down to 2ohm. If so the theory is that a 4ohm brdiged will see the same as a 2ohm stereo load.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
"What amp, those specs do not seem right, most 2ch amps will not bridge down to 2ohm. If so the theory is that a 4ohm brdiged will see the same as a 2ohm stereo load. "

Ahh. Well My question wasnt really as much if it is possible or not to find an amp like that. it was more about what would happen to the 4 ohm SVC subwoofer if you tried to connect it to an amp that was wired to run at 2 Ohms? Would the amplifier detect the 4 ohm resistance from the subwoofer and simply bypass the 2 ohm it was going to provide, and instead run at 4 ohms?

Silver Member

Post Number: 329
the amp will only read what the speaker ohm load is, and most 2channels will not handle a 2ohm load. If it as single 4, then that is all it can read.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
Okay.. then why do people tell me now to run all 4 channels bridged with this current amp with this one 4 ohm SVC subwoofer? My reason given was that it would not run stable at 2 Ohms.. But what you are just telling me is that, this 4 ohm SVC subwoofer can Only run at 4 OHMS.. So then what would happen if I bridged all 4 channels into 1? Took the + from channel 1, and - from channel 4? It would still run at 4 ohs correct? And what would the power be? Wouldnt it be better then running only 2 of the 4 channels?
=========================
THUMP T5406 800-WATT 4 -CHANNEL AMPLIFIER

"Specifications 800W

4 X 100W RMS @ 4?

STEREO, 4 X 150W RMS@ 2?

STEREO 2 X 200W RMS @ 4?

MONO FULL MOSFET CIRCUITRY 2?

STEREO STABLE, 4? STABLE BRIDGED ADJUSTABLE GAIN CONTROL REGULATED POWER SUPPLY YELLOW ANODIZED HEAT-SINK BLACK CHROME CHASSIS SPECIAL FINS FOR ADDITIONAL COOLING 3-WAY PROTECTION CIRCUIT GOLD-PLATED TERMINALS THD 0.05% DIM: 10.5W X 2H X 7.75L"

This above amplifier, with the below subwoofer (manual was hard to read, so might be a few typos).

Upload

--------------------------
SVC 15" 4 ohms subwoofer

Phoenix Gold XS154
Revc (DC VC res) 3.34 ohms
1evc (inductance@1Khz) 2.27 mH
Res Freq 19.77Hz
Piston Area 0.081m^2
BL (Flux Length) 12.88TM
SPL0 (SPL @ 1W) 91 dB
Qms (Mech Q) 4.74
Qes (Elec Q) 0.39
Qts (Total Q) 0.36
Vos (Acous Vol) 387.58L
Cms (Compliance) 416pM/N
Mms (Total Mass) 155.85g
P8 (Thermal Power Handling) 300W
Xmax 7.5mm
Vc (Voice Coil Diameter) 2.0in
Vdd (Driver Displacement) 385in^3
Mounting Diameter 13 7/8 in
Mounting Depth 6 3/4 in

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
wow, what a bit typoe.. I meant to say

"Okay.. then why do people tell me NOT to run all 4 channels bridged with this current amp with this one 4 ohm SVC subwoofer? "

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
wow, what a big typo.. I meant to say

"Okay.. then why do people tell me NOT to run all 4 channels bridged with this current amp with this one 4 ohm SVC subwoofer? "

Silver Member

Post Number: 331
that amp can only be ran at the most 2 channels, bridging 1&2, then 3&4 as you can see. I see that it is a Mobile Authority Amp, you can run a 4ohm load brideged to each set of channels.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
" I see that it is a Mobile Authority Amp, you can run a 4ohm load brideged to each set of channels."

Really? Please tell me how to wire that then to my one SVC subwoofer. And doing it this way your about to tell me, I take it I have to switch the "MODE" to 4 CH manually?

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 694
So by what Ty says, you'd have to bridge 1 set of channels and run your sub off that. You'd have the other 2 channels just laying there, but you could run your speakers/comps off of them.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
"So by what Ty says, you'd have to bridge 1 set of channels and run your sub off that. You'd have the other 2 channels just laying there, but you could run your speakers/comps off of them."

Are you sure? I read that as he meaning I can bridge 1/2, and 3/4.. and then hook the sub up to both bridged channels. I swear thats what I think he meant lol.

Can you guys please tell me why I cannot run 1 to 4 bridged? (aka, + from ch 1, and - from ch 4) and simply use both sides of the amplifier?? I am sure there is some advantage in using both sides of the amplifier, then just running 1+2 CH bridged and using only ONE side of the amplifier? Can somebody please explain with a reason if I cannot do this, other then I will get full distortion?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
I know I wont be able to run at 2 ohms, I understand that now.. but wouldnt the load be shared across both sides of the amplifier? Wouldnt anygood come out of this such as more power while remainging at the same 4 ohms?

Silver Member

Post Number: 341
Does that amop have a mode select, example, 4,3,2m or one, that tells you how that amp can be configured, i have never seen a 4chahnel with the capability to run mono.Also if the specs only call for it being rated powerx2 then that is the best it can be wired to. It has to do with the way the amp is built.

Silver Member

New Jersey US

Post Number: 696
Adrian, I think I understand what you're getting at. If you bridge your amp and it's stable for 100W at 2 ohms and you wire your 4 ohm sub into that, I'm pretty sure it's still just going to see the 4 ohm load, so it'll still only put out whatever it would put out at 4 ohms. That's my guess, trying to think from common sense, but someone like Jonathan or Issac with more theoretical knowledge might have a different answer.

Silver Member

New Jersey US

Post Number: 697
Also, you'll only hurt your amp if your speaker load is LOWER than what the amplifier is stable at.

Silver Member

New Jersey US

Post Number: 698
http://www.savinglots.com/lotprod.asp?item=T5406
As per that webpage:
Features

# 4 x 100 W RMS @ 2 Ohm Stereo
# 4 x 150 W MAX @ 2 Ohm Stereo

# 2 x 200 W RMS @ 4 Ohm Mono

# Adjustable Gain Control
# 2 Ohm Stereo Stable, 4 Ohm Bridged
# Dimensions: 10 i½i½ W x 2i½ H x 7 i½i½ L

So if you bridged a set of channels, you'd get 4 ohm mono, which you'd want for your sub. It says nothing about being able to bridge all 4 channels. You really should read the manual that you got with your amp to know all this for sure tho.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us