Can you hook up subs to a stock cd player unit??

Greggs
Unregistered guest
my sis just got a new truck with cs player and i wanted to get her some subs.... and i was wondering if i had to get a new head unit or if i could connect to cd player that she already has??? if so.. how do i take it out to plug in the rca wires in that back.. thanks

Silver Member
Username: Robert_d

MIA, FL USA

Post Number: 287
you would have to get an amplifier then connect the subs to the amplifier
if you just try to hook the subwoofers to the head unit the head unit plays 5-20,000hz of music tone
subwoofers only play from about 25-80 adverage that means the subwoofer will be very distorted trying to play all those other tones
as well 20rms (adverage watts a head unit puts out) is barely enough to even hear the subwoofer when ur looking straight at it
the rca cables in the back are for telling the amplifier what notes to amplify for the subwoofer they do not put out power
an amplifier basically turns amps (what your car battery gives out) into watts
so basically it is pretty expenisve just to add a subwoofer
for a little bass it will cost as much as 200$ for decent bass around 400$ and massive bass your gunna have to upgrade your charging system (alternator , power wires, and a battery)

Bronze Member
Username: Catalin

Surrey, BC Canada

Post Number: 15
Yes it's definetely possible and easier than you may think.
Like Robert mentioned you will need an amplifier to make this all work.. JBL and MTX amplifiers will be your best bet to integrate to the factory head unit.

See a local car audio dealer and they should be able to help you out without any problems.

g luck

Greggs
Unregistered guest
well the system i'm going to put in is just the 1200 peak watt explod amp with explod sub.... only like 400 rms but it still ok for my sis... going in her ranger or small truck...

Greggs
Unregistered guest
so stock head units come with rca wires in the back just like if u were to buy a head unit from store??

Silver Member

MIA, FL USA

Post Number: 288
a tip . dont go with xplod and dont go with max/peak watt power

try an alpine type R and kicker kx400.1 or kx600.1 or xenon x400.1 or xenon x600.1
u can get them on ebay for pretty cheap
like 120$ shipped for the alpine type r 12"
160$ for the kx and x400.1
200$ for the kx and x600.1
that will get alot louder deeper cleaner than the xplod

Silver Member

MIA, FL USA

Post Number: 289
most likely a stock one probily will not only way is to look behind but if it doenst you can buy a little line inverter or something i froget the name you connect your rear speaker wires into and it forms it into 2 rca cables where your plug in your amp
although im not sure if you lose your back speakers or u can just splice the wire
can someone answer this for him im not to sure about those line inverters or w/e they are called

Greggs
Unregistered guest
well my friend is just giving the sub with the box for free and i have the xplod amp just sitting around... so i don't feel like spending more money... like in my car i got 2 p3's with audiobahn amp... it sounds pretty good...
back to the head unit... this is the specs on the unit in the car.... does it have what i need to set up my small system...??
AM/FM stereo with CD player, CD changer controls and auxiliary audio input jack provides 66 watts of power and 12 AM and 12 FM station presets.

Bronze Member

Surrey, BC Canada

Post Number: 16
No stock headunits will not have RCA outputs. The reason why I suggested MTX or JBL is that in addition to having a built-in high level or speaker level input, they have the ability to turn-on when it senses voltage on the speaker inputs. This will eliminate turn on/off pops.

The Sony should have high level so you won't need an external adpater BUT you have to connect the amp turn on to ignition. Unless the head unit has a remote out.

Username: Andy305mia

Post Number: 1
i have a rockford fosgate t5002 briged into 2 ohms, and 1 puch p3 12" subs wired into 2 ohms. i have an optima yellow top battery, and a 4 gauge cable and ground. i have it hooked up to my factory radio using a converter for the rca's that hook up into my rear speakers and act as an rca input. when i turn the volume and the gain on my remote bass up the subs cut off but the led light doesnt turn off so i know the amp is on the whole time its happening. can it be my radio? are the cables too small? i have the gain turned up half way on the actual amp. please help

Bronze Member

Surrey, BC Canada

Post Number: 23
So you're saying that it all lights up but there is no output from the amp?

Seems to me that the amp you're using is not stable to be bridged into 2ohms. If not then it will shut down when it seems this load. If you cannot exchange the amp or sub then your only choice is to wire the voice coils in stereo off the amplifier.
If you can replace one of the two then your best bet is to replace the amp with a mono block or 'D' class amplifier that is designed for subwoofers only and can be wired into a 2 ohm load.

Unregistered guest
I have a 2002 honda accord se and i checked the stock head unit and it dosent have rca outputs what kind of connector do i need?

Bronze Member

Surrey, BC Canada

Post Number: 26
You need anb amplifier with high level in or speaker level input.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 2151
http://www.electronixwarehouse.com/car/sgl-prod/accessories/line-converters/pac- sni35.htm

Or you could just buy a new headunit from ebay used for a great deal.

Unregistered guest
i cant afford a new or used head unit and i alerady hav an amp but it only takes rca inputs is there any kind of connector that i can buy for my head unit?

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2155
Did you click on the link I provided above?

Bronze Member

Surrey, BC Canada

Post Number: 27
Yes you'll need a speaker level to RCA adaptor.

Here's an example of one.
[url]http://www.soundgate.com/index.php?request=product.details&categoryid=208&produc tid=475&usereferrer=1[/url]

Any local car audio shop should be able to help you.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2156
Quit being cheap and just buy a headunit.

brrr
Unregistered guest
thanks catalin

Anonymous

Instead of a amp could u use a cross over?

Username: Rust1d

Post Number: 2
JL Audio CleanSweep

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_cleansweep_pages.php?page_id=79

Aftermarket sound with a factory head unit? You bet...
As automakers continue to abandon the stand-alone, standard-sized head-unit in favor of integrated designs, JL Audio's product development team felt that a need existed for a high-quality integration solution. This product would need to deliver world-class audio results while not interfering with vehicle functionality, safety or reliability.

To this end, we embarked on a two-year project to develop CleanSweep -- a patent-pending, DSP-based solution that permits almost any factory-installed audio system to serve as the source for a high-performance aftermarket sound system while also providing input for an additional source of your choice.

jake000
Unregistered guest
I have no amp, how do i hook my subwoofer to my cd player?

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2237
You don't.

JustAnOrdinaryMan
Unregistered guest
dude just unhook the speaker cables from stock speakers and hook up ur subs to them, it wont be as good as with an amp, but it will slump amazingly good inside the car, and mite not be herd from the outside, i did it to my friends car and hes happy with it.

Unregistered guest
i have a question, okay my car is a 2003 beetle, and it has a cassette plyaer and a cd changer, exept cd changer was stolen, and would there be anyway to hook up a ordinary small cd player to the stereo without a cassette player converter. just asking cuz i wanna know if i can save some money by doing it this way, plz tell me if its possible and how i can do it, huge thanks

email me reply at [crossroads_thuggin@hotmail.com]
thnx, bye

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2245
Yes, but it's expensive.

kthxbi

dadirtydozen
Unregistered guest
if i wanna hook up a 8in bazooka tube into a bmw and keep the stock head unit do i need to buy a crossover....the tube is self powered....

Unregistered guest
i have a 1998 honda accord with a stock cd player. i also have a amp and subs i bought. the amp takes RcA cables and my head unit does not have rca out puts soo what can i do to by pass this

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2321
Some really good advice was given in this thread...

Unregistered guest
i have a sansui cd player, dvd player that came with 2 speakers and a subwoofer. but over time the sub is sounding awful and id like to know if you can connect a 12 inch sub in box to the dvd player using the 2 cables that connected into the subwoofer that came with dvd player is this possible without any amps thanks

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2348
It is, but the low impedence of the sub could ruin the head unit and the sub would sound like garbage anyway as it would be so underpowered.

aidanp69
Unregistered guest
thanks for the info jexx how would it sound like garbage? but it would still work? to make it work what would in need cos i would like to know how loud do you think it would be if i was to stet it up how i said before thanks heaps
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us