What amp to use for my sub?? new to this stuff

Beaver
Unregistered guest
I got one 12" Alpine type R 1241D, 300rms, I was wondering what's a good amp that would match up with this sub.

VAclipsin
Unregistered guest
What are the resistance of the voice coils.

Anonymous

the 1241D is dual 4ohm

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2038
Alpine MRD-300

beaver
Unregistered guest
any other suggestions?

beaver
Unregistered guest
what about the wiring? what wiring should i get?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2052
JBL BP300.1

www.knukonceptz.com for wiring kits

beaver
Unregistered guest
do you like the alpine or the jbl amp better?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2059
either one is a good amp for your setup.
I believe the Alpine has a subsonic filter hich will help if the box for the sub is ported.
I figured since you have an Alpine sub, the matching amp would be a nice touch..

beaver
Unregistered guest
thanks for the help GlassWolf, one more thing is there a big difference in 8 ga or 4 ga wires?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2070
yeah, there is.
here's a chart for cable sizing and the amount of power each size can accept based on distance run:
http://www.the12volt.com/info/recwirsz.asp

Username: Speakerbox

Post Number: 1
When you purchase an Amp, check the instructions to see the specific wire gague.

Any amp starter kit will include a power chord, ground chord, remote chord (REM), and RCA cables.

You will need speaker wires which you can find at car audio stores (or Best Buy, Sears, Circuit City) that shouldn't be more than $2-$4 per 5 ft. You can just cut the wires in half (Make sure you install the positive and negative correct) and with that amp the sub should have a clean sound.

I'm not good with specific amp models, I just know them by watts and channels. If the amp is 2-channel and 400watts or better your sound quality will be great.

If you have a stock radio you will need an RCA adapter that will cost $15 - $30.

What type of vehicle do you have?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2104
"When you purchase an Amp, check the instructions to see the specific wire gague."

not if he's running more than one amplifier from that same cable with a power distribution block. Then he has to combine the current drawn and then figure out the gauge he'll need.

"Any amp starter kit will include a power chord, ground chord, remote chord (REM), and RCA cables."

it's "cord" (a chord is a musical note) and not all kits come with the RCA lines, so be careful.
some kits include the speaker wire as well.
18-16ga is fine for components, and 16-14ga is fine for most sub applications.
Anything larger is really just for show with speaker wire.

" If the amp is 2-channel and 400watts or better your sound quality will be great."

now what sort of crap is this? the power rating of an amp has no bearing on how the system will sound.
I can show you a two channel 1600 watt sony amp that sounds like a cat in heat. I can show you just as easily, a 30 watt per channel stereo amp made by McIntosh Labs that costs $35,000 and sounds like pure gold to someone who knows anything about higher end audio.
One of my favorite amplifier lines, the older Orion SX and HCCA lines, only made amps rated for up to 250wRMS x 2 @ 4 ohms (and that was the biggest, which was about 28" long and fan cooled with a four figure pricetag back in 1990)
Gorgeous amps, and all of them were high current amps (stable to 1 ohm or .5 ohms depending on model) but in any event the power rating for them wasn't all that high for most. This doesn't mean they were insufficient.
I've seen IASCA Pro circuit winning cars driven with two 225HCCA amps.
that's a total of two 25wRMS x 2 @ 4 ohm amps.
100 watts total

"If you have a stock radio you will need an RCA adapter that will cost $15 - $30."

most amps these days have high level inputs already. The LOC isn't required.

Username: Speakerbox

Post Number: 7
Doesn't the RCA connection have better quality than the high level input?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2137
yup, if you have line level as an option.
that RX8 actually kept the Bose head unit that's integrated into the dash console, and is used for his Navi setup. In the case of his Bose system, the factory line level signal is 10 volts, so the LOCs had to decrease voltage to to 8 volts for a clean signal to the amplifiers.
Works splendidly though.
Now he's looking at switching from his old RF amp and his two 12W3 subs to a Kicker 02KX1200.1 amp and two Eclipse Titanium 12" subs in a sealed box.
Man that is going to be sweet.

beaver
Unregistered guest
i have a 95 lexus es300, so what amp kit should i get for the one 12" type r and the mrd-300?

beaver
Unregistered guest
also what are all the wire that i need for all that?

beaver
Unregistered guest
I need a new deck right?

beaver
Unregistered guest
so whats some advice

Unregistered guest
Get a JL 1000w amp and get 2 infinity sub's. It well be nice as hell. Really low bass.

beaver
Unregistered guest
can anyone help me with those last questions?

Bronze Member
Username: Vipersbyms

Post Number: 49
u can get an 8 gauge wire kit for the mrd 300. i recommend stinger wire. they all come w/ power, ground, remote, fuse and fuse holder, and the accessories you need. some of them come with rca cables, and some do not. you will need rca cables to run from the amp to the HU. i would highly recommend that you do get a head unit.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2466
" have a 95 lexus es300, so what amp kit should i get for the one 12" type r and the mrd-300?"

8AWG amp kit www.knukonceptz.com

"also what are all the wire that i need for all that?"

should include everything you need in the wiring kit

"I need a new deck right?"

not really. most good amps have high-level inputs so you can tap into the rear speaker leads for signal, and run the sub with the factory stereo system.

as for the amp, subs, and box to use, that will depend on budget and listening tastes.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us