Smoked up my amp, help

Bronze Member
Username: Carolinablue637

Lincoln, NE USA

Post Number: 12
Ok you guys are just going to cringe and say im an idiot but ill throw it out there anyway. I bought a kicker kx1200.1 amp on ebay, hooked it up to my subs at one ohm and it worked fine for a minute, i got in my car and just went crap cause i smelled that smell that noone wants to smell. i opened my trunk and smoke billowed out. the power light is still on on the amp tho. the guy said hed give me my money back if it was the amp just going bad and if i didnt blow the internal fuse. i thought kicker amps didnt have fuses and thats why you had to have a good fuse in the power cord. comments would be appreciated on what i should do or what you think happened. thanks guys

Bronze Member

Lincoln, NE USA

Post Number: 14
also, if i only have an 80 amp fuse on it is that big enough?

Silver Member
Username: Iufan4lifeul

Post Number: 599
really hard to tell what was wrong. I have a 60 amp fuse on my kx450.2 (450X1RMS) so 80 sounds kind of small but the fuse would just blow not blow up. Could be the voice coils of the subwoofers. Any way you can post/email a picture of the amp and how it is setup to the subs etc.?

Bronze Member

Lincoln, NE USA

Post Number: 15
its not the subs. thats what i thought too, had a dealer test em and said there fine. its set up for one ohm mono, i got the wiring diagram off crutchfield.com, the fuse is fine its just the amp. wouldnt a smaller fuse just restrict power? and wouldnt it blow the fuse first? thats what doesnt make sense to me

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1412
no, fuses are not ment to restrict the power going to an amp.

fuses will "blow" when there is enough current to heat them to the point at which they actually burn or melt. fuses can allow more than their rated amperage to pass for a minimal amount of time, after that they will heat up and "blow".

ex: a 60amp fuse and have 100A of current running through it for a little while, but it will blow after it heats up.

current + resistance = heat :-)

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1413
by the way, thats not a actual equation...

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1414
one more thing...lol

the kx1200.1 doesnt have an internal fuse, it was prolly a bad amp when you got it.

Bronze Member
Username: Unicars

Guangzhou, Guangdong China

Post Number: 29
what is the material of its cover? perhaps it is the cover can't disperse the heat well.

Bronze Member

Lincoln, NE USA

Post Number: 16
wow, no idea, metal of some kind lol, but its a kicker amp so im sure they thought about the heat aspect

Bronze Member
Username: Unicars

Guangzhou, Guangdong China

Post Number: 38
lol. really, i don't think so.
some times, they don't use the metal material on the whole cover. there are few amplifiers covered by whole aluminium.

Bronze Member

Lincoln, NE USA

Post Number: 17
well got any ideas on what happened and how to fix it or who to get it looked at by besides sending it back to kicker?

Gold Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 1181
Yea, and internal fuse is rare...

And dude, only smoke up the green sh1t...

:P

And Lucky: nah, just send it in. It's not worth your time unless you know wtf you're doing.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us