Which one would you choose

Silver Member
Username: Cenus

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 527
i have two AA atlas's and need a amp i was thinking of either a kx600.1 or mtx 801d but as im looking around i found that i can get a kx1200.1 for $100 more then the mtx and $60 more than the 600.1 so which would u choose the mtx 801d for $260, kicker kx600.1 $300 or kx1200.1 for $360. and i'm using the stock alternator untill i can save some money, but its pretty big i think its 95amps.

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 1256
I would prefer a Kicker cause they are higher ranking than MTX

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3981
I would go with the kicker 1200.1 the only difference between the 600.1 and the 1200.1 is that the 1200.1 is 1ohm stable, they both put out the same amount of power at 2ohms. The nice bennefit about the 1200 is being able to expand later.:-) Thats a nice price by the way.

Silver Member

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 528
ya i know there on sale and only have two left. would the 1200.1 draw to much current, cause all i have is the stock alternator untill i can save some money. i think stock is like 95amps.

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 2259
yes, the 1200 would draw too much current.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 4674
Dustin, you'd be surprised what size the stocks are. On the average, they around 75A, some even lower, 60A and still others around 105A. One thing is common, they all have around 20A to play with. Anything more, and you'll start seeing dimming lights.
Rarely will car manufacturers give ample power for external amps.

Silver Member

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 529
so do you what size of alternator a 1994 jeep chereoke has or a place where i can find out. so should i go with the 600.1 or 1200.1 and just upgrade my alternator.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4679
If you keep the volume down and use self control, you can get by with stock.
Best place to get your alternator size is your Jeep dealer. Ask the service department.
Since it's a jeep, upgrading the alternator has some perks. You can for example attach super bright spot lights, extra towing motor, power inverter etc. It's not just for audio.

Silver Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Post Number: 509
What's odd, is my stock I found out is 105A for a 2002 Mercury Cougar lol. But it died, the high end of it to be exact, and Ford charged an arm and a leg to replace a STOCK alt. Price pushed $650. It was BS!

Anyways, the new alt seems to be holding up good, with no dimming at all! Maybe the old one was just on its last leg to begin with, and adding the amp/sub/HU setup didn't help it. Oh well, I still hate Ford's idea of a fair price.

This brings me to another problem. I want to get a H/O alt this Xmas, and I don't know where to get one. I tried the usual sites posted, and emailed my car's specs and everything, and I was ignored. I want to get about a 160-180A. What's a fair price and where can I find one?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4682
Tyler, $650 is a robbery. HO alternators costs round $150 - $300, depending on the model and make of your car.
Look under accessories. There was a thread with links and prices. Have you tried Nathan? I think MO bought his from him.
I got mine from 4alterstart.com.

Silver Member

Post Number: 512
Well the only good thing about what happened with Ford is my Grandfather picked up the tab for my Mom and I. Gotta love loving grandparents! Although I got a lecture about how you don't add stuff to cars that isn't stock AKA, my system as it only causes problems...and how speakers draw current (Yea, took me an hour to explain to my grandparents that speakers don't draw current from sitting there.)

Oh well...*sighs*

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3986
Dustin I am not really following why you would need a bigger alt with the 1200.1 and not the 600.1? If you are running the 600.1 at 2ohms with the atlas' you will get 600 watts. Now if you run the 1200.1 with the same set-up at 2ohms you will get 600 watts. No matter how you look at it you are going to be pulling the same current from any 600 watt amp but where you would have to worry is if you dropped it to 1 ohm on the 1200.1 then you get the full 1200 watts where the 600.1 is not 1ohm stable. Also your stock cherokee alt should be 135 atleast mine was.

Silver Member

Post Number: 513
Well Isaac, I checked that site. I guess I'm going to be stuck ordering from the local Advanced Auto Parts (that should be cheap - yea right). They sell Bosch H/O alternators I think. Are they any good?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4685
Yea they're alright. My alternator had bosch parts in it.
If they charge you more than $350, you're getting ripped off.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3989
Yes Bosch are fine. Just make sure that if they have a 150 amp and a 200 amp the price prob wont be much different if you can front the cost go with the 200. always prepare for the future:-)

Silver Member
Username: Lil_jon

Post Number: 164
tyler ecessive amperage can make me a 275 alt mayb he can hook u up

Silver Member

Post Number: 514
Nevermind THAT. Seems the only H/O alternators I can find are 130A Ford Motorcraft Alternators. I've checked like EVERYWHERE. No one has 2002 Mercury Cougar H/O alternators. Heck, finding cold air intake for my car is hard...

I know they stopped making the Cougar and all, but SHEESH.

Anyone got some ideas? I don't even want to add a 4-Channel amp until I get a H/O alt in my possession.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3992
there are companies that will take your stock alt and rebuild them to whatever you want. I am not sure the cost I have never done it but I am sure someone on here knows. Lil Jon had a idea look into that.

Silver Member

Post Number: 516
Do I want powder coated?

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3993
if it doesnt cost much then yes absolutly powder coating is the best protection from the elements you can get.

Silver Member

Post Number: 517
I'm checking into Lil's place. Hopefully I can get a good price. I was looking at 160-180A and hoping to not go over $200. That's kind of pushing I know, but I've got a little bit of a budget.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3994
you should be able to find something in that range.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4691
4alterstart.com will take your stock alternator and upgrade it. You should try giving them a call.

Silver Member

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 531
well muddy said that the 1200.1 would draw to much current, but i wasn't sure, so i should be fine if i keep the volume low.

Silver Member

Post Number: 524
Ah I see. The thing is, taking out the stock alt for a time would be hard. Then what car do I drive? It's still, "the family car" until this Summer when it's paid off and I get it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4692
Tyler, you can buy a used alternator cheap and send that in for upgrade.

Silver Member

Post Number: 530
Oh...Hrmmm...It's an idea.

Yea, I'm going to get to gold member pretty quickly with my worthless posts...

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 4000
Isaac beat me to it(damnyou) lol

Silver Member

Post Number: 531
I think I'm just going to have to take the initiative and CALL Mr. Alternator when I absolutely have the cash. At least then I know I'm talking to someone...instead of sending repeat emails...

Silver Member

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 533
oh sh!t, i was reading about the 1200.1 i can get for 355 and it says its a refurb, so are refurb amps just as good a brand new amp.

Silver Member

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 536
any1

dayton, ohio
Unregistered guest
hey guys i have an 01 nissan pathfinder i am planning on getting the kicker L7 sub 2 ohms with the kicker sx650 amp and using 0 gauge wire, however my battery died on me so i went out to sears and got a new die hard gold battery installed and i was wondering if i would need to purchase a capacitor for the system or not and if so would a 1 farad work fine?
so i was just wondering if someone could help me out with it that would be great thanks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us