Keeps cutting out

Username: Titanbk

Mansfield, CT USA

Post Number: 1
I have a 96 eclipse with 1 15" MA Audio hard kore, 1 3200 watt visonik amp, 5 farad rack mount audiobahn capacitor, 154 continuous amp alternator, 2 batteries, SPL Components, 1 JBL 600 watt amp for components, 1 custom made 5 cubic foot box for subwoofer. After approximatley 10 minutes of playing it sounds like the cd player is skipping but it still plays smoothly. I had the amp run at 1 ohm mono, now its at 2 ohm mono and it made alittle difference but not much. The amp is a high current amp but runs very hot not sure if its too hot and is going into a thermal protection. Anybody got any ideas?

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 1706
If it goes into thermal protection, you'll know because it powers off completely. The gains might be set too high.

Also, is the 154 amps reserve current capacity? Or the alt capacity total?

Bronze Member
Username: Deezel

Post Number: 61
Perhaps you don't have enough power to run that system?

I mean, seriously? You have 154 amps, and that's great, but, even though I can't find that Visionk amp, I am going to say its 1500 watts RMS, that's more amp draw then your alternator. Add on the 600 watts RMS of the speaker amp, that's over 210 amps of draw.

Plus, you have that 5 Farad Audiobahn capacitor, which I am guessing is one of those square deals right? Well, in all likely-hood, its ESR is high enough to make it nothing more then more stress on your alternator.

Its possible that you are driving your car's alternator into the ground.

That could be why you are getting that skipping sound, I had something simliar happen to me when my alternator went on me in my old truck I used to have.

Silver Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 189
I had this problem when my alternator was starting to fail... At high volume, the highs would sound like they were skipping, but the bass would play without missing a beat, but my voltage was dropping dangerously low, too.

A new amplifier, and replacing the battery I inadvertently destroyed (an optima red top) solved this issue.

Mansfield, CT USA

Post Number: 2
my alternator runs at 154 at idle under a full load test, now I have not upgraded my wire from the alternator to the first battery, think it will make a big difference? As far as the cutting out a friend suggested maybe a bad cell in one of my batteries. I thought maybe it was the capacitor cutting out the voltage so I unhooked it but with no results. As far as the specs on the amp it is as follows 2x750@40hm stereo
2x1000@2ohm stereo
1x1500@1ohm stereo
1x2000@.5ohm stereo
1x3200@1ohm bridged

Mansfield, CT USA

Post Number: 3
I recently hit 145.8 dbs at competition, but on a good deep bass hit my voltage drops down to 11 volts and thats when it cuts out. more or less whenever it drops below 12 volts for more than a second. Any thoughts on how to supply more power?

Silver Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 196
Supply more power to the subs, or the electrical system? If you arent running an amp with a regulated power supply, getting one would make usre it put out the same wattage even at lower voltages than 12 etc.

Upgrading your alternator to battery, yes, is huge. All big 3 are VERY important. I'd run at least a new 4, if not a 0 awg on all the big 3.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1712
Yeah, if Titan upgrades his alt (which seems to be the problem) he'll definitely need to upgrade the big 3.

Mansfield, CT USA

Post Number: 4
alright but alternator I have will be okay? I had it custom made from the bottom up because he couldn't upgrade mine to enough power as he wanted to get out of it. Alright I know I read the big 3 on this forum before its, alt to batt., batt. to ground, and battery to amplifier correct?

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1719
Yeah, I didn't realize the 154 was already replaced.

The big three is engine to chassis ground, alternator to battery positive line, and battery negative post to chassis ground.

Mansfield, CT USA

Post Number: 5
enigne to chassis ground makes a difference what is the theory behind that? Ya 154 is the upgraded one, can I get better than that for my car and if so where can it be done?

Mansfield, CT USA

Post Number: 6
I changed the big 3 to all 4 guage wire, and my observations are, its cuts out only when I am listening to a cd, it will never cut out when the radio is on. COuld this be a problem with the head unit?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us