2 12's best kinda box to have? Sealed or not?

Question
Unregistered guest
i got a box with 4 4inch vents but that at the back where the subs are. And its behind a glass does it make a difference?

Username: Ridz420

Post Number: 2
Sounds like a ported bandpass? If thats what it is then it's one of the best boxes you will have for two 12"... otherwise I'd go with a Super Box, but that's just me.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10173
if this is a sealed chamber firing into a ported chamber, and it was a prefab box, it's bandpass, 4th order.
one of the worst enclosures actually.
they're loud, but don't play deep, are very peaky, and tend to be tuned far too high, around 65Hz.
You'd be a lot better off with two good subs in a vented enclosure. Far less coloration and better range. When properly tuned, the ported box will hit harder at deeper ranges as well.

Questions
Unregistered guest
Well its sealed where the subs faces are. Only open from the back vented for the coils and wires.

Silver Member
Username: James_g

TN

Post Number: 191
"Super Box"

What is that?

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10207
no idea. probably some term he heard for a folded horn or snail shell enclosure I'd guess.

Questions, I think you have a 4th order bandpass box from the descriptions. That's a very common box to use for getting low cost entry level subs to sound very loud, but this type of box isn't the best thing for sound quality.. it's only real advantage is being "loud" for rap and hiphop.. music that tends to center most of it's bass notes around the range of 40-60Hz.

Questions
Unregistered guest
Thats what its for Rap and hiphop lol

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10275
well, if all you're after is cheap and loud, without regard to accuracy or the ability to play deep bass, that's an ideal setup then. you're probably fine leaving it alone.
one bright side of a 4th order box is that it masks distortion, so it hides some of the shortcomings of entry level speakers. :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us