Help on everything would be a good start.

Username: Oldskool

Sumner, Washington USA

Post Number: 2
Ok, so here's the deal. Quite a few years ago, I bought an Orion HCCA 250 Digital Reference amp from a good friend that didn't need it anymore. Could have got it for free but I suck at pool and that was the wager, I win I get the amp, I lose and I pay for it. Well I lost (the game that is), everything I read about these amps are that they are damn good.
Problem is, I suck at anything electrical, BIG TIME. Anyway, I have a burning desire to get this amp in my Honda Civic just so I can hear for myself how awesome it is. I have a subbox that I bought back in '96, that will hold 2 12" subs. The ones that are in it now are not worth my time, no way they could handle the power of this amp.
I have no intention of going to any competitions with my setup. I just want something that hits pretty hard, but that won't jumble my insides. I'm on a budget right now cause of work, but that will change soon.
What subs will be able to handle this amp at about 1 ohm? Any thoughts about wether I should integrate a capacitor? Do I really need one? Any information you all can give about my choices would be greatly appreciated. As well as pointing out things that I have overlooked, as I'm sure there is a ton!
Also if you have any input on technical briefs or possibly how I can get my hands on a owners manual for that amp that would be great!

Thanks all

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10147
do you know what generation of amp it is?
G3, G4, etc?
or do you have a picture of it, and does it have a DIN connector on the side?
some of the 250HCCAs are half ohm stable, and some are 1 ohm stable in stereo.. need to see which you have
then I can suggest subs.

I have a 250HCCA manual in PDF format I can email you.
as for caps..
http://www.wickedcases.com/caraudio/capacitors.html

Sumner, Washington USA

Post Number: 3
I believe it is a 2nd gen. Orion 250HCCA stable down to .5 ohm stereo. Took a pic of the top as well as the side. Hope that helps. With regard to the .pdf manual, I was able to download a single page with some information on it, think you might have sent me the link for that a while ago. I was thinking that there was a manual like I have seen for other amps from orion, many pages with detailed information. I could swear that I have seen them on ebay before, but I could be wrong.

Anyways, on to the pics. Sorry it took so long to get them posted...Upload
Upload

Sumner, Washington USA

Post Number: 4
I have a 300CRX crossover as well, but I don't know what I would use it for.Upload

Silver Member
Username: James_g

TN

Post Number: 196
Well, it looks like it has the DIN connectors.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10215
that's a G3 amp.. good amplifier.. it probably is half ohm stable.
They didn't start printing that made in the USA emblem on the end plate till third gen. same with the "digital reference" logo under the rating on top.. prior to third gen, only the SX amps were digital reference.

that red 300CRX is nice.. the 300CRX is fairly rare.. a red one is almost unheard of.
the problem with that XO is that it splits high/midrange/lows.. so unless you want an active crossover system with 3 amplifiers (subs, mids, tweets) it isn't much use to you except as a sub XO. Even at that you'd need all Orion amps with DIN connectors to use it properly due to the DIN level outputs and phantom power supply.

as for a sub, I'd look at a single sub like one RE sub.. SE or SX line.. probably SE for your wants and needs.. good SQ sub..
get it with the standard dual 2 ohm coils.. that'll give you 1 ohm, which is what you want for that amp when its bridged for a single sub.
that'd be a killer setup and you can tell people "look, its only 100 watts!" hehe
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us