Negative Battery Post causing sparks.

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2067
I have a total of 150A between my 2 amps. I just checked my fuse holder under the hood and its a 250ANL fuse installed. Is this right? I only have 2 amps and a 1 farad cap with 1/0 gauge wiring installed along with the Eclipse Deck.

I also noticed that the battery negative wire was causing sparks when i took it out and put it back in with the engine off. Why is it doing that ?

I mean the system is playing fine now but when i took of the negative battery terminal and then put it back in it sparked up when it touched and then it was ok with the car off. Could it be because i have a Cap ?

I do have a viper 5000 car alarm also but that has its own battery under the steering wheel and all.

Silver Member
Username: Infinity_addict

Santa Rosa, California USA

Post Number: 133
does it make big sparks or does it just make a crackling noise?

did it do this before you installed the cap?

i'd assume that it IS just extra discharge from the cap. the reason it still sparks even though the car is off is because batteries are always active (otherwise your dome light wouldn't go on when you opened your doors).

that extra batt for yer alarm in the backup battery incase your main line is cut.

Silver Member
Username: Infinity_addict

Santa Rosa, California USA

Post Number: 134
does it make big sparks or does it just make a crackling noise?

did it do this before you installed the cap?

i'd assume that it IS just extra discharge from the cap. the reason it still sparks even though the car is off is because batteries are always active (otherwise your dome light wouldn't go on when you opened your doors).

that extra batt for yer alarm is the backup battery incase your main line is cut. those thieves are tricky devils.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9600
it'll spark a little when erconnected due to the car's computer, hood light, etc drawing current.
259A ANL is there for 1/0AWG to protect the wire, not the amplifiers. they should be fused themselves or at the d-block with smaller fuses per amplifier

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2071
OK thanks, everything works fine and all but the when i reconnected the negative terminal it sparked/crackled for a second and then was fine.

By the way / after i reconnected the negative terminal to the negative battery post and tightened it i turned on my system and i had much better bass response and it hits hard and the way it should and i notice a huge differance in output and now im officially getting minor dimming when the bass hits and before i wasnt. I think the negative terminal was way to loose to get a solid ground.

What do you think glass.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9611
happens a lot.
one reason I tap the terminals on with a mallet or a dead-blow hammer to be sure they're on tight.
they can look tight and barely complete a connection many times.
battery terminals can be a pain. especially if they corrode. a little coca-cola cleans that off though

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2073
Yeah, im so happy with the sound now. Its like DAY and NIGHT differance. Thanks for the tip. I will make sure i change my battery terminals this weekend to new ones. That should help out also.

Anonymous

normally the negative terminal will spark when you connect the cable if something is drawing current... In some cases it could mean a short but normally you can expect some minor sparking because of the many things that draw a dedicated current from the battery. (computers, clocks, etc)

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2132
Yeah the negative battery terminal and grounds are probably one of the most important things in a install. If learned this the hardway in a few installs.

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3720
"a little coca-cola cleans that off though "

Which is why I don't drink pop. I've seen people clean jewlery in Mountain Dew, and we're supposed to drink that crap?

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 4339
Exactly. M Dew will clean your crappy cuts clean. I think that's why all the gey guys drink them.. ha ha. Just kidding.

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10472
better not eat any fruit either then.. after all, that has just as high of an acid content as most pop does.

Silver Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 177
LoL... A little off topic, but I still laugh everytime I hear someone using the word "pop" in that context.. I grew up in Ohio, and most people in the midwest call it pop... Moved out west and got some strange looks...everyone here calls it soda...almost no one calls it pop, heh heh.

Seth
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us