Current Handling for Power Wires

Bronze Member
Username: James_g

TN

Post Number: 89
How much current can the various sizes of power wires handle? I checked a fuse site that GlassWolf provided a link to in another thread. It recommended max fuse size for power wires:

4 GA - 125 amps
2 GA - 200 amps
1/0 GA - 250 amps

Does this accurately reflect the amount of max current these wires can carry?

Gold Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1497
I'd say that was more reflective of the "continuous" current those wires can carry w/o overheating. Since music is dynamic you could probably get away with slightly smaller wire for safety purposes than is indicated by those figures.

However, bigger is always better, especially when it comes to voltage drop from your alternator to your amps which is a whole other ball of wax.

The amount of power produced by amps with unregulated power supplies is dependent on supply voltage. In addition amps with regulated power supplies will draw more current at lesser supply voltages. So if you're using a dinky power wire with unregulated equipment you will sacrifice power and with regulated amps the same will increase current demands on your alternator as well.

My advice? GO BIG.

1/0 wire from knukonceptz

http://www.knukonceptz.com/productMaster.cfm?Category=Power%20Wire

runs about the same as what you would pay for 4 gauge Monster Cable or Streetwires from your local audio shop. Plus you'll be set future amp upgrades with the 1/0.

-Fishy

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9527
the current capacity of wire depends on the gauge, and the length of the wire.
here's a page with a chart showing the peak current capacities of various wires, up to 2AWG.. but remember as the length of the wire increases, it's capacity to carry DC currend decreases.
http://www.the12volt.com/info/recwirsz.asp
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us