Compressed 0/1 awg power wire question.

Bronze Member
Username: Bananakrill

Benicia, California

Post Number: 86
My plan is to use regular 0 gauge wire from my battery through the firewall of my truck. Then, once inside, switch to compressed 0 gauge so it will fit better under the carpet or wherever I have to put it. Also, I want to drill a round hole and have a round bushing for the regular 0 gauge and not have to mess around with fitting the abnormally shaped compressed 0 gauge through anything. I want to connect the two pieces of wire with a distribution block or something else. My question is... and it's a good one... are there any disadvantages or precautions or worries to cutting the power wire in half and reconnecting it with the distribution block or other means? I mean, you do that when you add the fuse near the battery. I don't see anything wrong but my buddy said he wouldn't do it. It just got me second guessing the system. I really appreciate any input. Here are pictures of the regular 0 awg wire, the compressed wire, and compressed wire compared to 4 awg below that:
Upload

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9011
no real problem.. I'd use a coupler to connect the wires myself.. then tape it well to prevent it from shorting if it gets tugged on or comes loose.

Bronze Member

Benicia, California

Post Number: 87
Thanks for the quick reply Glass. I think a coupler is the way to go. Cheap and easy. Like my ex-girlfriend.

Gold Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1480
If you're gonna use KK's standard "1/0" grommet you'll need a 1" bit. They can be hard to find and rather expensive. I used a $50 step bit. I think I'd just use the flat stuff throughout. Drill a couple holes side by side with a more practical bit, file out an oval hole, then silcone the heck out of it.

Couplers scare me.

-Fishy

BTW, kk's 1/0 grommet is pretty big. You'd probably have no problem fitting the flat stuff through it.

Bronze Member

Benicia, California

Post Number: 89
Yeah, maybe I should use the kompression throughout. I don't know. I'm going to have to drill no matter what and that scares me. Couplers just make me nervous. I don't know what I'll do yet. I guess I'll wait until the stuff gets here, look at everything, have an anxiety attack, and then decide. Thanks for the advice and info Fishy.

Oh, hey, are you saying the grommet is too big for the regular (round) 0 awg wire? Would I have to silicone it anyway?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us