Orion and Us amps

Username: Lil_jon

Post Number: 1
Hey Ecoustics.com
Im from Sound Illusions
Avalanch Land hehe If you ever heard of that subwoofer
I am currently looking for to purchase a set.
Im sorta on a budget but Quality does need to be 1st.
I hear The Orion Amps are good so I checked out the
2500D 03 model,and us amps Im trying to get 2000watts can some body give me a hand here on finding a good amp?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8327
both are good amps. the USAmps product is the better of the two for overall quality, but you're going to pay considerably more to get it.

Post Number: 2
Hey How are you GW
You think If I got

2 ORION HCCA 250 G4 amps I would Get 2thousand watts?
I thought about
4 Orion HCCA 225 G4 Amps

but I am only going to run 2 subs would It be possible to hook 4 amps to 2 subs if I got 4ohm subs.
I would be getting 2ohm subs if I get 2 HCCA 250 G4 amps

do you think this could work or am I about to start a nice little fire. I see This amp gets hot

Post Number: 3
I forget to add I have a 94 Cadillac Eldorado
dunno the voltage But have a 140 amp alt stock

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3625
If you still can get 250G4 amps, then to for it. It is a great amp. They do run hot, but it can easily be fixed with cpu fans.
Stick with 2 250G4 instead of 4 225G4.
The G4s used at 2ohms, doesn't get that hot. It gets hot at 1ohm loads.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8337
honestly, the HCCA amps only put out a lot of power at minimum load which is 1 of one-half ohm.
To get that you'd need to put one bridged amp on each coil of a multi-coil, 1 or 2 ohm per coil sub. The HCCA amps are class AB so they draw a ton of current and make a lot of heat.
You'd be a lot more efficient using a big class D amp for your subs.

The HCCAs were popular because at the time, they were cheater amps for the power class ratings of IASCA, having an amp rated at 25 watts x 2 that put out 400 watts, but back then 400 watts was a LOT of power, and there were no class D amplifiers that put out 1000+ watts for $200.
The HCCAs were amps of a different era.. not as useful now as they once were due to the limited power they provide compared to modern amps, and the amount of current and low loads they need to function well.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3631
GlassWolf your Orion SX amps aren't that efficient either. Why don't you sell them to me and get class D? :-)

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8343
because class AB amplifiers are cleaner, and mine produce over 1300 watts @ 4 ohms bridged.. something the 250HCCA can't do :-)
horses for courses.

I'm a purist though, and I have the electrical system to back those amps up.

Post Number: 4
Well I have no subs yet I am starting a set
I am looking for alot of bass
what amp would give me this?
I thought those orions would still be somthing special today but what amp should i get?
ImA Lil Jon fan so I love very Low Notes.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3635
If you have HO alternator, then 250G4 can still deliver. I personally have 250G4s and 275G4s as well as PPI art series.
I've driven 250G4s to over 600w rms @ 2ohms. It got hot, but not like burning hot. More of hot sand during summer kind.
The bass was very chrisp and deep.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8361
the 250hcca is 50x2 @ 4 ohms
that's 400 watts @ 2 ohms bridged or
anyway, the amp you need will depend more on the subs you choose. don't put the cart before the horse
200 watts x 2 @ 1 ohm stereo

anyway, the amp you need depends on your subs. choose your subs first. don't put the cart before the horse.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3641
Is there an echo in here? :-)
250G4 is 800w rms @ 1ohms bridged.
250G4 is great for components too. 275G4 is great for subs.

Post Number: 5
well could you help me Glass Wolf or Isaac?
What I have heard so far were the Pioneer Premiere
They have Good Bass It was pushed by a Kenwood amp.
The Premiere Blew on A song called Throw It Up by LIL JON the Low Aggressive Bass Started Kicking IN constantly, every time it drop there was distortion as if the sub could not handle the Deep Bass and it Blew a small Hole in it. It had decent sq and was loud.

I have heard the Sony Explodes they were ok when my buddy rides pass that has them all i can here in the house is noisy rumbles, his tweeters hurt my ears too when I'm in the front seat,I dought I will ever shop at car toyz

My best friend went to Audio EXPRESS and payd a Large sum of $1135 for Rockford Power t2 and $1410 for a amp this was the best of the 3 I have heard this year (reason why I look for cart before the horse Monster subs Meant EXPENSIVE AMP)

The Sq was good, The Low Bass had my heart skipping a beat I liked this sub and it didn't blow dunno if metal cone protect , when my friend rides pass playing lil scrappy head bussas I can hear the lower piano notes(the piano keys to the far left lol)the same is easy to hear on throw it up, but I know there is better when I'm In the house. I cant hear to much but bass dropping and my house rattling,maybe this is lack of sq?
(I love Hearing the Loud subs roll pass)
Is there a sub that will deliver both with out sacrificing ? and those Rockford setup is out the window as it has the bass i like but lacks loud loud sq
so if you Glass Wolf or Issac can point to the sub I want LOUD Good Clear SQ
With Low Note Booming ABility it would be helpful
hope you can make out what i want threw all the stupid stuff I said Im not electronicly inclined so I dont know the words to use

Silver Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 413
Lol! That's fine. I understood it all, yet it took a while to soak it up. I'm not sure what the bests subs are, but I know to what you want to do, it'll cost some $$$. Glasswolf and Isaac should know...

Post Number: 7
I need some help picking a woofer please help

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8382
depending on your budget, some good affordable subs are the alpine type R, kicker compVR, and if you order on-line, Elevation Audio. Any of these offer 12" and 15" subs that'll do all ya need, and they all need about 350-500 watts per sub to really do their best.

make sure you get the right amps or sub coil configurations to match everything up so you get the power you want to the subs you choose

Post Number: 9
how would 2 12 XXX do me in a ported for low end and sq glass wolf???

or should I just get 2 avalanch:-)

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8393
they'do great.. I just didn't know if you wanted to spend $450+ for each sub, then need 1200 watts or so for each one, and an alternator and electrical system that can juice those amps properly.
that gets expensive.

Silver Member

Post Number: 431
Yes... Very expensive, and quickly too...

Here they're a couple of people with decent systems, one kid that's close has my old Diamond Audio 12" TDX's, and they don't upgrade anything. They run power wire back to the amps (which are different amps) and hook caps up to them. And even after I tell them they need to upgrade everything, they wonder why they go through alternators like crazy, and their headlights fade...

Post Number: 10
Jake Hill
do you want to sell your Eclipse da DA7232 amp

Glass wolf
well i was looking for 2000watts The biggest alt that will go on my car 275 amps you think that will hold it down?
I dont mind paying 4somthing if the speaker is great just not w7,t2 type prices.

for what I want glass wolf, wich sub would do better for what I want? XXX or avalanche
both 12s looking for great low end and good sq

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
o to add glass wolf the MAX I willing to give up is 2ooowatts due to cant get 300 amps

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8402
you use one amp per sub. that's easier than getting one amp big enough for a pair of XXX subs.
although the Orion 2500D could feed two 12" XXX subs by itself.. at 1 ohm. just get the XXX subs in dual 4 ohm coil models.

the XXX 12 is about $369 plus $25 for the custom coil setup, plus shipping for a 60lb speaker in a wood crate.

I use two RE XXX 12s myself, each one has an Orion 2250SX bridged to power it, so about 2600 watts for the pair combined. They are outstanding subs, when fed properly.

Silver Member

Post Number: 434
Glass, always wondered, how do those RE XXX's compare to Eclipse?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Im guessing you dont have the eclipse amp do you
Glass wolf I think Im gonna go ahead and get the JL that sub has

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
hey glass wolf you think 2 of these will work good with taht subwoofer?

http://www.eclipse-web.com/amp/da7122.html

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
http://www.reaudio.com/html/

/\ so I ask for the 4ohm coil and it only costs$25
wouldnt the lower impedence make the amp push out less, like 750-800 watts?

im gonna get 2 of the eclipse amps if you think they will work just fine, are they top of the line? and do you reccomend it for this application?

Silver Member

Post Number: 436
LiL Jon: I'm trying to decide if it's for sale online. It is locally, but I don't want to be screwed over...

Silver Member

Post Number: 439
LiL Jon: and why not one of the DA7232.

http://www.eclipse-web.com/amp/da7232.html

And how much $$$ do u have?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
well in a previous post I Saw you had that DA7232
and wanted more so I wanted to buy yours
I have about 500$$ that sounds fair?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
Im talking to a guy right now that sold his 7232 for 300 bucks I missed it by 2weeks :*(

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
what volt are these amps tested at? your not the 1st that is looking for more jake

Silver Member

Post Number: 441
I bought it for $850.00. Don't know how far I'd go. My friend will give me $700.00 for it. It's hardly been used at all. And I'm not sure about the voltage. Call Eclipse and ask. I'm sure they'll know...

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8404
the XXX comes as a dual coil sub. normally 2 ohm coils.
you want the optional dual 4 ohm coils for two subs.
wire coils in parallel for a pair of 2 ohm subs
then wire subs in parallel for a 1 ohm final load on teh mono 2500D amplifier.
that'll be full power to the subs. 2500 watts between them.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
so I need a mono amp Glass wolf is what your saying and you think I should go with the OrionD amp ?
my Eyes were on that orion 2500D,
Jake hills eclipse Da7232 or
2 Da 7212
mayb 2 jls, mayb if i could get them cheap
you pick for me glass
I may lean twards the orion because it almost puts out the power the subs need
but all i can fit is a 275 amp alt rember?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
this is a review of a lanzar amp from a member of the board i come from who i seen as a respectable member

Reviewed by: stangme01
Year: 2004
Model: HTG2600D
Price Paid: $200 at QualityCarAudio.com
Summary:
I have to say i was quite shocked after i hooked this amp up. Recently i've been using amps considered much higher quality like my Orion 1200D, Viper 1200D, Memphis 1500D, and US Amps 1000X and this amp is either as powerful or more powerful than all of those amps. I was just looking for a budget system for my work car since my weekend car is loaded with high end equipment. Well 1 of these hooked up to an Ascendant Audio Avalanche 15" is EXTREMELY powerful. I hooked up my Orion 2500D to see what the difference was and for music i have to say the Orion really wasn't much more powerful even though its rated at 2500wrms and is MUCH bigger in size amp. I thought lanzar went down the tubes but they certainly didn't. So i ended up switching my weekend car over to all Lanzar Optidrive amps and I couldn't be happier. Considering before i had all PPI art series amps in there, and before that all Zapco Studio thats saying alot. Not only that but the Lanzars seem ALOT more powerful on my front stage. My opti2000D amp is kicking my Orion 2500D's butt all over the place.

tell me this guys an idiot

Silver Member

Post Number: 455
That almost makes me want to go buy one... Maybe I will? But I'm VERY doubtful.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
that guy says alot of questionable stuff on the avalanche board on dont think he know what he saying i beleave he heard all the things he say he heard but come on man lanzar better then orion and ppi arts?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
come on glass bear with me
will the 2 ohm 2 channel da 7232 work with the subs I want?
1.Orion 2500D
2.Da7232 Eclipse
3.2 Da7212 Eclipse
4.2 jls, mayb if i could get them cheap

that order sound about right?
I need an answer because the Da7212 auction ends tomar i think

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8426
Lanzar Heritage Model #HTG2600D - 2000 Watt Digital Mono Block Subwoofer Amplifier
* 1x800W RMS at 4 OHMS

the Orion 2500D puts out 2500 watts at 1 ohm, and I only see 1.33 ohm ratings for the Lanzar, meaning not 1 ohm stable so I'm guessing that this guy above compared both amps at 2 ohms. that'd mean about 1000 watts RMS from the lanzar, and about 1700 watts at 2 ohms.
twice the power is +3dB which means you'd gain a noticeable volume but not close to twice as much.

anyway I told ya what I'd do. I'm getting kinda tired of repeating teh same thing.
let me know what ya end up doing. good luck

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
Thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 463
Maybe I'll order one of thos Lanzar's, just to see what's up.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3654
LiL Jon, an amp may sound loud but it doesn't mean much in SQ. I hope your friend really knows what he's talking about. Comparing Lanzar amps with PPI/Orion??
I have a Jensen amp that's very loud but it produces bad SQ.
As for your amp, I'd go with Orion from your list.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
just needed some confidence in the amp
hes not my friend just a guy i see on the board and it seems like he has knowledge but Lanzar?the guy at the flea market has that beside his power acoustic and pyramid

I just want my sq but still get that loud and deep notes playing, I wasnt into spending alot of money on this but if its gonna give me what i want you no

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3689
well I am currently running a orion 250G4 to a avalanche 15 at 800 watts at 1ohm and it is fantastic:-) I was thinking about making a change and running the orion 2250sx at 4ohms to my sub and the HCCA 250g4 to my a/d/s components the 250g4 is a very acoustic amp and has exceptional detail. :-) I am just not a big fan of running amps at extremly low impedence's to get the most power out of them because you sacrafise SQ when driving a amp lower because the lower the impedence drive is the higher the THD, wien running subs on a good amp this really isnt an issue but it does overdrive the amp and with this amp I want to keep it for a long long time.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3669
Hey I put in my summer amp (275G4, class D in winter) last weekend. I may need a more powerful sub now. My current sub is getting overworked.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us