Not enuf Hard THUMP

Anonymous

One kicker kx400.1 (450rms x 1 @ 2 ohm) driving 2 x 05cvr12 (dual 2 ohm). Is this an ok setup? The seller says it's ok but now i think my bass is not hitting HARD enough. Feels like my bass is producing low notes and not much of the THUMP. I've set the gain to half, freq. to 150hz and bass boost to half as well.

How does an under powered subs sound like?

If you think that's the problem would upgrading to the Alpine MRD 1005 (1000rms x 1 @ 2 ohm) solve my problem?

Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Dominirica012

Charlotte, North Carolina US

Post Number: 344
you are definitly underpowering the subs and that might be the reason that its not as loud as you want it to be...upgrading to that alpine amp will definatly increase your "THUMP"...also idk if im the only one that thinks this but turn your frequency all the way down...150hz thats like midbass range and sh!t

Anonymous

u mean all the way down to 50hz on the Amp? It sounded sloppy when i did that b4. The CVR's are in a sealed enclosure (1.2cubic feet each) it should ve a tight bass but all i got was heaps of low bass but not enough Thump or Ommpphh!

Hopefully it's not my HU's XO freq.

Have u actually heard underpowered subs b4? Does it sound like what i'm having now?
Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Dominirica012

Charlotte, North Carolina US

Post Number: 345
yea ive underpowered subs alot of times...try turning your bass boost up and play a song with crazy bass like "late night tippin" or "knocking heads off" if it doesnt hit then idk whats wrong

Anonymous

ok. i'll do just that. Have my fren to download those songs for me and i'll do some tests.
Dam & i've just bought this amp 2 weeks ago and now i ve to contemplate on getting a higher powered one.

But why is it churning up low bass notes but not the Thumps that's what bugs me.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3566
Is the gain/level set properly on your amp? Does your lights dim with bass?
For subs, the frequency should around 80Hz - 100Hz. Anything higher will give you mid bass.
450w is not much when it comes to bass. 800w-1000w is probably what you're looking for in power.
Alpine amps are overrated so don't waste your money. Try Zapco/Orion/JL or JBL/MTX for low budget.
If you have trunk space, then go ported for more thumping bass.

Silver Member
Username: Jb502

Omaha, NE

Post Number: 126
i have the alpine mrd-m1005, powering some type r's, and it works great, they are not overated, infact they are underated, my 1000 watt amp, actually put out 1070 watts!

Anonymous

gain is just under half way and nope the headlights didn't dim with the bass hitting.

As i've set the freq. on the amp to 150hz it's not even giving me the mid bass thump so how would setting it to 80hz-100hz give me that Thump bass i was looking for? Heaps of low bass notes tho in the car. hehe

which model MTX? Thought that JBL was sh!d, no?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3569
JBL has a model that's over 1000w. I can't remember the exact model, I think it was 1200.1. MTX has few models to try. Go to their website. It'll list them by power and class type.
Just curious, what is your HU? Do you know the preout RCA voltage?

Anonymous

Alpine cda9833. 4v preout
Should i play with the Preset EQ or just leave it on Flat?

Anonymous

yo Juston, given a choice again would you still stick with your Alpine MRD M1005 or go for others?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3571
Play with your EQ on Alpine HU.

Anonymous

have u had this unit b4? How would u set the EQ? it's dam confusing. Glass told me to set the XO freq. even that i'm having grey hairs. hehe

Anonymous

oh...btw must not forget to thank all who contributed to this thread today. :-) many thanks

Silver Member
Username: Jb502

Omaha, NE

Post Number: 130
yes, i haven't used another recently so i have nothing to compare it to. But i have my system loud all the time for long periods of time, and it has never shut off or had any type of error. Plus if you have a capable alpine head unit, you can control the amp from that. And you can see the amp temps, and voltage on the head unit. It also tells you when the fan kicks on. By the way, i have never been able to even make the fan turn on, so it isn't even close to shutting off due to an overheating issue. I have had amps in the past that would shut off all the time due to overheating. Not this on though.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us