Amp overheating

Bronze Member
Username: Supraspyder420

Sammamish, Wa U.S.

Post Number: 15
I have a soundstream VGA600.2 and have it installed in the back tool box of my durango. after running it or having my car turned on for about 15 minutes, its starts to get very hot. I have only had it in a few days because i keep disconnecting it and taking it out because it gets so hot. SO does anyone know if Soundstream Van Gogh series amps get hot easily or is it because it is in a sealed tool box in the rear of my car?

-is there anyway to wire little fans to/around my amp yo move air to it? because i want to keep it in the same spot.

Bronze Member

Sammamish, Wa U.S.

Post Number: 17
whoops. didnt mean to poast twice. I thought my computer froze!

Bronze Member
Username: Livinloud7

Post Number: 30
Im not too sure about the SoundStream brand's quality there, but have you done anything to the gains of the amp, / what are you powering it too ? You can put and mount small fans if ud like, hopefully u will get another answer here though..

Bronze Member

Sammamish, Wa U.S.

Post Number: 18
the gain and boost are set to medium. anyone know where i can get amp fans or something of the sort?

Bronze Member
Username: Winn

Santa Ana, California US

Post Number: 69
Jace, I think there is problem... only 15 minutes to get the amp really hot.... that's not normal..

What Speaker you drive for this amp ??

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3135
What impedence are you driving, and is your amp stable at that it. Is your ground wire short. Did you set the gains properly, or did you just put them in the middle.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8089
it's a class AB amp so its going to get hot.. they put out a lot of heat.. about 50% of the power a class AB amp produces is lost to heat in fact.
on top of that, you have it in a box with zero airflow, which is very bad as well.
keep the box open, or cut it up to add fans that push and pull air through the box.. otherwise your amp is going to get hotter, which will increase disrottion and can eventually cause damage as well.

Silver Member
Username: Iamduff_87

Michigan America!

Post Number: 341
im also having problems overheating. The amp is an AB amp. MTX 342 to be exact. It is bridged running a 4 ohm Cerwin Vega V-Max. After 15 mins of decent volume the amp gets extremely hot. It is sitting flat in my trunk. MTX suggested a better ground which I am about to try but I wondered if I should just get a class D amp and sell this one.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us