How do i tell if it is my amp clipping or my subs distorting

Bronze Member
Username: Jb502

Omaha, NE

Post Number: 23
I dont' think it is my subs cuz they can handle way more then my 600 what alpine mrd-m605 puts out. Subs are two 12 inch alpine type r's. The new ones. when i turn it up, i hear a noise coming from my subs, but they aren't really moving much. I think my amp is clipping, how can I be sure?

Bronze Member
Username: Msx

Post Number: 16
Is your amp earthed properly?

Bronze Member

Omaha, NE

Post Number: 26
yes it is, why

alpineisthestuff
Unregistered guest
the alpine type-R's are dual 4ohm subs, now basically, when you wire two of them together, you will get an 8ohm load, or a 1 ohm load. that amp isnt stable at 1 ohm, you could be damaging the subs depending how you have it wired.

Bronze Member

Omaha, NE

Post Number: 27
mine are dual 2 ohm
swr-1222d model number

Silver Member
Username: Thrushdtd

New York

Post Number: 170
its clipping just turn down the volume until you get a bigger amp

Bronze Member

Omaha, NE

Post Number: 28
I got the mrd-m1005 last night, haven't hooked it up yet though.

Silver Member

New York

Post Number: 172
why would you get alpine again? should have got something better

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3480
How much did you pay for M1005?
If your subs are 2ohms DVC, then in parallel wiring, they will give you 2ohm load.
If your amp can handle 2ohms then you're fine.

Bronze Member

Omaha, NE

Post Number: 29
The amp will handle a two ohm load, that is what i had them wired at on the 605.
Thrush, I like alpine the 605 just didn't have enough power in my opinion, i think i was pushing it to its max, and it was clipping, that was the point of this thread, to see if there is a way i can tell if the amp was clipping. I like alpine, just wanted more power, I have an alpine cda 9855 which controls the functions of my amp from the head units, plus tells me the temperature of the amp and voltage going to it, which is usally right at 14.0, somethimes drops to about 13.7, have seen it hit 13.2 though. I will let you know if the upgrade in power stopped the distortion. If it does than i can only assume that my amp was clipping before becuase i was pushing it to its max. Which i hope is the case.

Bronze Member

Omaha, NE

Post Number: 30
oh by the way isaac, the 1005 was 549.00. I paid 379 for the 605. I just exchanged and had to pay the difference.

Silver Member

New York

Post Number: 181
wow you got raped. for that price you could almost get a jl 1000/1 on ebay.

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2981
Alpines are a little overpriced for the quality. I agree that JL is also overpriced, but they have exceptional quality, so you get what you pay for. Alpine's just too expensive for what you actually get.

About the clipping. Are you sure you have the subs wired to a 2 ohm load? You may have them wired to 8 ohms, and aren't getting very much power to your subs. When an amp clips, it tries to produce more power than it can, so it has to alter the audio signal in order to squeeze out more energy. The effect is a square wave, which causes horrible distortion. When an amp is just barely cliping, you may not be able to hear the distortion. When you progress into heavier, more sever clipping you should be able to hear the distortion.

From what you said, it doesn't sound like your amp is clipping. I think you have things wired wrong.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us