Need help

totallyLost
Unregistered guest
for a while i had my type R running off my alpine MRD-M605 amp, and it was hitting really hard..then all of a sudden the voltage on the amp dropped down to 12.1 volts, from 14.7, my sub started bottoming out on low end bass notes, and was not loud at all. and im stumped. i dont know what could have caused this. is it time for a new alternator? a HO one? because my headlights did dim a little bit, but nothing bad. and now i have no clue what to do.

i miss my bass.
any help would be appreciated

Bronze Member
Username: Big_oso

Post Number: 52
i would definately have your charging system check i.e. your alternator and if its crapping out you should buy a new one you dont necissarily need a HO one cuz your not runnin that much power but it wouldnt hurt to upgrade a lil bit

Silver Member
Username: Scubasteve

Annapolis, MD

Post Number: 122
was the car on during all this? Assuming it is, a readout of 12.1V from an alternator is a very bad sign. replace that S.O.B. "bottoming out" doesn't make any sense for what you're talking about, but anyway, you have a severe low voltage problem...

totallyLost
Unregistered guest
the readout came directly from the amp. and yes, the car was on during all of this. so you think the best bet would be to get a new alternator?

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3472
Measure the voltage with the car running, and then off. If you get 12.5v reading constantly, then your alternator is shot. Do not run any electrical devices in the car till you get the car looked at.
If your alternator is dead, then your battery will be supplying all the power. It will die very shortly. So don't start the car unless you're going to see a car shop.
If not, you will have to replace both.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3473
You might want to consider getting HO alternator. A regular one will cost around $100. HO starts from $130. Not that far off.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us