6 Channel HU? Is there such a beast?

Silver Member
Username: Tdbdrummer

Post Number: 467
Ok, my aunt's '92 Mustang has the 6 speaker option, where exactly would I get an HU with 6 channels? Her current stock one runs them all, but how?

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3256
TB, just cause a stock car says 6 speaker system, doesn't mean the HU has 6 channels. All it means, it has 2 front, 2 tweeters, 2 rears for a total of 6. That is how most car manufacturers describe 6 speaker setup. Some offer slightly different configuration, but they're still 4 channel HU.
If it's not, they will clearly state it (surround sound setup).

Silver Member

Post Number: 468
Well, the fronts on the dash are 3.5", the front doors are 5.25" and the backs are 5x7's, so how do you explain that?

C.Jackson
Unregistered guest
There very well may be 6 speakers, but that doesn't mean that the HU has 6 channels. Hence my jag has 6 speakers, bu

C.Jackson
Unregistered guest
To finish my post...

There very well may be 6 speakers, but that doesn't mean that the HU has 6 channels. Hence my Jag has 6 speakers, but the headunit has 4 channels.

Silver Member

Post Number: 472
How do you wire the speaker to the HU then?

Silver Member
Username: Geekbike

Post Number: 138
2 speakers could be run off one channel.

Trunkpounder
Unregistered guest
OK, maybe this will help. My system has 3-way 6x9's in the rear, 2-way 5" rds in the front, and 2 subs in the trunk. Literally, this is a 12 speaker system!! Obviously there aren't 12 channels, but the way this is done is one signal is passed through a crossover that splits up the signal bassed on a certain frequency range. These multiple signals are directed to the appropriate speakers that can handle those frequencies. Capice?

Silver Member

Post Number: 485
That does help, but the 6 speaker set up in my aunt's mustang doesn't have a cross over.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3268
TB, 3.5" is a LOW wattage speakers. They probably used 2 8ohm pairs in parallel for 4ohm load for the front. I bet if you put your head close to the 3.5 and 5 1/4" speakers, they'd produce same sound/music.
You can practically treat them the same cause the 2 front channels are supplying all the power.

Silver Member

Post Number: 487
I see.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us