Isaac or Glasswolf ?

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Post Number: 1462
Hey Isaac or Glass could i use my batcap Model 800 with a Orion MBR 70 ????

It says that the Model 800 doesnt need a battery isolator but im just wondering if it whould help to use one. I remember isaac saying it whould be better to use this Orion MBR 70 with a battery like a optima yellowtop. Only thing is i already have a BatCap 800 ready to go.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3215
Hey MO, if you can get hold of MBR 70 do it. It is very hard to find, almost as hard as G4 amps.
Unlike most isolators, you don't have to cut into your electrical system. It is actually quite easy to install.
Batcap is like a capacitor with a little more juice. That's about it. With MBR and yellowtop battery, you have 2nd battery for more reserved power. With your engine off or at low idle, the amps will be sucking power from main and aux batteries. Batcap doesn't do much except kill your main battery when alternator's not supplying power.
It is a much safer setup.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1464
Awesome, ok so i get the Orion MBR 70 then get a Yellow Top. I have that CrossFire VR1000D amp to my Avalanche 15 and that PPI a300.2 for the componants. I have 1/0 gauge as my main lead. How do i wanna wire this?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3220
You can use the batcap on PPI amp, and MBR 70 with your crossfire.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1466
??? what about the yellow top? Does it make a differance or not since im using the MBR 70. sorry i just have never done this type of install

Gold Member

Post Number: 1470
I just got the Orion MBR70 off of ebay for $54.00

How does that sound isaac. Mint Condition and only used for 1 month. I will now use it with my batcap. Just wanna know exactly how to wire this the right way with my 2 amps.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1473
bump

Gold Member

Post Number: 3221
Whoa, you're lucky. I would've bought another one at that price.
I think I paid $85.
You use the pos cable from the battery into MBR, and then connect 2nd battery on the MBR's out port. Then from the battery to your amp.
Connect batcap on PPI's power connectors. That way it's not being wasted.

Username: Phil1066

Post Number: 1
I need HELP! After purchasing and installing a Motorola Hands Free Professional install kit in my 2004 Chevy Venture (with OEM 6 disc) I have but one wire left to connect - the one that controls the "mute" function. I was told "it's the orange wire"...and after pulling the radio, I find that there are 2 orange wires - one heavier gauge than the other.
Does anyone know which wire would be the correct one to tap into?
I'm thiiiiiissssss close to being done!
Thanks!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1480
Hey isaac, so the batcap to the ppi 300.2 and from the mbr to the CrossFire VR1000D ? Also what about my distribution block i got from knukonceptz. HOw does that go into play. Its the fused one i got that accetps 1/0 in and 2 4 gauge out.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3231
MO, you can still use the d block from the 2nd battery to the amp.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1481
Ok so i have my stock battery under the hood which i run my 1/0 main lead to the trunk which then leads to Distribution Block ?

I am not sure what is first and second and so forth. Sorry man just not good at installs.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3236
You use main wire, from stock battery to the trunk, into the MBR 70's IN port. Then use the OUT port on MBR to yellowtop (2nd) battery in the trunk. From there, attach another wire from the yellowtop battery to the d block. From d block to your amp or amps. Now your amp will draw power from yellowtop when engine is off, and get recharged from alternator when it's on. The MBR will also "pool" the power from both batteries when the engine is on, giving you more reserve power.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1484
OK that makes sense. In my case i will be using a Batcap model 800 in place of the yellowtop battery.

I also have a negative distribution block which accepts 2 1/0 gauge in and four 4 gauge out. How do i wanna run my grounds thruout the setup.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3238
MO, you WILL NEED yellowtop battery. Batcap is only useful for PPI amp.
Run the ground as before. Nothing changes except the pos wire. It now goes through the MBR70.
If you can't afford yellowtop, then get any 12v battery that does not release gases.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1490
Why whould the batcap only be useful for the PPI amp ?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1492
Isaac maybe you dont know to much about the BatCap 800.

Here is more info on it before you tell me what its only good for the ppi amp.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=18796%26item%3D5779491203 %26%26

Gold Member

Post Number: 3245
MO, I know batcap is part battery and capacitor. However, it may have high cranking amps, but it will not hold as much reserve as yellowtop battery. That is why I said it'll be good for smaller amp like PPI. For your other power hungry amp, it would be better to have 2nd battery and give it full power.
If you notice, batcap never lists the reserve power numbers, it's always quick/burst charge. That may be fine when the alternator's supplying the power, but when it stops, just where/what do you think will be supplying most if not all of the power? Your starter battery.
I would never treat batcap as a reg battery cause it just doesn't hold enough reserve power to be dependable.
With your crossfire amp, I bet it'll discharge the batcap in 5 mins at full power.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1496
Isaac, i dont listen to my music with the car off. I never ever do that. Only when im driving. I also am more interested in using 1 battery as opposed to 2 differant batteries/cap. What do you think i should do with my Batcap 800 and the Yellowtop if i get it. Should i just sell my Batcap and get the Yellowtop and run my amps like that or should i use my batcap also just like a cap?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3248
MO if money is not a problem I'd use both batcap and yellowtop battery. Use it as a "cap" on your crossfire amp. It'll be much better setup than just batcap alone. Now you will not only have the reserve power, but your starter battery is also protected.
Don't forget, when you're at a stop light, the engine rpm would be too low to charge your main battery so if you had the music on high, any power the alternator couldn't supply would've been coming from the battery. Now with yellowtop, MBR, and batcap, they would be supplying it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1497
Sounds good. I will probably get a yellowtop and use the batcap for the CrossFire like you said. What exactly does the MBR do except isolate the two batteries ?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3250
Well when the car is running, it'll "pool" all the power together and allow the amp to draw on it. If however, the alternator stops supplying power to the main battery, MBR stops pooling, and only uses the aux battery. It will only allow pooling once it senses the main battery is fully charged.
It is a very smart unit.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1501
Do you have one Isaac ?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3253
Have one what? If you're talking about MBR, yes. I also have 2nd battery too.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1503
Yeah i meant the MBR. How do you have yours hooked up. Are you using caps with it and a yellowtop ?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3257
Yes I'm using caps along with them. Caps can't hurt as long as you have enough power to cover it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1506
Just got my MBR 70 in the mail today. Alot smaller then i thought it whould be. That is a plus. IM gonna end up using this with a Optima YellowTop and a Batcap for the Crossfire VR 1000D. So for the main battery i will have it fused within 18" of the battery. What about for the yellowtop ?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3262
Treat the yellowtop like it was your stock. Same fusing concept. The only difference is, now your starter battery is protected and the yellowtop will be supplying most of the power.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1508
OK what size fuse will i need. Same size as the stock ?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3264
It should be big enough to cover your amps.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1512
CrossFire VR1000D is 125A fuse and the PPI a300.2 is 30A fuse so i am looking at 155A TOTAL / So i will probably use a 160A ANL fuse on each battery right? Do i wanna wire the yellowtop to both amps or just one and use the batcap to one amp or both also. Thanks

Gold Member

Post Number: 3266
For the fuse on your stock battery, you could use 80A fuse. The MBR 70 will only draw 75A max anyways. The fuse on the yellowtop however needs proper sizing. If you really wanted to protect each amp separately, you could have one 125A and one 30A. It's a better setup than using one 160A fuse. If something happened with PPI, the amp will fry before the 160A fuse fails.
You treat the yellowtop as if it's your stock battery. Hook all amps to it. The only difference is, you're also connecting batcap in parallel to the crossfire's power terminals.
Make sure you have d block for pos and ground. If not, you'll have a hard time connecting multi amps.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1515
This sounds more complicated then i thought. The distribution block i have is this one http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDetail.cfm?prodID=FB-1024D

and the ground i have it this http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDetail.cfm?prodID=PB-2044

What is the proper way of doing this. Will i need more of these http://www.knukonceptz.com/productMaster.cfm?Category=Inline%20Fuse%20Holders

Im deciding right now if i should use my BatCap 800 or sell it and use my 1.2 Farad Rockford fosgate capacitor that ive had for 4 years. Let me know man.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3270
MO, all you need is 1 ANL and 1 AGU (for PPI) fuse holders.
Does your d block come with ANL fuse? If it does, then you only need 1 more AGU fuse.
Since you already paid for batcap, I'd use it. It is better than cap alone.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1516
Also i have that Orion MBR and it has 2 wires coming from the mbr. One black and one red. What do you connect those to ? two very thin wires.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3273
MO, post your email and I'll send you the MBR manual. It's very easy to hook up.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1519
sulemanshahnawaz@yahoo.com

Gold Member

Post Number: 1520
Thanks Isaac, i needed that. I got the 1/0 amplifier kit from knukoncepts and it comes with the anl and agu fuses. You can check here for me

http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDetail.cfm?prodID=KOL-AK0

So I run the power wire from the stock battery directly into the power distribution block which has 1/0 into 2 4 gauge outs and run it to the MBR and then for my auxilary battery out to the YellowTop and then to the Batcap using 4 gauge also. ?

HOw many inline fuse holders will i need ?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3280
You'll need 3. One from stock battery to MBR, then yellowtop to crossfire amp, and yellowtop to PPI.
Treat batcap like a capacitor, so wire it in parallel to the amp.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1523
Ok so 3 inline fuse holders. What size fuse for each holder ?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3282
Stock battery to MBR, 80A, then match the fuse size requirements for the amps from the yellowtop. For example, if the crossfire needs 120A then use 120A for it. Same thing for PPI.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1526
CrossFire VR1000D is 125A and the PPI is 30A

I dont think they make 125A fuse. In that case can i use 130A

Gold Member

Post Number: 1527
Actually here is all the fuse size's i see

http://www.knukonceptz.com/productMaster.cfm?Category=Fuses

Gold Member

Post Number: 1528
Im gonna need one more of this http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDetail.cfm?prodID=FH-20

and one of these http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDetail.cfm?prodID=FH-24G

Gold Member

Post Number: 1529
Oh i made a mistake Isaac. The CrossFire does take 120A fuse.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1538
k
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us