Components/Amp Question - Technical

Username: Sidhebaap

Post Number: 1
Ideally the system I'm putting together would involved Arc amps running Dyn 3-ways. However, there doesn't seem to be a good match available. I'd appreciate it if someone discuss my choices. I see them as either bridging an amp, finding a different brand, or running separate amps for each component.

I'm unclear how much bridging an amp really affects its performance. Am I better off with an unbridged, lesser amp at that point?

As for running separate amps, the math behind appropriate power is very unclear to me. If I just look at each components individual power ratings, I end up with a lot more total wattage in a system than using the passive crossover would require. I understand the *why*, but not how to produce useful requirements. Additionally, I've seen discussed the idea that Dyn's crossovers are preferable to any but the best separate network.

As for a different amp, something about Zapcos leaves me less than happy. Potentially the proprietary inputs -I do have a prejudice against anything proprietary. The interface on the JL's I like (detented x-overs, the unbalanced 4-way amps, etc.) , but not the underlying engineering. My preference is to spend my money well, but once. Something that I can keep for a decade is my goal.

(As a random other question: Arc claims a regulated power supply, but then posts power ratings that vary with load as if it were an unregulated supply. What am I missing?)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us