Alternator Dead

Silver Member
Username: Iamduff_87

Michigan America!

Post Number: 258
Hey guys. I have recently had many many problems with my electrical system. First I thought my battery just went to crap as I couldnt even jump my car. Then someone mentioned testing my starter with a diff battery and that was the problem. I switched out my started and kept the new battery. I recently took my car to a shop and they tested to see if my alternator worked with both a volt meter and a machine that tested the amperes runnin through my battery and they said my alternator is fried. I was wondering if this was because of my amps. I am running an MTX 311d and a Rockford 60ix. Puliin between 260 and 360RMS for both. Could this have killed my alternator on its own. OR could the old battery being weak along with the amps killed it.

Anyone to get to the point . SHould I buy another stock 93 Nissan Maxima alternator. I think 90AMPs or should I buy a HO?? Anyone with help would be great! Glass if your around I would appreciate your input.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6075
given the choice I'd go with a larger alternator.
imports are notorious for spec'ing alternators very very close to the demands of the car, leaving little to no reserve for adding any high current devices like amplifiers.
Your amps very well may have killed the alternator. Then when the alternator went, the battery wouldn't recharge, which means the battery got drained below it's limit of around 10 volts. When this happens, the battery's cells incur damage and they can't be fixed. The battery from that point on cannot charge to more than it's limit of 4 or 5 cells, which would be 8 or 10 volts.
This in turn, will cause even more damage to other systems in the car.
It's not a pretty picture, in short.

Bronze Member
Username: Addicted2bass

Miami, FLORIDA USA

Post Number: 38
glass is right dont take the chance like i did. I did the same thing, and i wasnt as lucky as you. When my alternator died, it took my 300 dollar alarm system(i had no idea it would take my alarm). IT blew my whole fuse box, bit by bit, until the all my fuses where gon, but when i took it everywhere to get it fixed unfortuneltly nobody knew what was wrong with it so i ended up taking it to the dealer and got totatly ripped off. BUT i got the problem fixed. And they told me i was lucky. BEcause i kept changing my fuses to get me from home 2 work and work to back, each time changing the fuse, and he said if i kept doing that my car could catch on fire. DOnt know if its true but thats what he told me.

Silver Member

Michigan America!

Post Number: 259
well that sucks. can you find out if i would probably need a new alternator? i know im stupid for askin you glass but i searched on the internet and can only find one place taht says anything on my cars alternator. it said i have a 90 amp alternator but i dont know if thats true or if that is enough to support my 360 watt load on my amps. if this isnt enough then i may have to take off my sub amp because i dont have the money to pay for a HO and my dad is buying me a stock one. im lucky he is buyin it for me i cant ask for him to buy me a HO

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 123
mralternator.com
4alterstart.com
alternatorparts.com

iamduff
Unregistered guest
ok i have another question. since i am only pulin about 360 watts rms (max though) could adding an extra battery help the alternator by having to split the loads ?? or would that just change where it has to push the power??

Silver Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 711
Hey John, I checked on your 93 Nissan Maxima alternator, and for a stock, they're asking for $239. HO alternator from 4alterstart.com is around $220. Since your stock alternator costs as much as HO, go with HO.
If they don't have your model, they can take your existing alternator and upgrade it to any size you want.

J Brower
Unregistered guest
hey guys, is it possible to put a seperate battery in my spare tire compartment (have enough room) and run my subs through that? I have a 5000 watt amp, bumping two 15"s. How long would the charge last? I dont want to have to buy a new alternater, because if I did my dad would say enough is enough and probly tell me to take them out for good. Thanks, Jeff

Silver Member

Michigan America!

Post Number: 260
Isaac. Im getting a stock one through my dads work. I think 160-180 he said. And even if I gave him the money I dont know if he would agree but I will ask . thanks though man.

what about hookin another battery up how would thate affect my whole system??

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6110
no. a second battery will increase the load on the alternator by needing to recharge two batteries instead of just one.

Silver Member

Michigan America!

Post Number: 261
ok cool thats kinda what i thought but i talked to a mech at a dealership and he sadi that may or may not help. is there any way to test to see if the alternator is straining to power the battery and keep it charged under the full load??

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6120
sure
use a DMM and watch your voltage rails.
if voltage above idle drops below about 13.8-14.4 volts, your voltage rails are sagging due to teh alternator getting tapped out.
that's pretty much the best way to do it if you can't get access to a clamp-on Ammeter to monitor current draw at the main power lines.

Silver Member

Michigan America!

Post Number: 262
what is a DMM and where could i find one? would they have one at any body shop. or could i borrow one from a auto store or maybe a audio store??

Silver Member

Post Number: 718
DMM = Digital multi meter. You can buy one from any electronic store. Radio shack has it too. They range in price from $10 - $300.
For measuring voltages, you can buy the $10 one.

j brower
Unregistered guest
what if the batt wasnt hooked up to the alternator and you just charged it when it became low? Would the charge last long at all?

Silver Member

Post Number: 723
If the battery wasn't hooked up to the alternator, how will you charge it?
You have to have a deep cycle battery (yellow top from walmart). A typical deep cycle battery might have a storage of 120A. This means if your amp used 120A, it'll last one hour before it's dead. If however, your amp 60A, it'll last 2 hours.

Silver Member

Michigan America!

Post Number: 263
so i can use this

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5 F011%5F008%5F002%5F000&product%5Fid=22%2D810

and just check to see if my battery's voltage drops below about 13.5 or so with everything running including my lights/subs/speakers. do i have to have the car at idle or above idle??

thanks

Silver Member

Michigan America!

Post Number: 264
also isnt there a way to use one of those to more accurately test my amps gain and where to set it at??

Silver Member

Post Number: 730
Hey John, that'll do just fine. You'll need a DMM anyways if you plan on working further with electronics.
The amp's gain setting can be set using your ears. I think glasswolf's previous posts explained it in detail.
Your goal is to match your HU's output voltage with your amp's input voltage. Check your owner's manual. Normally the HU's output is around 4v. So set your amp to 4v or slightly lower to maybe 3v. You don't have to set it exactly. Just don't put it at 1v or lower, cause it'll overload your amp.

Silver Member

Michigan America!

Post Number: 265
ok well the deal with that is i have a mtx thunder 311d. the gain is not listed at what volt the gain is set at

i know there is a way to set gain by ear. it is a very unaccurate way. you turn it up to as loud as you want and listen for distortion, then turn it down a little. the problem with that is with bass, it is hard for me to discern distortion as my sub gets very loud and i hear rattling as i have no had the chance to remove the rattling from my rear deck and trunk area. ill look on the JL site i think they show some way to set a gain with a DMM.

glass do you remember how?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us