Earthquake 40UHC Info

Username: Thrust

Post Number: 1
I bought an Earthquake 40UHC (UHC = Ultra High Current) years ago and just got around to using it. The manufacturer specs are kind of confusing and the web is not much more help. Here's what I know about the amp: rated 20w x 2 @ 4 ohm (fyi:Earthquake lied about the output, it was built when competitors wattage was figured using manufacture specs.) The "Birth Certificate" I got with this amp says it pushes 1040w mono into 2-ohm, (here's where the confusion sets in) HOWEVER I called and talked direct to Earthquake and they proceeded to tell me that, when bridged, the amp "sees" a 2 ohm load from a 4 ohm speaker. The manual says to never hook up more than one 4 ohm speaker to it bridged or (2) 4 ohm speakers per channel in stereo. (So I'm gathering when they said "2 ohm mono they meant (1) 4 ohm sub.) Doing the math, I get 1040w x 1 @ 4 ohm mono (2 ohm to Earthquake), 520w x 2 @ 2 ohm stereo and 260w x 2 @ 4 ohm stereo. I bought this amp along with 4 15" Kicker XPL subs rated at 300w rms each and I want to hook all 4 up for a 2 ohm stereo load (WITHOUT frying them LOL). My question is does anyone have the REAL WORLD specs on this amp? Any info whatsoever, no matter how insignificant, would be greatly appreciated. I'm sitting here wondering why they called this amp "Ulta High Current" when it can only push (1) 4 ohm sub in mono or (4) 4 ohm subs in stereo? *special shout-out to Glass and others for their all their kick*ss help! ROCK ON!

Username: Thrust

Post Number: 9
Well I finally found Earthquake's website, e-mailed them and believe it or not, got a response the next day! Old schoolers might appreciate this info:

TO EARTHQUAKE: ANYONE there know anything about an Earthquake 40UHC amp? I bought this amp at least ten years ago and have never used it! According to my "Birth certificate" this amp is 1040w x 1 (bridged) @ 2 ohms (with (1) 4 ohm speaker). Does this mean this amp is 520w x 2 @ 2 ohm and 260w x 2 @ 4 ohm? What is max pre-amp input voltage? Is my 8v pre-amp Eclipse going to fry it? Is 2 ohm stereo the lowest ohm load rating this amp can handle? Any spec sheets to be had for this model?
I know, you'll probably have to scrape the dust from the archives there, that is, if you even have any info on this amp for me at all. The web is no help and I see no tech help for any of your previous model amplifiers at your website.

FROM EARTHQUAKE: This is a mono block parallel, so you only have one channel.
When you use the two speaker terminals, the amp bridge them on the inside. So if you use 2 x 4 ohm, then amp will run at 2 ohm. About 1200WRMS.
8 volt will fry the amp. Max input voltage is 5 v.
Lowest impedance is 2 ohm
Do not under estimate this amp. People still ask for it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us