Converting RCA jack to Coaxil?

I recently purhcased a new home thearter system but have not upgraded my TV. The video output for the Sony receiver is a RCA (composite)jack but my TV only has one video input and it is coaxil. I purchased an adapter but it doesn't seem to work - I get no video through my receiver. The video only works when I use the coaxil cable directly from my satellite dish, dvd, or vcr. It seems kind of silly to run only the audio through the receiver and none of the video. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Anonymous
Hi Jeff. I'm having a similar problem with my in-the-box home theater system that I got for Christmas. My TV is old but I want to connect the new htib to it. I got the RCA converter but it isn't working. I didn't see any responses on this thread but thought you may have gotten an answer elsewhere. If so, a solution would be greatly appreciated!

T-

Anonymous
Are you guys using a simple connection adapter to convert your RCA plug into a coaxial plug? Or are you using an RF Adapter? If you are using a simple connection adapter then your video signal will not work. Even though you are able to physically convert the RCA plug into a coax plug, the connection adapter is not able to convert the actual signal. You need to use an RF adapter. This is a box that you connect your RCA plugs into the inputs in the back of the box and then connect a coax cable from the RF output to your TV. It is a powered adapter that not only converts the physical connections from RCA to coax, but also converts the video signal to RF. This is the only way you will convert RCA to coax and get a video signal.

Just make sure you run an RCA cable from the "Monitor/Video Out" jack on the back of your receiver to the RCA input on the back of the RF adapter. Then connect a coax cable from the "Out to TV" on the RF adapter to the "In from Antennae" on the back of your TV. Hope this helps.

Anonymous
I have a similar problem....but the other way around:

I want to convert my coax from my cable provider to a composite (3 RCA's: 1 video + L & R audio) so that I can plug it into my receiver along with my DVD and PS2 and use the receiver's video output to switch video inputs to the TV...

is there a similar product for this? I know I could buy a VCR to do this and never use it, but that seems like such a waste...and so 90's :)

thanks

Anonymous
i also have the problem of converting an rf signal into 3 composite signals (1 video + 2 audio)
there are lots of rf modulators that go rca to rf but not the other way....
maybe the circuit is easy to reverse...

Anonymous
My tv only has coax input on back. Xbox and cable are hooked up using converter. Is there a way to hook up output speakers (RCA)? If I hook them to the cable box, the Xbox doesn't play through them. Can't seem to find a converter to do it all.

Anonymous
this is "Anonymous" from March 13...

after some research (internet & local AV stores) I have discovered that converting RF is only really done via a tuner device (usually found in TV's, VCR's & cable converter boxes. The reason for this is that rf signals usually contain multiple signals at different frequencies (channels) while composite signals usually only carry one signal.

the solution for my problem above is to buy a VCR or cable box (preferably one with stereo output) and use that to change channels. That signal would travel into my receiver and out to the TV (called a "monitor" when used like this). then I can use the receiver to switch my other inputs (DVD, PS2, etc..) to the "monitor"; and my sound will change too (some receivers may not have video switching capability).

a possible solution for "anonymous" of march 24th:
there are composite signal switches available (probably $10-$20)that you could plug your Xbox and cable converter into and output to your TV. Since your TV does not have composite siganl inputs you would then need an RF modulator (about $20-$30) to convert the composite to rf for the TV. Then, if you want separate output speakers, you would split the audio signal(s) before the RF modulator.

hope that helps y'all

Anonymous
In responce to "Monday, March 24, 2003-03:07 pm"
If you are good with a soldering iron, you "could" mod the output plug so that the pins for audio out connect to rca plugs instead of the rf adapter. But first you would need pinouts of the xbox plug, which i have yet to find. :(

Anonymous
Try this link for a RF "F" connector to RCA plugs:

http://www.videocapturecard.com/demodulator.html

This is the only thing I could find

Derek
Why would you want to convert an RF signal to composite? You most likely will loose your stereo and surround sound. The picture will be crawling with color bleeding and herringbone patters and it can never be cleaned up because it is so dirty. If your television only has RF, use an RF modulator to convert the superior composite down to RF. Best Buy sell 3 and 4 input versions that should be able to handle everything you want. If you are trying to convert RF to composite, it will work but you don't gain any picture quality by converting the inferior RF up to composite - that's what the tuner in your TV is for.

Visit www.partsexpress.com

Hope this helps.

Anonymous
I too have this problem i want to convert RF to svideo or rca. I want to record of my satelite ( because i dont have a reciver or nothing i just have the rf cable...) what can i do? i dont wanna loss quality...thanks! any info would be great!

Derek
Your Satelite receiver should have A/V outputs and you VCR should have A/V inputs. What type of equipment do you have?

TPB
This is good advice. I'm going to go to Best Buy and see what I can find.

My problem is more computer-related. My PC handles S-Video out, but my television is somehwat dated and only has coax cable in. It seems I'll have to convert S-vid to RCA, then RCA to coax. An S-vid to coax converter doesn't seem to exist.

If anyone has any suggestions, plz share. Thanx
TPB

TPB
Me again! I found a link to a product that converts S-video to coax; I think this'll do the trick for me. It also appears that this would handle RCA to coax; you'd simply not need the S-vid to RCA part. Maybe that's offered as a separate package somewhere on this site...

http://www.svideo.com/svideocoax.html

Cheers,
TPB

Derek
This one will do it but it is VERY expensive http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&User_ID=14088186&St=6126&St2=-55154136&St3=54986648&DS_ID=3&Product_ID=118483&DID=7

Oldie but Goodie
My VFW Post has an old Phillips "PH 6510" CCTV system that has a monitor/switcher that combines power & signal to each camera in one cable. The monitor, switcher & cameras work but voltage to the cameras died. Can't find any thing from Phillips, so is there any thing out there that has a similar format or is repair feasible for a cash strapped community organization?

Anonymous
Hi,

I have an old TV with an "in from antennae" coax plug on the back. I have a VCR, and new digital receiver, and I just purchased XBOX. The person at the store told me I needed an RF modulator. So here's how I hooked it up...

1) Coax from cable tv on wall to rf modulator
2) Coax from rf modulator to VCR
3) Coax from VCR to TV
4) Red/Yellow/White cable from XBOX to rf modulator
5) 2 sets of Red/Yellow/White cables from VCR to receiver

The video works fine, but I'm having trouble getting the surround sound to work from the XBOX.

Do I have it connected correctly or should I just learn to live with this type of performance?

in response to anonymous dated august 25, 2003:

your video works fine but you have trouble getting the surround sound to work from your XBOX? how about connecting your XBOX audio jack to any stereo amplifier that you might have.

hope this helps!!!

Hi all,

I ran across this thread in probably my hundredth search this evening during my quest to discover some information on possibly bypassing my older television's RF demodulator/tuner so that I may directly connect a composite video source. Has anybody any experience with this, here? I was reading a TV repair FAQ earlier that mentioned a procedure such as this as being too potentially dangerous to be worthwhile; As the A/V jacks would be tied in to the main AC line, or something like that. The last thing I want to do is to fry my game systems or video players, but, using an RF modulator to go through to an RF demodulator (inside the television) seems incredibly unnecessary. Any advice out there?

Anonymous
How about just a VCR, get one with all the connectors (s-video, coax, rca, ....) and then it should convert everything correctly:)

Anonymous
Does anybody know how you can use your surround sound speakers with coaxial cable television. I don't have a audio output on my tv and you cant plug the coaxial into the receiver.

Lex
Okay here is a problem. I use a VCR to convert the signal the way you all say for watching DVDs because the TV doesn't support it. BUUUUUUUT the picture keeps fading in and out red and fuzzy. At first I thought it was the DVD player but I even tried hooking up my laptop the same way and tried to watch a DVD thru that also. Same thing picture was good on the laptop but terrible on the TV. The only way to hook up the DVD player is to go thru the VCR and I dont know why it can't handle the signal. The cables are very good ones so I doubt it could be that either. Is there any other options besides buying a new TV since the VCR wont cut it??

Derek
Buy this

Lex
Thanks I will look into it

Anonymous
I want to convert the l and r audio and video rca output on my laserdisc to digital rf so that I can feed ac-3 (or dolby digital) to my receiver as a digital source rather than analog. Can I do that and what do I need if I can?

Derek
You will reduce fidelity if you do that. The digital CAN only be superior if the source is digital. Also remember that AC--3 uses lossy compresion. Send the analog signal to your receiver and let it do the work.

Having said that, the only inexpensive way I know to do this that is Dolby certified is to use an MSI or ASUS nForceII Athlon-based computer. I have the ASUS A7N8X Deluxe and it does Dolby Digital conversion in real time to 5.1 sound with one coaxial digital cable to my receiver.

Hope that helps.

Noel Desouza
Reply to Rex's problem regarding fade in/out when playing DVDs on a computer through a VCR and then to the TV.

This is caused by the 'Macrovision' anti-copy protection technology embedded in all DVD players - which is designed to prevent the copying of DVDs onto VHS tapes.

Macrovision confuses the gain control and color correction of a VCR, making the picture fade in and out, and the DMCA prohibits manufacturers from selling VCRs that ignores Macrovision.

So even though you are sending it through your VCR to get around your player/TV output/input incompatibilities - good old Uncle-Sam presumes different, and is wagging his finger at you with every fade-out you see.

Todd
As mentioned before, to display a composite signal (DVD, etc.) on a TV using the Ant-In connection you need to modulate the signal. Radio Shack/Best Buy/Walmart all sell Ch 3/4 modulators for $18-$40 that do this.

Fancier solutions also let you select the channel to use. Naturally, they are pricier: $70 - $1000
See: http://www.hometech.com/video/mod.html

To show a modulated signal (Tv channel, VCR Output, etc) you need a demodulator. I found two:
http://www.videocapturecard.com/demodulator.html
http://www.xopenonline.com/pdetails.asp?itemID=3015

Good luck

Anonymous

Ok a buddy of mine purchased a 50" Hitachi for 500 dollars not a bad deal but the only problem is where the UHF/VHF coaxial input should be is a male rca cord is there a adaptor you can get to go from a male rca to female coaxial input and would it work?

Unregistered guest
I have an RCA RF-Modulator CRF910, hope to use it to connect a DVD player to an older TV set that only has a coaxial input and a 'two-screw' input. I have followed the instructions, but it doesn't work. The 'on' light doesn't turn on, which means it isn't receiving a signal from the DVD player, although everything is powered and cabling seems fine. If I plug the cable TV into the modulator then the TV shows cable TV, so at least I know something is going through the modulator. However the DVD video/audio doesn't show-up...and there is no TV/Video switch on my TV...I thought the modulator would recognize the DVD input and auto-switch. Any suggestions?

jhuntjens
Unregistered guest
Response to jhuntjens from jhuntjens.

"Problem" fixed. I tried another DVD player (Koss) and it worked fine. For some reason the other DVD player (Samsung) was sending out a signal that the modulator didn't recognize, however the Samsung DVD players works fine with my newer TV.

By the way, the RF Modulator works great. I bought it on ebay for about $13 (plus s&h), new-in-box. It's an RCA CRF910 - picture quality is same as on my newer TV.

mark gardner
Unregistered guest
I bought a RCA CRF910 and it worked once. Now I cant get the power light to come on and I dont get any video.
I have an older RCA TV with only the Coax out, going to the RF Modulator, that goes to my RCA Home Theatre system which has my RCA DVD player hooked up to it as well.
When I bought the Modulator it worked great, a little interferance in the picture, but not bad.
Now I power every thing up and I can never get video. The power light on the Modulator never comes back on...
Whats up with that?

Unregistered guest
I have seen many s-video to rca cables, but can't seem to find a picture on the web to see exactly how it works. Do you connect it from the s-video on the tv to the yellow video cable on the vcr?

Unregistered guest
Ok here's my problem

I've an old TV and i want to split my stardard rf signal so that i can have 2.1 sound - or some version of it. I still need an rf input into my TV. I have no outputs from my TV.

can you help - i'm in the UK too - if you know of a product that works in the US to do this then i could find a similar one in the UK

Username: Mb0128

Post Number: 1
Can I use a satellite receiver instead of a vcr or cable box to convert rf to rac?

Username: Chicaugur

Illinois

Post Number: 1
To Everybody:

There seems to be a common theme here. The answer here in all cases is similar.

Those of you with 1 coaxial input on your tv (no RCA jacks) Go get yourself a VCR. They are very inexpensive. Bring your cable box or Game console, or whatever in to that and you're done.

Until you upgrade to a new TV, this is your most inexpensive option.
Those of you with satellite boxes/cable boxes, Only if they are really old will they not have a combination of RF out (coaxial),S-video,RCA audio and video.
FIRST Look into getting a new satellite/cable box with these options. Satellite companies practically give them away! Many of them have RF Antennae inputs as well for off-air reception.
Incidentally, have any of you actually looked at the ridiculously low prices of televisions? That's another option.....get with the 21st century and get rid of your early nineties/late eighties set. It's cheaper than you might think.
If money is tight, the VCR pass through is your best option.
It's hard to believe that you all have a computer and an internet connection yet still have A/V equipment that is so antiquated. You spend more time watching TV than just about anything. "Invest" in a decent system already!

Unregistered guest
ok...I have a 29", 3-year old TV with coaxial only, DVD player, a RF modulator to run DVD, a VCR,and now a home theater system. We have NO IDEA what cable goes where when hooking up the home theater system. Two years ago we had no problem hooking up the other...help please!

Silver Member
Username: Arnold_layne

MadridSpain

Post Number: 187
If I understand it right, your TV has only one coaxial RF input, nothing else?

Then, firstly: you will not be able to listen to broadcasted TV via your HT system. But don't worry, it's not a major drawback. You will still be able to enjoy surround:

1) Connect DVD to receiver. Use digital (coaxial or optical) connection if available. If not, use Truesurround or whatever available on player to simulate surround.

2) Connect VHS to receiver if possible (2-channel analogue connection). If your HT has Dolby Prologic II or similar, you can simulate surround here too.

3) Keep the video connection as before buying HT, if that worked fine.

Good luck
AL

Unregistered guest
just purchased a Koss digital home theater. I have it connected to a 3yr old toshiba tv,& dvd. Still need to connect vcr and stero (CD) Have the speakers attached and works well when playing a dvd. When watching the tv all the speakers do not seem to work. Your help would be appreciated. If someone could provided me with the directions of what to plug into what in layman's terms

Illinois

Post Number: 2
AJD

You need to understand that not all programs broadcast in surround. Your home theater will decode dolby digital as it is received and send it to the appropriate channel. When there is no information for those surround channels, you won't hear anything from them. This is a common misconception by people new to surround sound and how it works. You can often fiddle around with optional effect modes and force sound through the other speakers but that defeats all the work that sound engineers put into mixing your channels perfectly on a sound stage to match your viewing. Hopefully you can appreciate the difference and understand that as time goes by more and more programming will offer surround. For instance a lot of sports programs are sending ambient stadium noise to the surround speakers.It gives the sound some depth and makes for a more interesting experience. Most every DVD you watch it mixed in dolby5.1 or Dolby digital so naturally they will have all channels doing something almost all the time.

I hope this makes some sense to you and some others. Take a little time to understand theater basics and you'll appreciate it so much more.

Unregistered guest
The RF connector on my cabinet television broke when I was moving the television around. I have the audio/video inputs on the television but how can I bypass the RF connector in order to hook the satellite receiver to the television? The television is too big to take in for repairs.

Illinois

Post Number: 3
Mary, Use the RCA jacks if you have them. Look at your manual for your satellite receiver. It is fairly well straight forward. You will also have to change the inputs on your TV. Look in the menu or setup button on your remote or it may simply be a press of a button on your remote it might say "TV/VCR". If your TV is over 10 years old, do not waste your money on repairing it. TV sets are super cheap now. GOOD LUCK!

[The RF connector on my cabinet television broke when I was moving the television around. I have the audio/video inputs on the television but how can I bypass the RF connector in order to hook the satellite receiver to the television? The television is too big to take in for repairs.]

jsnepo
Unregistered guest
I have an RF modulator and have successfully been using it for two months with my PS2. The only problem that I'm getting is the picture has some vertical stripes on the left side of the display. I think this is because the channel the RF modulator uses is also being used by a TV station. So I figured that changing the channel the RF modulator uses will solve the problem. How can I do that?

I don't have a cable connection by the way.

Anonymous

I have a similar problem to the ones above, i want to use my VCR with a TV card in my computer that only has composite or S-Video inputs for analogue signals (the RF is digital only), my VCR only has output in RF analogue (21-69) do you know of anything that can make the conversion, i live in the UK so i am on PAL system.

Unregistered guest
I have the following problem. I want to split my incoming cable into 2 parts: one line that goes through the cable box into my AV reciever, and the other that goes directly into the reciever, thus bypassing the cable box. The cable box has composite video output so that the video/audio signal can go into the reciever via RCA cable, however I am not sure how to get the direct cable line (not going through the box) into the reciever. My receiver (Denon 2805) has 2 coaxial inputs that can be assigned and I can get an F connector to RCA adapter, but I think that I may need an RF demodulator to change the signal. I don't think that there is one in the reciever. My TV has coaxial input and composite output, but if I have the coaxial signal going into the TV and the composite signal going to the receiver, then I won't be able to have the video output from the reciever go to the TV. In the same way, if I go through the VCR to convert the signal then I will not be able to use the output from the VCR while watching videocasettes.

Unregistered guest
I've seen similar problems, but no good solutions for my situation. Bought a projector TV that only supports RCA or s-video connections. I want to hook my cable TV to it, but I only have coax cable, no converter box. RF-modulators work in reverse. I tried running coax to a VCR, but it only outputs to another coax. The RCA outputs on the VCR/DVD are for the VCR or DVD, not for the cable signal. can hook my TV to it with the RCA outs on the TV, but that defeats the purpose; I don't need a TV and projector. Is there a cable box or VCR that supports RCA out for the antenna or cable signal?

Unregistered guest
I have an old TV, so I had to buy a RF modulator to use the DVD. I also have a cable box. I lost instructions and now I do not know what to do. Can you tell me how to get both my DVD and cable to work. Which wires go where. I did something and the DVD worked, but I lost cable. What did I do wrong. Help. please

Unregistered guest
hi my name is nickson and i would like to find either a connector or modulator that allows me to do coaxial to RCA(3 color plugs, 1vid 2sound). i have looked everywhere and everyone has that in reverse but i want to send out a coaxial signal to RCA reciever. please help

hoeboe
Unregistered guest
here's my problem. I just got the new samsung HTWP3
8 surround sound system. I hava a 2yr old 20" Sony Wega TV. The system works great but I cannot get my Cable stations to play thru my new system. I have connected red and white audio cables from my tv to the aux ports on back of dvd player(tried both aux 1 and 2)neither one works.

Bucket Balls
Unregistered guest
you are all dense.

Unregistered guest
Ok... Plugged into my cable box is a yellow, white, and red cable running to my plasma TV. The coaxial goes from the wall(cable company) into my cable box.

I want to get rid of my cable box and want to know how to bypass the cable box and hook the yellow, white, red cable directly to the coaxial coming from the cable company. (i would run the coaxial directly to the Plasma, but I don't have acess to behind the plasma). So, is there a converter of any kind that can fuse the two wires? Thanks for your help.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us