Sennheiser HD570 vs. Grado SR80 vs. Alessandro MS-1

Bronze Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 61
OK, I need help.

Sennheiser HD570 vs. Grado SR80 vs. Alessandro MS-1

I've not listened to any of these models, but I'd like to buy one. Please help.

Bronze Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 63
Anybody care that I bought the Alessandro's?

Unregistered guest
Are you happy with them? I just ordered a pair myself over the net, but haven't tried them. I hope they're good.

Bronze Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 64
The Alessandro MS-1's are pretty good, but they need to be amp'ed if they're going to be used on a portable mp3 player, so they're pretty much for home use. That goes for the Grado SR80's as well.

For portable use I would probably opt for the Grado SR60's, they don't need an amp.

Silver Member
Username: Donaldekelly

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 105
Seems some people debate that point - saying the 60s need amping, the 80s don't and vica versa. Also that amping the 60s makes a big improvement or not much improvement at all.

Headphones.com says it like you did Christopher - probably the safest bet. See Head-fi.com for more info.

Bronze Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 65
I've had the Alessandro MS-1's for a while now. They're pretty good, although I did swith-out the standard soft foam pads for the doughnut shaped harder foam pads. They absolutely need amping, and are not suitable for most consumers who just want to upgrade their ipod headphones; I mosly use them at home. Also, the coard is too long for portability and too short for home listening! I needed to buy an extension cord for comfortable home listening.
Upload
Upload

Silver Member

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 107
All allesandro phones are basically slightly modified Grado models from what I understand. Do you know which Grado is the equivalent to the MS-1?

Just curious based on your "needs an amp" finding.

Bronze Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 66
Alessandro MS-1's are modified Grado 80's from what I understand, and are comparable to Grado 125's, or so I hear.

My "needs an amp" finding means just that, portable units cannot power the Alessandro's adequately. Even at full-blast, they still sound about 60% powered.

Silver Member

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 108
Thanks

I was interested in the Grado 60s and 80s and am glad I did not buy the 80s due to the amp need problems. I don't want to carry one more box of electronics at this point.

Bronze Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 67
Best bet is to go with the Grado 60's.

Also, consider that all these headphones are "open" style, and will leak sound to the outside world & allow outside noise to penetrate in, you might want to consider a "closed" style instead if they're going to be used on a portable source.

Silver Member

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 109
Yes - good point.

I saw some Sony V-6 headphones for $55 on Head-Fi.com and bought them. Should arrive tomorrow. But people really like those Grados and Alessandros. They might be a bit better for at home.

I mostly will use it with an IRiver MP3 player - and the Sony V6 phones fold up (some) and are a bit thinner than the Grados.

Also, as you say - they don't leak sound as much. They don't leak in as much while out walking, and don't leak out as much while laying in bed next to my wife who is an obsessive reader.

The cord on both the Grados and the Sony is unstylishly thick and long, but that is ok. They both sound much better than cheaper - say Sennheisers like the PX100 I have.

Bronze Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 68
Good luck with the Sony's. Let me know how you like them.

Username: Mathieu

Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Post Number: 1
Does anyone know what is better then the Sennheiser 270, or what is the best noise cancellation headphones in the price range of 150-300 dollars?

Username: Mathieu

Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Post Number: 2
Sorry they are not noise cancellation headphones just the best headphones in that price range. preferably something that does not let in a lot of outside noise

Silver Member

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 110
Sorry - I gave a bad url earlier in the list. Headphones.com do sell headphones. but headphone.com has good info on them as well as selling many different kinds.

http://www.headphone.com/layout.php?topicID=3&subTopicID=26

Mathieu - check out the hd280 pro on that page.

Silver Member

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 111
Much more info at www.head-fi.com I don't know that much but I have stumbled onto the two sites listed which seem to be highly recommended and recommendable.

Username: Hfp22

San Diego, CA USA

Post Number: 1
Get the Grado SR125 instead of the SR80. I've tried both and the 125 are worth the price difference. For hi-quality, u-amped, noise isolation/cancelation for iPod use, get Sennheiser HD280 pros. Excellent sound quality and good isolation and cancelation. Sound much better than most noise canceling crap out there like bose. For home I like my Sennheiser HD595, they were to replaced my SR125. Ilke both very much but the 595 seem better for movies and the 125 better for music except classical (HD595 are better). Don't bother with the HD 570, you can buy the better HD 595 at practically the same price. Also see www.head-fi.com

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 594
have tried the alessandro ms-1s?

Gold Member

Fort Hamilton, NY United States

Post Number: 3277
I nice review of my favorite headphones on a thread I started a few years back...

http://www.headphonista.com/alessandro-ms1/
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us