Xbox and Blu-ray?!

Silver Member
Username: Iufan4lifeul

Post Number: 804
This is just an idea for what Microsoft MIGHT do or should do. The biggest downside of the Xbox is that it doesn't support Blu-ray. I wonder if, right before (maybe 1-2 months) the PS3 launch, Microsoft unleashes an add-on Blu-ray drive that can run off the USB 2.0 or something. That would make a huge dent in the PS3's sales. Ideas?

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 2439
but knowing microsoft they will charge u an arm and a leg to get one. But that would be very sneaky.lol, but i doubt they will anytime soon, maybe with the second generation 360's

Silver Member
Username: Reinhart

Post Number: 229
Plus, there might be bandwidth limitations with USB.

Granted, USB 2.0 is very fast, but the blue laser formats may be able to achieve a throughput that exceeds the bitrate ceiling of that connection. USB 2.0 may be a bottleneck.

Besides, one of Blu-Ray's main contributors is Sony, which is one reason why it's used with the PS-3. It's likely that Sony would never allow Microsoft to implement Blu-Ray in the 360.

Plus, Microsoft has already pledged their support for HD-DVD, which would put them at odds with the HD-DVD consortium if they decided to go with Blu-Ray instead. - Reinhart

Silver Member
Username: Iufan4lifeul

Post Number: 805
what is HD-DVD and is that probably going to be an addon?

Gold Member

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 2495
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HD_DVD

Silver Member
Username: Cuylar

Burnsville, MN USA

Post Number: 146
can't and won't happen.

Gold Member

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 2641
what are u talking about

Bronze Member
Username: D_singh

Post Number: 53
I just hope that HD-DVD and Blu-Ray technology won't be so expensive. I know one of them will use similar manufacturing techniques as current DVD's and CD's, which will end up with costs being less than the other. Maybe it's HD-DVD that uses similar manufacturing?

Gold Member

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 2764
at first i think its gonna be expensive, but it should go down

Silver Member

Post Number: 256
As Mr. Brown has stated, prices for either format will start high but may go down if acceptance goes up. They may also come down when the price of manufacturing hardware and software goes down as well.

Manufacturing techniques would still essentially be the same for discs, but you will need a new lathe that can deal with HD-DVD and Blu-Ray to make the glass master for crafting pressing dies to make the discs. That may influence pricing of the software to help pay for the new equipment. Otherwise, if the discs are reflective optical, they will use a manufacturing process whose idea basically hasn't changed since the late 1970s. - Reinhart

Bronze Member
Username: D_singh

Post Number: 57
I just can't belive how ingenius this new idea for a blue-light laser is. I mean, shorter wavelength means smaller footprint means more data. Coulda come up with this sooner, i think.

I think things will progress to where we will have transparent "cards" kinda like "Minority Report" which end up using concentrated UV light to read and record data to it.

Of course, unwanted radiation would have to kept in check.

Silver Member

Post Number: 265
Actually, shorter wavelength equals higher frequency.

Higher frequency equals more information that can be carried in the beam at one time. This allows an increase in the track pitch density of the disc as a consequence to accomodate the higher bandwidth.

It's very analogous to any other methods of modulation where the relationship between carrier frequency and carrier bandwidth is very clear. Higher frequency means more bandwidth and vice versa.

As for the use of UV media like those in "Minority Report," it may be a very good possibility in the near or far future if holographic modulation for data storage is anything to hint at. - Reinhart

Skip Wells
Unregistered guest
Actually, the flux capacitor radiates in the uv spectrum enabling higher frequencies. The bandwidth in turn modulates the carrier in accordance with c3po and the millennium falcon.
My nonsense equals gobbledygook and vice versa.

Silver Member

Post Number: 288
You're right. YOUR nonsense equals "gobbledygook."

As for my statements, well, it's true and it's actually very simple. Too bad you seem to lack the intelligence and education to understand it. - Reinhart
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us