Archive through March 16, 2005

Username: Kolomau

Daly city, Ca U.s.a.

Post Number: 1
hello,
can someone help and tell me wassup with my ps2 or where can i go and fix it...well the thing about my ps2 is, its not booting up, the game or disc starts spinning and then it sounds like its getting stuck or its not booting or going through all the way? (it starts ticking, after the game or disk spins?)
please help

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 443
sounds like the disk is not catching on the spinners, disks are too thin. Some people put scotch tape next to the holes so that the spinners can catch it.

Username: Kolomau

Daly city, Ca U.s.a.

Post Number: 3
can you please give me more info on how about i can do that? do i just put scotch tape around the whole hole? or little peices?
AND THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR HELPING ME...

Silver Member

Post Number: 447
yes, just around the whole. use a cutter to trim the edges so that there are no excess around the hole. All you need is to ensure that the spinner an grab the disk. It is very common on discs that are blue.
cheers

blank
Unregistered guest
souds like your disck is not clean try cleaning

Matt Whitesides
Unregistered guest
also if the disk is dirty the ps2 will keep trying to read the disk and can make noises like that if it cand find the first code track thing because it is sctrached ore something

Matt Whitesides
Unregistered guest
also with the blue disk thing they spin a lot faster than the non-blue disks so the give the system a harder time so they have more of a chance of doing something like that

Silver Member

Post Number: 808
where did you get the information on blue disks spinning faster?

Anonymous

my ps2 spins the disk for 3 second the it stops and my lense duse not move how can i fix it

Bronze Member
Username: Jrest

St. Louis, Missouri USA

Post Number: 14
I speak from experience. MY PS2 is 3 years old and I had the same problem with inserting a disc and hearing the system just click and hear the cd spin up and then click and hear it speed up again. A student of mine told me that it's actually a lens problem which SONY is aware of. So I called them, and they were very nice and sent me an authorized return number. Within 9 days, I had my PS2 back and it works and they didn't charge me at all.
Here's the link for the phone number to call.
http://www.us.playstation.com/support.aspx?id=howtoobtainservice

Unregistered guest
My PS2 is not reading disk,it tries to but doesn't for some reason and when I go to browser it sez disk read error.

Any suggestions of how to fix the problem?

alex king
Unregistered guest
when i press the main switch to turn my ps2 on the red light comes up and i press the restart button to start it up and it does not boot. please help

jerms
Unregistered guest
my problem started when i inserted a game, the console started to make noise... and i was alarmed to smell something inside the console. Immediately I turned off the console and for some few minutes turned it on...But all it shows is the start up screen and the games does not boot. Is this a problem with the lens? Is the lens destroyed?

hhhhhj
Unregistered guest
i can't load my ps2 game from the browser. Anyone know whats the problem.

DA XPERT
Unregistered guest
WHAT VERSION IS YOUR PS2

kase knochenhauer
Unregistered guest
where can I return my play station with out paying for shipping and handling

my play station will not read any game exept gran turismo 3 aspek any one know why and waht I can do to make it read other games

Absolute
Unregistered guest
my ps2 can only play games formated in dvd-rom i own a few games in compact disc format i beleave are the blue disc so i tried the tape trick but still no joy i dont get that noise or increase in speed just a disc read error and dvd-roms even do they work take an extream amount of time to load does this sound like a laser problem or simply time to by the slim ps2.....lol

nick the quick
Unregistered guest
My ps2 starts up fine but will not load the disc, all i hear is this clicking sound and a few beeps. It doesnt load many games made by EA Games. all of the other games made by other companies are fine.

A MORON LIKE U
Unregistered guest
I OWN A GAME CALLED SIMS A BLUE DISK. IT SEEMS ALL BLUE DISK HAVE AN EXPIRE DATE UR SOMETHING CUZ AFTER A FEW TRYS IT WONT WORK ANYMORE

Anonymous

to all the above get an xbox:`)

sorted:)

batmanforever1
Unregistered guest
i am having problems with my PS2 reading purple disks but NOT the silver (not copys) all the disks are original and it have not been chipped can any1 help? is it the laser? or the brain? or just sony screwing us all out of our money and having a good laugh at our expence?

Anonymous

i guess a lot of people have the same problem, my ps2 wont play the purple bottom disks. someone help me please!!!!!!
and no i am not getting an xbox

nobody
Unregistered guest
Buy a ps1

Anonymous

I have a game called wwf smack down!here comes the pain. And it won`t work on my ps2.HELP!

Anonymous

This is for A MORON LIKE U.DO NOT BY AN XBOX!That justs wasts money.And i know this is late but i just found this web.If you have a generator on your ps2 take it off-for the sims busting out.If your talkng about the regular sims keep it on.

Unregistered guest
Everyone On this link, Everyone call sony they will get your PS2 fixed for free all you have to do is pay shipping and handling, They know that there is a problem with it, so they will repair for free unless you have Physical damage you put on it, Good Luck,O yea also if you get the new "Thin" version of PS2 all it is basiclly is this problem fixed and the modem inserted in the system, So yeah they know the problem!

xboxmike
Unregistered guest
my ps2 wont read blu or playstation discs and its not the discs cause there new but it will read normal dvd disks on ps1 and and blue it just make a high spinning sound

xboxmike
Unregistered guest
my ps2 wont read blu or playstation 1 discs but it will read normal dvd disks but ps1 and and blue it just make a high spinning sound

Griffin4Us
Unregistered guest
Brand new thin PS2 (70000 series)NOT reading the silver discs. Plays the black PS games and the blue PS2 games just fine. Anyone got a clue about fixing this??? Please help.

Unregistered guest
Hey I got my Ps2 the first year it came out and now all I get when i try to play it is Disc Read Error. I tried cleaning the discs, opening it and cleaning out the dust but now nothing works. Please Help

pancho
Unregistered guest
adjusting the lens works i had the same problem and that did trick now it reads any game get info on how to adjust the lens before doing it

Unregistered guest
Hey my PS2 isnt reading any discs. I've tried everything. It makes a buzzing noise when you first turn it on. it goes to the main PS2 screen. I went to the browser and sat there for about a half an hour and at the bottom it just kept flashig Reading Disc.

Unregistered guest
I just fixed a PS2 for a friend last night. I couldn't believe it worked. He was getting "disk read errors" whenever he tried playing a DVD movie or a PS2 game that was on a DVD. His PS2 still read music cd's and games that are manufactured on cd's, so I knew that the laser still worked. I was knew to PS2 troubleshooting, and I found this guide, and it worked. No more problems.
http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/hardware/ps2.ars

I hope it works for you guys. Let me know. It is fairly simple to do.

FB
Unregistered guest
Why does my ps2 play some games but says disk read error on others.

Unregistered guest
Hi I Was wondering if i could possobly fix scratched ps2 games with a game doctor, or if that is a no no.
e-mail me.

sLiM_ShAdY
Unregistered guest
I bought a ps2 the year it came and and now it doesnt read any discs new or old. I have used a game dr. that cleans discs on the old ones and they still dont work. I have also taken it apart a few times and followed the guide on the link posted above. I really need help since the new slimmer ps2 is out of stock everywhere.

Delition
Unregistered guest
To Biggworm, thanks for the site. That was the one I was looking for when I stumbled upon this site. I just couldn't find the freakin' gear when I opened my PS2. Thanks again.

*~Mandi~*
Unregistered guest
San Andreas will not work even tho there arent any scratches and its clean... its the same for ESPN 2K5 Football but any other games work fine what do i do?? my PS2 is like 3 yrs old i think its time for a new 1.

Unregistered guest
my Ps2 will not read any disk. i click into browes and it says Disk Error

Fo Sho
Unregistered guest
yo fo sho my ps2 is a scph - 50002 and ive ajusted it so it reads a dvd a silver ps2 game a ps1 and a blue ps2 disk but it only plays ps1games and da blue ps2 diks fo sho how da hell do i fix dis

criff19
Unregistered guest
ok, i tried the laser adjustment....still no go....it seems that i get the browser screen when i click on it, then the screen goes blank, and thats it. When i adjust the laser, all it does is make it so i get the disk error prompt. so its either the error or no error but a blank screen. What the heck?? any ideas?

Username: Partyxxx

Neath, U K WALES

What I tent to find is if you buy the game or thegaming station it tends to srew you around example i bought the original ps2 the day it hit the shops and it worked fine for like 4 hours i had a ps2 slimline version this x mas and i hought it would be cool to buy the ps2 gta series gta 3 gta vice city and gta san andreas bought gta 3 on a market stall for id already compleated it and solt it so it was just for muking around vice city brand new 1 gues what happent yep it read for 1 hour and then it crashed never to be played again san andreas must have been in the third batch couse that works fine...ps i got an x box there crap dont waste money !!! p.s.s couler of disk has nothing to do with it it's just the format that theyer made in likewise on a pc donlode music in mp3 format and most disk players wont read them so like wise with the disk and ps2 if this does help please e mail me to tell me the further problems ok ?

T_RIP
Unregistered guest
My MADDEN 2005 and other EA games wont load. But most of my other will like Socom II. What should I do.

Anonymous

my nbalive 05 is scratch because my ps2 drop with it and it kepts freezing when i play my season
how can i fix it,please help

T-Rip
Unregistered guest
I got mine to work just by cleaning the lense. You can look at this site http://www.h27.000k2.com/misc/ps2fix.htm it should show you how to clean it. My madden and all other game work now.

Unregistered guest
my ps2 would'nt load up games, it would say disk read error so I saw a guide on cleaning the lens, it worked fine then- for a week! Now it wont work again but does'nt say error. It just says reading disk. Any suggestions? Its about 4 years old.

Sergio
Unregistered guest
I have a problem i havent seen or heard of. When i try to turn on my PS2 it will turn off like 3 seconds after i press the power button. Very very seldom does it work without turning off but it really gets on my nerves cuz it rarely works.

Silver Member
Username: Araknid

Post Number: 171
you all can suck a nut becuz the color of the CD means absolute Sh1t and yes Xbox does blow.

Unregistered guest
Only some of my ps2 games work. When i go to browser it says reading disk... then it disappears and i hear a click click clikc and then nothing happens. PLEASE HELP ME because some of my very best games won't work on my ps2. PLEASE AND THANK YOU,
kyle

T-RIP20
Unregistered guest
Kyle thats the problem i had and then I cleaned the lense. It shows you how to do it on this website http://www.h27.000k2.com/misc/ps2fix.htm. You should only do that if you want to open up ur ps2. Tell me if that helps.

Username: Solid_snake

my ps2 does not play any adult dvds i insert in. it doesnt even read it. I need to get my groove on so someone please tell me what to do with my erection when it doesn't want to load the adult movie.

Username: Don_singh

Post Number: 2
Most of my ps2 games work expect san andreas but before i load up any game my ps2 makes chattering noise but when i bang it the game will load up but on san andreas it get to where the pictures come up when it is loading.
please help

Can I buy anything to remove the scratches or cover them
would a disk cleaner work?

Post Number: 4
two or three years, but all my other games work

Tevion.DeJohnson
Unregistered guest
I put in gta san andreas in my game system it won't read the disk please HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unregistered guest
Hi i have a Ps2 and my ps2 dose not spin the disk it starts and then affter a second it stops. i do not even get a disk read error it says reading disk for a half second and then nothing how do i fix this problem if you know please e-mail me at hotreno12345@comcast.net or put it here thank you.

mad elf
Unregistered guest
i got gta san andres a few days ago and it played fine now it is say ing unable to read disc and i can hear the music skiping i tried a scratch repair kit still no luck please help

jon,bc,canada
Unregistered guest
i own a x-box, ps2, gamecube, and i have never once hand a problem with my nintendo or xbox but my ps2 has so many problems. i have own 3 ps2, don't buy one of those ps2 thin's i have gone through 3 of them, in 3, 1 month. PS2 Sucks don't buy anythin sony

Self
Unregistered guest
my ps2 will only play audio cds..but when i put in a video game or dvd rom it says disc read error..any suggestions?

Unregistered guest
Hi i have a Ps2 and my ps2 dose not spin the disk it starts and then affter a second it stops. i do not even get a disk read error it says reading disk for a half second and then nothing how do i fix this problem if you know please e-mail me at hotreno12345@comcast.net or put it here thank you.

Jon VAN, BC
Unregistered guest
to fix scratches go to "EB games" or someother game shop and ask them for a disk resurfacer

kwame
Unregistered guest
can someone help me.my ps2 won't play my madden 05 which i cleaned several times, but it will play my socom 2, which i must admit i dont take very good care of. is something wrong with the system or my madden?

bull_dawg09
Unregistered guest
hey will any one please tell me how i can clean a disk without buying those disk cleaning kits or w/e somone help please!!!!

Silver Member
Username: Eskimo3

Post Number: 280
This lady did cleaned off a DVD at the movie rental place and since PS@ games are made from DVd's I'm pretty sure this sould work, just barely, add a drop of water to a tissue and wipe clean. Or you can look on the back of a CD case.

bull_dawg09
Unregistered guest
um....... i have added water and it still doesnt work.

lefecious
Unregistered guest
To the people interested in fixing the disk read errors by using the guide posted by other users...

What that guide doesn't tell you is that if you have an older version of the ps2, your adjustment wheel will be touching a smaller brass gear. If this is the case, then every time you turn on/off your ps2, the gear will turn the adjustment wheel back to it's default position and your adjustments will be lost, thus giving you disk read errors again.

Silver Member

Post Number: 286
Well, I tried.

matt1327
Unregistered guest
Hi my ps2 loads san andreas then when it gets to the intro and i press X to skip it it freezes any help thats ill appriciate it

Unregistered guest
Hi, Everytime I enter any type of disk in my PS2 it doesnt read it, when I go into browser there is still nothing coming up, this is on any disk. This problem occured after trying to play a DVD that was not the right region for the console without realising. CAN ANYONE HELP ME!!!!!!

Anonymous

hi my ps2 will not boot the game. then when i enter browser i press the eject button and it says readin disc but then it stops.

Unregistered guest
Hi, Everytime I enter any type of disk in my PS2 it doesnt read it, when I go into browser there is still nothing coming up, this is on any disk. This problem occured after trying to play a DVD that was not the right region for the console without realising. CAN ANYONE HELP ME!!!!!!

Unregistered guest
I have a problem that I opend the PS2 and put it back to gether but now it reeds it but it dosnt paly the game and reads for ever. I have tryed to cleen the lense but it dose the same thang. can any one healp me!

gregg666666666666666
Unregistered guest
in my ps1 version of soul reaver during movies the person you are playing as will only stand and look at the camera he wont talk at all he will just sit there how can i fix this

Dc_Skater
Unregistered guest
My PS1 Game wont work on my ps2. It always says disk read error. what is wrong with it?

Anonymous

my ps2 wont play ps1 games

Anonymous

and it says that u can play ps1 games as well

vergus
Unregistered guest
are you sure there isnt 2 gamers in your ps2?

vergus
Unregistered guest
are you sure there isnt 2 gamers in your ps2?

corey1717
Unregistered guest
is it true that toothpaste and peanut butter fix scartches ?

corey1717
Unregistered guest
so no1 is gonna anwser me ??

Anonymous

hi my ps2 wont read games altogether in browser it just says disc reading then nothing ! can someone plz help me to find a place to fix it or somin?

Username: Matando

One day when i was playing a game and i hit quit to go back to the main menu and while it was loading there was a buzzing noise, and the game wasn't loading, it did this for 30 seconds then stopped. i got to the main menu after this 30 seconds was up. This game was the only game that was having this problem and it kept contiuing. I played other games and they had no problems. Then about six mouths later it happened to my other games. It was so bad i couldn't even watch dvds. As when i put the dvd in the ps2 the noise started, then i hit the reset button and the ps2 made a quieter buzzing noise for three seconds and then the blue light turned on. I already clean the ps2, roated the master gear of the leans and the problem still happens, What is wrong with my ps2?

Anonymous

sony sucks get an xbox ps2s are a rip off

halo 2 @ x-box live
Unregistered guest
when i put in my gta san andreas it will play for about 5 min. then it will say DISK READ ERROR.and its perfectly clean. any ideas

hobi wan kinobi
Unregistered guest
I am truly not much of a "gamer" I have a ps one collecting dust on my entertainment center right now. However I have recieved a hand me down ps2 from someone who got the new ps2. and when I tried to play any game at all I got the fatal "disc read error" my friend said it needed a good cleaning. how right he was eh, after reading the article about dismanteling my ps2 I read other posts and wondering if my consience will be able to bear the lie that I would need to tell to get sony to fix "my" ps2 for free. any thoughts ? oh yeah it will play dvd's I have watched two movies already. but no luck on games I have tried a silver disc (espn football) blue one (madden 2002) and black (tekken 3 and madden 98)all gave me the disc read error. I have accepted this because I am no gamer like I already said. I would be grateful for any thoughts on what to say to sony though. thanks.

Unregistered guest
When I put Live 05, madden 05, gta san andreas inside my ps2 it won't read it. I don't get disc read error problems. It just won't read the games. But, when I put Max Payne in it reads it. Can someone please tell me what's wrong? Thanks!

PinkLuckee
Unregistered guest
Today I just bought a game called Growlanser for PS2 and it had a (blue) back. My PS2 has always been working and no errors have ever occured for all disk colors and DVDS (Had this ps for 3 years already and I play alot of games). But for the first time I had a disk read error and I couldn't get the 2 blue discs to work, it was so frustrating! I decided to look at forums and luckily found this site http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/file/ps2_disc_read_error_a.txt
and WOW using scotch tape method really worked, I was so surprised, there was no more loud whirring noises and it worked perfectly fine! 2 pieces of tape actually helped solve the problem...I hope this helps you guys out, cause it worked for me. It has an example picture there too if you get confused.

PinkLuckee
Unregistered guest
I think that method only works for blue disks because they are thinner? cause the tape weighs it down to get read easier...I'm not sure it might work for other ones too

Unregistered guest
MY ps2 want load the game and every so often it loadz then freezes but it make a weird noise like it scratchin the disc but it aint

please tell me how to fix it its only 3-4 years old!!!!!please

6IXTYNIN9-AZIANZ
Unregistered guest
I'm not an expert, but i do know a little about the technical problem of the PS2. I hope my solution helps. Anyways like dude said up there, it's the lens. I too have experience this type of problem. So did alot of my other friends. You guys are either watching too much movies on your PS2, or maybe dropped it a couple of times. Watching too much movies on the PS2 does cause the lens to wear out. When it does, you have no choice but to replace it. It may not be such an good idea to try and clean the lens yourself. You can risk the chance of damaging the lens even more then it already is. Now about droppin your PS2. When you open up your PS2, under the expansion bay bracket and the power supply board, there are 9 very tiny screws that holds the metal plate, the mainboard, and the disc drive together. Have any of you ever had them times where you'd pick your PS2 and hear some type loose screw jumpin around inside? If you had, that's because you've dropped your PS2 before. Now the whole lens machanism is magnetic. If that loose screw gets caught on the machanism, this creates a gap because the screw will be wedge between the lens and your disk. Therefore, making your disk unreadable. Sometimes even cause the drive to not spin. When this happens, you'll have to open up the PS2 and remove the the screw yourself, BUT do careful. There's going to be alot of screws (which you do not want to lose) and be extra extra careful not to tear any of the ribbion wires. If this is not the case, there's one solution left. Because you dropped your PS2, the impact have cause the lens to get knocked out of it's original postion. This causes certain games to freeze or even become unreadable. Examples: All GTA's games, Project Miverva, Aero Dancing, Parasite Eve, Devil May Cry 3, Metal Gear, Biohazzard outbreak (games with very large files) etc... To fix this problem, you'll have to re-align the lens. For those who MOD'd their PS2, (USA)PS2 games are direct boot. To boot improted games and PS1 games, hold reset button to switch off console. After console is turnt off, release and hold for more 5 sec. or until the word "SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT" appears. *Note when "SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT" appears, your console will automatically turn off shortly after. Tap reset once to turn back on and put in imported or PS1 disc. It will boot. To boot movies - all region, all format, hold reset button switch off console, then hold eject button for at least 5 sec. Put in disc and it will boot. *Note I strongly suggest you not to use a PS2 as a DVD player if you cherish your PS2.

Silver Member

Post Number: 556
Why can't you do the DVD thing? Will it bust the PS2?

Unregistered guest
MY PS2 WONT PLAY PS1 GAMES!

Anonymous

ok i have the shitiest ps2. Its fine booting up but then ill put a cd in and it wont even say disk read error it will just say no data, when i no for a fact that the disk is in there does any 1 have any advice for me

Flying Scotsman
Unregistered guest
I am an experienced modchip installer, and have loads of experience with ps2 consoles. Fact is, if it wont read the laser is either dirty or fried. If its a v 9-12 console and has been modded poorly, this also cook the lens. This can be checked by measuring the resistance on the tracking and focusing coils which, if good will give a reading of over 5 ohms resistance. Anyways, all v9 -12 consoles need a fix whether they are modded or not. I have attached a picture of the mod needed, otherwise you will end up with a fried laser sooner or later.

Have a look here: http://www.ps2-scene.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9

Here you will find an expeinced set of guys who unlike some in this forum, are offering advice when they have not the faintest idea of what they are talking about.

Check out the link, you might learn something interesting.

The Flying Scotsman...........

Brittaney Bower
Unregistered guest
I have this game and it has a lot of scratches,like there are these little ones and there are big ones,and its covering the whole back of the game.The scratches are even over laping the other scracthes,and when i put the game in it playes fine but the graphics are blury and then it says that there is an error..What do i do? Do I have to bye another game?Please I need to know.

Unregistered guest
My PS2 has a problem where, when you put the game disk in(GTA:SA)i here two clicks and nothing. I went to "Browser" and tried again. It displays "Reading disc..." then quits. Sometimes I can get it to work by re-inserting many times, but it finnaly just quit. Any ideas on the problem?

Jon

Jon_from_Washington
Unregistered guest
No. Colbert.

Username: Menacer

Los Angeles, CA USA

All of you guys are too funny... THE ANSWER TO ALL OF YOUR QUESTIONS HAS BE POSTED TWICE...

To fix your problems do one of two things...

1. Send your playstation in to Sony... Info..

For technical assistance with the PlayStation 2, PS one, or PlayStation in the U.S. & Canada, please contact SCEA Consumer Service at 1-800-345-SONY (7669) Monday - Saturday 6:00 AM - 8:00 PM PST and Sunday 7:00 - AM 6:30 PM PST in order to thoroughly troubleshoot your problem and for us to assist you.

-- Or Option 2.. Fix it your self

Biggworm posted this link... I have fixed 5 playstations with this fix.

http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/hardware/ps2.ars

This little sucker is the key!

Upload

P.S. THANKS BIGGWORM!!! Also thanks to the guy who posted this website link.

AAAZZZ
Unregistered guest
For anyone who says xbox are crap ,i bet you won,t find a problem page like this one for the xbox

Username: Menacer

Los Angeles, CA USA

AAAZZZ , I already own a PC.. 2.4 GIG over 300 Gigs HD space and 2 gig ram... ATI 9800+

If I want to play silly Xbox games I'll just hook my PC up to a TV...

I'm sure Microsoft is soon to start making refrigerators and dishwashers with PC POWER!!! WHOOO... And don't forget my LAN connection!

I bet all you Xbox guys cant wait for the new Xbox two!! OH wups... I already have one.. Let me just upgrade to 3.4 Gig CPU and I'm there...

Even if Microcrap and Kidtendo dueled up.. Sony will still own the two....

YO Bill.... If you need some advice... I'm here man... :P
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us