My PS2 makes clicking noises when disc is inserted and it wont load

Username: Lachhman123

Burlington, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1
This has been going on for about a month and.
when i put my disc into my ps2 it closes but then it makes rough grinding and clicking sounds and it says reading disc but it doesnt load up.
Help Would Be Apreciated

Drasher99
Unregistered guest
take the ps2 apart and lubricate the rails the laser goes on it should fix the problem

Unregistered guest
what should we lubricate it with? my email address is coelder@davidson.edu

thanks

Unregistered guest
Hey, I have a similar problem with my portable cd player, could anyone of you email me the solution?

Silver Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 793
what kind is it, if it super cheap just buy a new one

Username: Shocfacter

Post Number: 2
Sounds like it needs a new snake motor. Thats what was wrong with mine. I got it fixed for 60 bucks.

Silver Member
Username: Reinhart

Post Number: 257
The snake motor would be the kicker motor, and the shaft is called a worm gear drive.

The fix is relubricating the sled rails on the traverse. I use a 1/3 bearing oil 2/3 white lithium grease mix to relube the rails. This makes a very loose grease that stays in place while preventing bindups between the rails and the sleeve bearings on the pickup. - Reinhart

Username: S_fiher2

Liverpool, London UK

i will like to order for a ps2. i need the price right away

Silver Member
Username: Reinhart

Post Number: 279
Before opting to replace any parts, first try relubing the mechanical components. - Reinhart

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 3308
hey kip if u dont mind could u check this out

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/video-games/183198.html

im not sure what he means buy 120% and all that stuff???

Unregistered guest
If you've tried lubricating already without any success, I suggest leaving the tray out and watching the laser mechanism to make sure it is making contact with the little micro switch next to the spindle, which holds the disks. This micro switch tells the motor that guides the laser mechanism whether or not it has reached its furthest closest to the center of the disk. If the micro switch is out of alignment or has been pushed back too far, it would create the problem you referring to. This commonly occurs when replacing a laser mechanism with a new one that has a slightly different housing. If this is the case, you will need to either move the micro switch closer so it can be tripped or use some kind of spacer that will allow the micro switch to be toggled before the laser mechanism comes in contact with the spindle. Please, feel free to email me at jxiong@iconsult4u.net if you need more detailed instructions. Make sure to title your subject with "PS2 Problem" so that my spam filter will not clock it.

Username: Anakin1983

Hi
I dunno if any1 else has had this prob, but I got "24" the game last week & it played first time round, then crashed at near end of level 2, it made really bad clicking sounds. My console is new, few weeks old and it plays other dual layer discs fine, like Black and Smackdown vs raw 2006 so it isn`t the hardware. When I enter browser it says "The disc could not be read". The disc is new, there are no scratches on it, its clean etc. Help! if anyone gets or hears same problem let me know, me thinks Sony have released a bad batch or someething.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us