TVs Have Gone Kapoot

Alison
Unregistered guest
Our 3rd tv has just gone kapoot, however, unlike the first 2, this one wasn't old and possibly on its last legs anyway. This one is only 3 months old. (I'm returning it tomorrow.) It is not a projection tv, just a regular 20 something inch tv.

My question is: what does the PS2 manual mean by taking breaks during extended play? How long of a break for how long of play? Our boys have been playing a gazillion hours straight through and my husband thinks this has caused our tv woes. Could he be right? What should the gaming rules be with the new tv we'll be getting?
Thanks for any recommendations!

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1910
actually the breaks are meant for relieving eyestrain. it is more of an anti litigation statement:-)
Also, it is meant to reduce the chances of your TV suffering from "burn-in". It is a permanent mark left on your tv display when the same image are on the same spot on the screen for extended periods of time. It looks like the ghost images you see on ATM screens.

Alison
Unregistered guest
Thanks, Berny. I kinda thought the breaks were for us, not the tv, but wasn't sure. We didn't have any burn in, just - kapoot. The boys said that the screen froze and then went black, closing in on itself from the edges. And then, the center area of the screen flickered off and on with a light orange hue. #2 son then unplugged the tv and when he plugged it back in, it didn't work at all.

Is there any chance this is playstation related, or should we just assume it was a faulty tv? It was getting what I would consider excessive play - between the boys and their friends it seems that it was going all day long for a few days straight.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1924
Allison, I cetainly doubt that it is playstation related. I have 3 kids and between them and their friends, they give the TVs a very thorough workout with their video games. I have had a playstation console burn out but not the tv. I'm willing to bet that it is a faulty TV. Does your area experience a lot of power surges? i'd get a surge protector for the TV and the Playstation, if that's the case.

Alison
Unregistered guest
Yes, we do get surges, so, maybe that has something to do with it. Thanks

Gold Member

Post Number: 1927
There's your culprit, power surges are not good for electronics.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us