Xbox hooked up to home theater,, optical?

Username: Lysis

Detroit, MI Usa

Post Number: 2
Hello, just wondering to get the sound in 5.1 on xbox do i have 2 simply hook up a optical wire from the xbox and plug it in the optical out put in my home theater system? I know i have to buy a monster cable to do so but just wondering if thats all that has to be done? thanks for any help you may have.

Scotty2Hotty
Unregistered guest
Go to Circuit City/Best Buy and get

(1) XBox AV pack, which is $20 (get the Advanced AC pack if you want to hook it up to a HD TV).
(1) Optical cable--doesn't have to be Monster--any kind will work. No need to pay $80 for a Monster cable.

That's it. Make sure the optical output it turned on on the XBox (check the settings through the dashboard). Plug into your reciever.

Username: Lysis

Detroit, MI Usa

Post Number: 3
Thanks scotty, by the way do you know if a hd box (tuner) is needed to get the xbox in hd? I have a hdtv but i did not buy the tuner yet, thanks again.... :-)

Username: Scotty2hotty

Chicago

Post Number: 1
Not really sure on that one...

lazarus2297
Unregistered guest
let me get this straight if i just use what came with the Xbox which is the composite video and the L and R audio i won't get 5.1 dolby digital? I have the basic xbox connector plugged into my reciever should i get something else to get better sound?

Bronze Member

Chicago, IL

Post Number: 32
Yeah--for true Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround you need to get the XBOX AV pack and an optical audio cable. You also need an optical in on your receiver.

If you do this don't forget to go into the XBox settings and enable optical.

The way you have it will give you Prologic surrouns, which isn't bad. It's just that Dolby 5.1 sounds better.

lazarus2297
Unregistered guest
i went to best buy today and got the advanced AV pack and a optical cable and hooked to my HTS and it sounds better i can tell the difference in the sound, but i am now using s-video instead of the basic composite cable and don't notice any difference in video quality.

Bronze Member

Chicago, IL

Post Number: 33
I don't see much difference in video either.

zeus12
Unregistered guest
If you get the monster hdtv component cable for your xbox i noticed a huge difference in graphics compared to the s-video just buy the video only and use your optic cable aswell

lazarus2297
Unregistered guest
i think i will stick with what i got i don't want to keep spending the component adapter for the xbox is more than the advanced av pack, the picture is great to me. The main part i was concerned about was the sound and now that is great so i am done now it's time to invest in games.

Username: Alamakluke

Post Number: 4
I notice that there is a lag or the picture seems out of focurs when I play NHL 2005 on my Sony KF50WE620 LCD TV. Right now am only using composite so I know I need to upgrade to component, but will upgrading to component eliminate the lag in the picture???

snake03
Unregistered guest
my xbox is hooked up with componet video cables,i want to get optical,do i need to buy the avpack,or just buy the optical cable,i aleady have the reciever

Silver Member
Username: Jakdaxtersgirl

USA

Post Number: 437
hey is ur name snake03 b/c of the mgs series? I like mgs! :-)

Gold Member
Username: British_power

Post Number: 1288
ok...............................................

Bronze Member
Username: Sr_immortal

Post Number: 25
Luc,

I have only used component with my Tosh DLP, but from everthing I have researched, yes the lag will go away with the component cables...

Unregistered guest
Guys, I haven't had luck with the Monster audio cable. Optical audio has more sounds from the game for sure, but on my system is constantly pops and the voices sound warbled. Sounds fine with the RCA audio and the stereo is okay becuase if I run optical in from my DVD there is no problem. Ever hear of that? If the monster opti-audio adapter bad?

Unregistered guest
hi. i bought an optical kit online for my xbox only to find that it didnt work. would it be because my xbox is chipped? or is it more likely to be a faulty optical unit.
ta.

Anti Epitome
Unregistered guest
(quote)I notice that there is a lag or the picture seems out of focurs when I play NHL 2005 on my Sony KF50WE620 LCD TV. Right now am only using composite so I know I need to upgrade to component, but will upgrading to component eliminate the lag in the picture??? (end quote)

LCD's, especially older and cheaper ones, have a "ghosting effect" that happens during very fast action sequences (such as a video game). Check the specs on your TV, and look for screen refresh rate. Anything under 12 is unnoticeable to the human eye. Component cables will help by creating crisper outlines, but may not eliminate the ghost effect completely.

(quote) Guys, I haven't had luck with the Monster audio cable. Optical audio has more sounds from the game for sure, but on my system is constantly pops and the voices sound warbled. Sounds fine with the RCA audio and the stereo is okay becuase if I run optical in from my DVD there is no problem. Ever hear of that? If the monster opti-audio adapter bad? (end quote)

A digital audio signal shouldn't do that. Since it is digital, you either get the entire signal or none at all. My guess would be a faulty transcoding chip, since maybe your receiver is transcoding the digital signal to analog. I really don't know how to fix this, since I'm only guessing that is the problem anyways.

Anomalymous
Unregistered guest
I have a problem with the optical out on my xbox.
It used to work but then stopped.
I checked the cable and the red light is very dim, whereas it used to be bright (like the optical out on my PC is).

Is it likely to be the cable? (The Xbox lead that came with the set, I know the optical cable's fine).
I don't want to buy another if it might be something internal.

Both Dolby Digital and DTS are enabled in the settings.

Tia.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us