Xbox and HDTV

Username: Crod

Post Number: 1
Is there a diffrence between component video and HDTV? I am currently running my TV with the component cables, yet i feel that i can get more out of it. My main question is, If i were to get a HDTV receiver would that picture from my xbox come in anymore clearer than the Component Video or am i comparing apples to oranges?

Silver Member
Username: Revan

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 141
do u have the HD pack for XBOX. the reciever
doesnt have anything to do with your XBOX.

goku
Unregistered guest
does the picture quality change if i use a hd pack on my xbox on a regular tv meaning not hdtv?

Silver Member
Username: Revan

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 147
gok
no dont waste your money.

Username: Axeae

the HD pack will still definently give you an increase in picture quality, even without a high definition television. its higher quality than svideo cables and svideo cables are higher quality than composite (the cables that come with the xbox)

Username: Alamakluke

Post Number: 3
I recently purchased a Sony KF50WE620 and right now I have my XBOX connected through composite only, and the picture just sucks! I understand that I have to upgrade to component cables to improve the PQ, but will it make a big difference, because right now when I play NHL 2005, because the so much moment, the TV seems out of focus, or basically the picture lags. Will upgraded to component eliminate that problem?>?????

Username: Skasol

yes it will you have to also turn the resolution up on the console, trust me it does make a difference.

Username: Bandithdlover

Usa

well will the generic hd cables that you can find on ebay do the job, also will the xbox actualy accept the generic one. becuase i dont want to pay more when i could get it for less.

Unregistered guest
Just a simple question for you guys !
Hum...do you know...wich HDTV is the best for top reslotuion with xbox ?!!!
Im looking for a HDTV but Im lost and I don't know what to buy and in the end all I want my HDTV for is my xbox to be plugged on it.
Cius!

Username: Bandithdlover

Usa

Post Number: 3
any tv with 780P or higher do not get a 1080i setup it is a waste of your money also for a gamer a lcd screen will do the best job look at the new samsungs... also if you can afford a 1080P set go for that one.

Bronze Member
Username: Saaketham

Post Number: 16
I got the HD-AV Pack for XBox from EB Games last evening and tried it out with my Sony 46" HDTV. Even with regular 480i and 480p games, the picture was much better than RCA composite (Yellow, White, Red). I then played a 1080i game (MX vs ATV) and the picture was astounding. My friend who was with me at the time was also very surprised at the increased resolution and clarity. That game has awful graphics, but the increase in resolution was very visible. Even without a HDTV, if your TV has component input (Y,Pb,Pr), I'd recommend you get the pack - its $ 20.

Username: Scripts

Pomona , CA USA

Question...I have a Medallion HDTV 1080integrated and i was wonder if playing an Xbox on this tv would ruin it at all?

Username: Kevflan

Post Number: 2
if my hdtv isn't integrated hd, do i have to run my xbox through my external hd tuner to get the hd picture or can i just connect it straight to the tv and get it? somebody please help.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
"Integrated HDTV" pertains specifically to TV reception and how the TV can receive and decode HD feed. It has nothing to do with other video sources, such as DVD players, PC, XBox, PS2, etc. My TV is a HDTV monitor alone, but connecting a XBox and playing a 1080i game makes the video output HD and so does connecting a PC with a graphics card that has DVI-out and can output HD resolution. So, your TV dosn't have to have HDTV tuner built-in for your XBox. You don't need to run the XBox video through anything before it gets to the TV either.

Bronze Member
Username: D_singh

Post Number: 39
Jeremiah, it's 1080 INTERLACED, not intergrated.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 52
>> Jeremiah, it's 1080 INTERLACED, not intergrated.

Either that, or he's referring to a TV with a built-in HDTV tuner.

Username: Roblord

Florida Us

Post Number: 6
There's very few xbox games that output true hd, but there's something on the horizon to put that to rest. 360, get to the stores, bring your psp's, next monday night. Go to a store showing monday night football in Hd to make the wait with 58 moms doing their christmas shopping for little junior easier to deal with.

Bronze Member
Username: Reinhart

Post Number: 98
"I got the HD-AV Pack for XBox from EB Games last evening and tried it out with my Sony 46" HDTV. Even with regular 480i and 480p games, the picture was much better than RCA composite (Yellow, White, Red)."

This is to be expected.

With composite video, both the luminance/sync (the greyscale video) and chrominance (the color) components of the video signal are composed into one, which is why it's called "composite." The signal has to be processed by the monitor's comb filter to seperate the luma and chroma before it can be used to drive the display.

S-video means "seperated video." The chroma and luma elements are delivered seperately instead of being combined. If the video itself was natively seperate, then there will be a noticeable gain in picture as the signals are delivered with minimal, if any, alteration that could reduce resolution.

Component video takes s-video a step further by having two seperate chroma channels (Pb, Pr) along with the luma/sync (Y). Component connections, of course, allows support for video signals that are also component in nature but are not NTSC standard, which is what DTV is in its supported resolutions (480i, 480p, 720p HDTV, 1080i HDTV). - Reinhart

drewkbell
Unregistered guest
A question for the XBox / XBox 360 - If you have a TV that is a HDTV monitor, would you need an HD Tuner to get the supported resolutions? Or - will the XBox do that for you if your TV is capable of doing HD?

Thanks for your help...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 60
>> If you have a TV that is a HDTV monitor, would you need an HD Tuner to get the supported resolutions?

NO! XBox 360 will support 1080i and 720p and games can only be in 1 of these formats, as far as I know. As for the XBox 1, even it supports upto 1080i, but only few games are available for that. Take a look at this list. http://www.hdtvpub.com/productdb/games/index.cfm?platform=xbox&r720p=yes&r480p=n o

You need to start XBox without any disk, then go to Settings -> Video and change the setting to whatever the game's capable of. For instance, MX vs. ATV Unleashed, Enter the Matrix, etc are capable of 1080i, while Tony Hawk, Amped 2, True Crime, etc are capable of 720p, which is almost as good as 1080i, owing to it being progressive as opposed to interlaced.
Just to play HD games, you don't need a HDTV-tuner. If you want to watch HD channels, say from an antenna, you'll need a built-in tuner or an external box. If you subscribe to Cox's HD service, you can rent their box for $10 a month.

drewkbell
Unregistered guest
Thanks. That is what I thought. Just wanted to hear from someone else.

Unregistered guest
HELP!!!!
I have a Samsung DLP TV (HL-R5064W). There have been some posts about "time lags" with PS2 and XBox games. Does anyone know if this is also the case with XBox 360? If so, is there anything to get around this problem? Samsung gives some advice, but not sure if it applys to the 360 (http://erms.samsungelectronics.com/customer/ca/jsp/faqs/faqs_view.jsp?PG_ID=3&AT _ID=20012&PROD_SUB_ID=41&PROD_ID=-1). Thanks in advance!

SCC13 Sam C
Unregistered guest
I have a question. If I get an HD TV, but it says it is HD compatable, but that it Requires an HD Tuner. I mainly want to use this T.V. to play on my xbox 360. Will I still be getting the same quality picture without the HD tuner when I'm playing on my 360? The T.V. in question is the Samsung LT-P1795W 17" 16:9 HDTV Ready LCD TV

Bronze Member

Post Number: 51
Your 360 will act as the tuner. To be able to watch HDTV from cable, satellite or antenna you'd need a tuner, but for HD picture from 360, all you need is a HD-compatible monitor.

timorr
Unregistered guest
I have a non HD TV with component inputs. Is there a way to use the Xbox 360 components outputs with this type of TV? Right now I am connected through the RCA video cable (the component is connected but will not show a picture unless the the switch is on "TV") and the picture is disapointing. The old Xbox through component was better.

Thanks

Unregistered guest
I have a SONY HDTV that has the HD inputs on the back along with the regular A/V inputs. I bought a set of HD cables from Gamestop for my Xbox (NOT A 360), and my TV supports up to 1080i and all the ones below it. I wanna know if there is something else I need to do, because the quality DEFINATELY seems worse than the regular cables (I also wanna know if the Y, W, R cables are "component" or "composite"). The games that I have tested it on and looked at the detail were Halo 2 and Madden '06. Someone please give me a little information about the different styles of cables and what I need. Thanks

Bronze Member

Post Number: 73
Sgt. Stone, the YWR cables are composite video (Y) and L/R audio (W and R). Component video cables are red (Pr), blue (Pb) and green (Y).

Component cables, HDMI and DVI will support HD.

mrjb
Unregistered guest
FYI, 1080i is BELOW 720p. 720p would be equivalent to 1440i.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us