Big sound in a small room

Username: Mathgeek

Post Number: 1
1 Front: JBL Northridge E90
2 Center: JBL Northridge EC35
3 Surround: JBL Northridge E30 (not pictured)
4 Sub: JBL Northridge E250
5 Receiver/Amp: Pioneer VSX-1015TX
6 Media: Pioneer DV-588A-s DVD/DVD-A/SACD/DivX player
7 HDTV: Sony WEGA KV-30HS420 30" 1080i/720p
8 HDTV Tuner: Samsung SIR-T451 Digital Set Top Box
9 Power: Belkin PureAV Power Console PF40
10 Tape: Pioneer CT-W606DR (with digital filters)
11 Music Server: Apple Airport Express
12 Misc: Coffee table made from old computers and plexiglass

My favorie gadget in this setup is the Airport Express (11) it's the size of a wallet, receives Apple Lossless audio from my laptop, and outputs to the amp over digital optical cable.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Silver Member
Username: Westcott

League City, Texas

Post Number: 131
That Sony produces one of the best HD pictures I have seen on any HDTV!!! The black levels and contrast make every other technology envious and a great price too!!!!

JBL has been around for a long time and also a great bang for your buck product!

Even your speaker placement is pretty good. The center channel is off the ground and closer to the primary listening axis. To bad limited space forces you to place them against a glass wall.

Great job. I am sure you will enjoy your system for years to come.

Silver Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., 4000 isnt ev... 100,000dB FU...

Post Number: 108
Looks like a good system to me. Keep up the good work.

Username: David_ryan

Post Number: 4
does your pioneer amp go into protection when it heats up mildly?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Westcott: I love the Sony too. It weighs a ton, but the picture is amazing. The speakers are as far away from the wall as I could manage in such a small room (about 18 inches on sides and back). Is that still too close?

Andre Money: thanks. ;)

ryan david: The amp has never had a problem. Is this something that happens to Pioneers?

Gold Member
Username: Thx_3417

Post Number: 2439
Dave

I see you're a JBL and THX man excellent, excellent we can do with a few more around here.

Upload

The Northridge range is a good range thou the three-way bookshelf types N 50 would be very well suited given the fact there the same size and would look and sound awesome when placed on a horizontal plane and on a platform that will be suspended above the TV monitor.

If you where to conduct a simple test, connect one of the E 90 up to the centre channel and you'll see what I mean the smaller EC 35 won't do justifiable sound quality to the dialogues depth or to sound effects and music where most films have high dynamic range being produced via the centre channel and reproduction of that sound would be lost on a smaller loudspeaker.

But there is the mirror imaging of the stereo sound I would personally like my fronts changed with some newer JBL and thou I don't have the cash on hand for the LSR range I can only wait for opportunity Dave opportunity but the N 50 will reproduce a thrilling sound.

Silver Member

League City, Texas

Post Number: 132
Your lack of space is a common problem but every attempt you make to keep the area around your speakers open, the better.

Corner placement for the sub is a good start but more space would allow for some experimentation.

This link has several good white papers to get you thinking. A system is never done for us tweakers and this info is good reading.

Happy Holidays!

Silver Member

League City, Texas

Post Number: 133
http://www.harman.com/about_harman/technology_leadership.aspx

Lets try this again!

Silver Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., 4000 isnt ev... 100,000dB FU...

Post Number: 140
Ho Ho Ho! Very Good Westcott! Oh, and yeah I've been I big fan of Jbl since I first heard it. Since I've also grown fond of others like B&W, Paradigm, MartinLogan, Etc.

Silver Member
Username: Gamerdude

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 311
Looks good dude i got the same Belkin power unit

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Thanks for the links Westcott. I bought these components thinking that when I move into a bigger home I could use continue to use them. But now, in a smaller place, I'll take any advice I can get on how to optimize the sound. Thanks again.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us