Fake Computer Scan

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 959
Your site is launching fake computer scans. When I clicked on a thread in the Home Audio forum, a scan of my computer was initiated (not cool), which was detected and shut down by my anti-virus software. This ocurred 3 times in succession. I'm not sure whether you've allowed this to be injected into your site on purpose, or if this is being implemented in some other way, but I thought you should know about it.

If you are allowing this knowingly, it is a severe violation of security and privacy for the users of the site. I will not frequent a site that allows such intrusions.

Silver Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 960
A little more info. The Virus name is JS_FAKESCAN.SMI. Located in my temporary internet files after clicking on a thread on this site. I see you have a "Run a free scan for Windows errors" add on the site, which I'm wondering is what is launching the scans. If so I repeat this is entirely a violation of your Customers security and privacy. Customers need to request the scan be initiated if they are interested in the service, you can't just launch an unrequested scan of someones harddrive. Please look into this asap.

Username: Admin

Post Number: 8001
That should absolutely not be happening.

Does the problem occur randomly or on a specific page?

Please send us a screenshot if possible.

Platinum Member
Username: Plymouth

Canada

Post Number: 14389
This fake scan can be done with a dll taken on a other site then actived by a click on this thread!

Which anti-virus you use?

Post the link of the thread which cause this problem!

I recommend Avast Anti-virus!

Silver Member
Username: Finish22

Post Number: 225
First of all, we need to know if the link you clicked
was posted by a member, or was one of those Google ads that appear
after the first post or on top of the page.

If it was a Google ad , we don't control these ads, so it has to be reported
to Google here.

If it was a link posted by a spammer (automated or not) or an ecoustics member,
then tell Admin who "he" is, so he gets whacked

Anyway, you should know better than clicking on links
when not completely sure they're safe...

Silver Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 984
I was clicking on a link in the Home Audio/Speaker forum. I can't remember which one. I clicked on it 3 times and 3 times it did the same thing. Each time my anti-virus software blocked it (Trend-Micro). I then went back to my Home page and worked my way back to that forum and to the thread.....and this time I was able to get in. It hasn't happened since. However, on my other computer (which has different anti-virus software) it has happened before and the av software failed to pick it up and a scan started from my computer. I don't know what's launching it, but it only happens on this site.

As I said before, there is a bar on the right (see picture below) that looks awfully suspicious.

Upload

I'm not sure why it would activate with me clicking on a thread, but it seems a bit of a coincidence.

Silver Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 985
"This fake scan can be done with a dll taken on a other site then actived by a click on this thread!

Which anti-virus you use?

Post the link of the thread which cause this problem!

I recommend Avast Anti-virus!"

As I said, I'm running Trend, and it caught the issue, so I don't think I need new anti-virus. The problem isn't my anti-virus software, its the scan that's being attempted on my computer.

Username: Admin

Post Number: 8066
It appears to be an ad appearing through our Google Adwords/Adsense arrangement. I will investigated further and block that advertiser from appearing anywhere on eCoustics.

Silver Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 986
Thank you.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums