Digital audio book DLR, secured WMA & MP3 player sought

Username: Pinbyte

Post Number: 9
I am seeking advice on purchasing what is generally known as an MP3 player... but it must also play secured content such as secured WMA DRM and Overdrive Digital Library Reserve content which I believe is the same thing as WMA DRM.

After years of listening to my favorite music, and then talk radio filled with commercials or 'stale air', I started listening to audio books. Now, while I am in the car going to and from work, I enjoy an hour of a good novel on CD or cassette that I borrowed from the public library.

My library now offers downloadable e-audio books. How cool is that? No more swapping CD's and cassettes while driving. The whole book can be taken anywhere, and it is all FREE with the right equipment.

I already have the RF modulator, I just need the right 'MP3 player'.

Upon looking into this, I am not even sure if a player w/WMA playback can be assumed to play secure content (does anybody know the answer to this?). Microsoft has their 'PlayForSure' web site which lists some players guaranteed to play content secured by their method... but I question how complete that list is.

The $50 Sandisk Sansa M230 looked like the ideal choice until I found 2 reviews that said it would NOT begin playback at the same place it was when you turned it off.

The Samsung YP-MT6X (now $40) looked like a REALLY good choice since it can take an AA rechargable and will last for weeks... but one reviewer gave me the impression that you cannot simply rewind or fast forward within tracks. The player I buy must provide that ability.

If you are one who has any advice on this subject, can untangle the myriad of formats, or suggest a particular player suited to audio books, a post to this thread will be appreciated.

- Pinbyte
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us