Archive through September 06, 2005

Username: Madman91

United States

Post Number: 2
My ipod wont update my songs. When I plug in my ipod on the ipod screen it says do not disconnect and in the itunes top panel it tells me that it is updating songs so i wait, no songs are copied and that is that.

I've seen this question asked 2 or 3 times up but they have never been solved.

Thanks again
-living without my ipod is KILLING me!!!

United States

Post Number: 4
?

another thing .

itunes on other computers transfers songs onto this ipod..

i also tried formatting on a different computer and coming back here.. no good.. otherwise other computers work fine with my ipod

United States

Post Number: 5
have some news...

i formatted my ipod on two different computers and yet it still says my ipod is updated.. is this normal?

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 2825
Greg, have you tried the tech support on apple's website?
Try removing iTunes, but make sure that your music is backed up somewhere besides your iPod.
Restart the computer then re-install iTunes.
Re-start the computer again, then dock your iPod.

United States

Post Number: 6
i checked apples site and no information was there( that i could find )

and i also tried what reinstalling itunes with the steps u said.. but nothing doing..

Thanks for the anser any other ideas?

United States

Post Number: 7
any idea?? ANYONE??

madman91@gmail.com

im gonna try something

mailto:madman91@gmail.com

Gold Member

Post Number: 2846
A bug that I found too common on iPods, is that, you have to install the software first...do the updates, then the last ever step is to dock the iPod. If not, you get all this problems and the most common is the iPod not being recognized ans that annoying message "do not disconnect".

United States

Post Number: 8
ok ill try it.. but the updated firmware is already on the flash memory of the ipod... ill try and post when i see the results

United States

Post Number: 9
ok ill try it.. but the updated firmware is already on the flash memory of the ipod... ill try and post when i see the results

United States

Post Number: 10
no it didnt work..

Unregistered guest
I just had this problem but i don't know if it will solve your problem or not. My problem was that the files were in a .ogg extention. To see the extentions of yours, go to My Computer, then at the top bar go to Tools>Folder Options, click on the View tab, then uncheck the one that says "Hide extentions for known file types" and click OK. If they aren't mp3 then i would convert them... i used Easy CD Creator 5 to convert mine but if you don't have that you can probably find one at www.downloads.com. Hope this helped. If it didn't then good luck fixing it.

Bronze Member

United States

Post Number: 11
no sorry.. i dont use ogg.. i rip cd's in aac and download.. i mean ... lol nvm that .. but i have all aac(mp4) and mp3 files..im 100%sure of it

Gold Member

Post Number: 2850
Greg,
make sure that all the music that you are trying to download on the iPod is the same format. You may have trouble playing multiple formats in one unit. It should all be either aac or mp3.

go to itunes,edit, preferences...go to the "importing" tab. Go to "import using.." dialog. From here check your preferences. Then go to all your music files and see if they are all tagged or encoded in the all the same format. If not do so. your iPod is probably taking a little too much time trying to encode different formats and it is going on a loop.

Bronze Member

United States

Post Number: 12
ill try it .. but if it worked before why doesnt it work now?

ill try it and get back to u

Bronze Member

United States

Post Number: 13
actually.. before converting over 500 songs i thought about it.. well then why wouldnt the manual mode work?

i select one song from AAC format and try to copy it over.. then when that fails i try one MP3 song and it fails.. and like i said before.. it worked before so why not now?

Bronze Member

IL United States

Post Number: 14
anything? why doesnt it work even with manual mode?

Bronze Member

IL United States

Post Number: 15
anything at all?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2869
Have you tried resetting the iPod?

Bronze Member

IL United States

Post Number: 16
Yes, Several Times.
I don't know if i mentioned this but my ipod syncs on my friends computer with no problem.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2874
very odd indeed! Are you using the same cables to sync with your friend's computer?

Bronze Member

IL United States

Post Number: 17
yes same cables

Nicola
Unregistered guest
I have exactly the same problem on my 20Gb iPod.
I tried to upload songs with XPlay and it worked, but no way to upload songs with iTunes.

Bronze Member

IL United States

Post Number: 18
doesnt anyone know anything about this?AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

p.s. i can upload with xplay 2

Unregistered guest
I've been searching all over for help on this. I have Windows XP with SP2 and for me the answer was to disable encryption on the My Music folder in My Documents. Apparently the ipod service runs in the localsystem context and as a result does not have access to files encrypted by the user. The interface to iTunes runs in the user context, but the transfer happens in the system context and therefore fails. I hope this helps someone else out. I just spent 5 hours working on this.

davidgraphico
Unregistered guest
If you aren't using firewire or "high speed" usb, that is probably it.

jojobombiest
Unregistered guest
well if it hooks to ur friends computer fine then its not ur ipod, and if you use the same cables then its not the cables... so the only thing left is it must be your computer... maybe its a bad USB slot or something.

tristan
Unregistered guest
ephPod wont work for me...it stops after like 30% of uploading songs from ipod to computer....is there any other way to get songs from ipod to computer...i've tried about 3 other programs....

Bronze Member

IL United States

Post Number: 19
wtf is this.. this topic is mine get lost

Unregistered guest
Mines doin the exact same thing

Unregistered guest
it says 'do not disconnect' and it says in itunes that its updatin it and then either 1 or 2 songs goes on it n then it jus stops or nothing happens. It worked fine before too.U had any luck with it Greg? I've tried jus about everythin

Unregistered guest
hello my question is i bought a ipod shuffle 1 gig and when i go to install itunes at the end of the installation before it finishes it says "error connecting to service manager " and than i press ok and this comes up "failed to install gearaspiwdm service " something like that what does that mean?

thisistrue_me
Unregistered guest
yep i have the same problem. ipod sucks. i have 50 songs and it wont update them .. i cant upload them to the ipod. its a waste of 200 usd

BryceFowler
Unregistered guest
If you are on a PC running Windows XP, the problem may be file permissions. I experienced the exact same thing in iTunes where I ripped files into a folder and then logged into my wife's account. iTunes would not let me put the music onto the iPod. I logged back in as myself, right-clicked properties on the music folder, clicked on the security tab, clicked on the advanced button, selected myself and my wife in the Permissions window, clicked the Replace permission entries on all child objects checkbox, and clicked OK. That allowed my wife to access the files and transfer to her iPod.

Another thing to know is that the iPods do not like mpeg 1 level 2 files (even though the file extension may be mp3, the file may be mp2, depending on your ripper settings). You can convert them to mpeg level 3 files within iTunes. You cannot transfer level 2 files to the iPod. It will reject them.

Mattias
Unregistered guest
I think, you have to backup all you iPod music before updating your iPod. Try mayby xPort, you can download it at xtremsoft it's very easy to copy all the songs in a few clicks, the only bad think is that xPort insen't a freeware but I think it is the best iPod music backup tool.

Unregistered guest
Could it have anything to do with updating to service pack 2 for windows xp?? I think thats a requirement innit??

brittany
Unregistered guest
i know it has been said that ipod cannot upload songs from the ipod to a computer, but i was wondering if there is a way? if you can somehow uncover hidden folders on the ipod or something.

Anonymous

I hope greg never solves his problem because he was nasty to tristan. ha ha your IPOD sucks!
p.s. the Bears suck too.

gOiN_cRaZy
Unregistered guest
I can't gey my ipod to be formatted...
i tried many times but it still says that there was an error connecting with the ipod. It also tells me to disconnect and reconnect the ipod, but it still doesnt work...
plz help...
i'm
gOiN_cRaZy...muahz...

Mirabella
Unregistered guest
I voice record classes at the university I attend. Last semester I had a class that did not record correctly. There was an error and I could not sync the data from that night's class with the computer. Since then, the Ipod will not sync the latest recording. It will sync prior ones, but not the most recent. For instance, I recorded tonight's class, but it uploaded the damaged class from last semester (the last recording I had done). I recorded a short message, and tried again and it uploaded tonight's class, but not the short voice recording. Any thoughts on what the problem could be and/or how to fix it?

JOEy C
Unregistered guest
my computer recently crashed and i lost my library i was wondering if anyone knew how to upload from the ipod to a PC?

benkason
Unregistered guest
Found this thread. Worked on this problem exactly as Greg was describing. It was indeed the USB port on my computer. I hooked up the iPod to a different port and hey presto....

4256 songs are syncing away....
Cheers.

fleas
Unregistered guest
not really, the ports, because mine is doing the same as gregs, also, but it doesnt matter which port i have it in, whos computer ,etc.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3120
try this...go to your device manager and uninstall the usb that you are using. Uninstall iTunes and DO NOT DOCK THE IPOD at anytime! Re-start the computer and let it detect the usb and let it install automatically. RE-START.
RE-install the iTunes...DO NOT DOCK THE IPOD!
Update iTunes to the latest version.
RE-START(the re-starts are very important so do not skip this part)
Do all the necessary adjustments to the iTune program that you want.

and FINALLY...dock the iPod...if it still cannot be detected, change your cable or call the service center

Username: User203

Post Number: 1
OK i have the same problem! I plug it in but NOTHING happens! c'mon guys, please i gotta get sum help here. IS there any way to fix it or what?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3123
Look at the post above yours.

Username: User203

Where exactly do i go? When I go to IPOD in programs list it just doesnt read the ipod. It's like its not there.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3127
Do you have iTunes installed?
Did you install iTunes first before you connected the iPod? This step is crucial!

Dina
Unregistered guest
Hey! I'm so glad I found this site because I'm having the same problem and I haven't known what to do. I've been to the apple store twice now because my F$&#ing ipod mini is not recognized by iTunes as being plugged in--even though it's charging--and I have installed and reinstalled the ipod software and itunes four times, followed all the right steps, and no dice. I dropped $250 on this thing and I can't even use it. The Apple store guys tell me my ipod is fine. This sucks. It's not the usb port in my computer 'cause anything else I plug works fine. It's only my ipod. Does anyone think it might be the ipod usb CORD? Stupid question, probably, but I'm at my wit's end, and I'm going to genius bar again tomorrow and get something done because I sure as hell am not going to buy a whole new computer just so I can use my ipod.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3138
It could very well be the USB cord. If they won't help you just return the iPod and see if they will be more willing to help you figure out the problem.

Some of the problems encountered is when the iPod gets hooked up another computer and authorization is taken away form other computers. I'm suspecting that you have a returned iPod, unless of course you already exchanged yours.

Dina
Unregistered guest
I never considered that it might be a returned ipod...this one is my first, but I'd like to ask for an exchange tomorrow, hopefully they'll let me do it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3150
Yes you should...good luck:-)
Oh and before you proceed with any type of installation, PLEASE read the installation manual very carefully and follow the instructions to the letter.

COMEON!!!
Unregistered guest
Easy guys and girls. Same problem with uploading from mini Ipod to PC. I've discovered a program, PodUtil, but unsure cause I've got alot to lose, all my tunes. If anyone has back up CD's with there tunes and is up for testing it, instant legend! Let me know.

COMEON!!!
Unregistered guest
Easy guys and girls. Same problem with uploading from mini Ipod to PC. I've discovered a program, PodUtil, but unsure cause I've got alot to lose, all my tunes. If anyone has back up CD's with there tunes and is up for testing it, instant legend! Let me know.

COMEON!!!
Unregistered guest

tunaser7
Unregistered guest
Why does itunes not copy all of my songs to my IPOD? I get a message saying "some songs cannot be played on your device". All my music is formatted either AAC or MP3 (the latter with MusicMatch). It lists many songs that I have ripped successfully with an asterick in front of them -meaning it can't find them? yt thye are all in the same place. It also will not allow me to rip "Hotel California" - is there an issue with special copyguarded music? Frustrating to have songs that cannot be trasnferred and played on IPOD Photo.

tunaser7
Unregistered guest
Could Apple have made the screen on my $300.00+ IPOD 30GB Photo out of any softer material? Heck, if I just touch it with my finger it scratches...very crappy engineering...paying endlessly just for looks/styling NOT PERFORMANCE (locks up every other day and many others shave better sound quality and more useful easy to use features)) AND DURABILITY (impossible to keep it clean unless kept under glass -designed to need replacing). Just a hard drive and software - very poor value.

Hablerd
Unregistered guest
Got a question...I have a desktop that has itunes and all of my music on it. I just recently bought a laptop that I will be taking off to college and was wondering if there was any way I can get all of my music from my desktop to my laptop itunes so I can just get new songs and update my ipod from my laptop.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3199
check this one

http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/

Username: Pharmboy

I have a 40gig ipod and am transferring my own cd's and cassettes (as voice memos). I recently got a laptop and would like to tranfer using both computers. Is there a way to have both sync so I am current on my library no matter which computer I am using? (hope this is clear).

Gold Member

Post Number: 3207
Yes, but you have to authorize both computers to recognize your iPod. Read the manual on how to do this.
Ideally, you should only keep your iTunes files on 1 computer as this would lessen complications.

Unregistered guest
I have a problem of not all the songs transferring to my iPod, in iTunes it displays the same amount of songs on my iPod as in the Library, but if I go to my iPod, Music, Songs and hit play it does not display the same amount of songs as in the two other lists.

Unregistered guest
I had this blank disk and i put some songs on it and when i went to put it into my ipod it wouldn't work. it would show up on my library but when i unplug it and then plug it back in it won't update it! is this because it was a burned cd or is my ipod broken! And it's only the songs on the blank disk!!!!

Unregistered guest
a couple weeks ago i had to reinstall windows so it erased everthing, so i had to reinstall itunes. I put all the songs back on & when i went to update my ipod it wont do anything the screen just says "do not disconnect". If someone could help me please post something or send me an email at rustyparsons@comcast.net , Thanks.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3218
sequavia,
What compression method are you using?
You need to import the songs from your CD into the iTunes library. Use the import function of iTunes.

ironmace
Unregistered guest
Reset your ipod. Hold menu and select until you see apple symbol

Username: Butt_face

my ipod connects and charges but when i go to update using iTunes it says there is no ipod connected what can i do?

Clarky!
Unregistered guest
I had this problem where the files said they were mp3 but would not copy over to my ipod which gave me the sh*ts.
So an easy way out is to open the files in Quicktime Player and export them as an Aiff file with no compression or highest quality and then let itunes convert it over to mp3 for you. THIS WORKS!!! YAY!
Any problems, drop me an email - clarkysdonga@hotmail.com.

Anonymous

Just got my Apple Ipod. I downloaded an album to library on pc. How do i download it to my ipod? please help its driving me mad!
and does anyone know any good sites to download up to date music.
thanks

not a dick
Unregistered guest
Greg - You should think twice before you are nasty to another person posting. I know the answer to your problems, but I'm not telling you, because you were a DICK. This forum is to help ALL people having problems, not just you, you selfish wanker.

Unregistered guest
My i tunes have (!) beside them meaning that more then half of the files have been erased but I didn't erase any of them can you tell me why this has happened is it because I used lime wire to download them is there any way to prevent this for the future?

consulatsunset
Unregistered guest
hey all- i just got an ipod mini today i'm having this problem (may be the same as described above?):
itunes is saying that it's uploading a bunch of mp3's to the ipod but when i look for them on the ipod, it's still empty! any ideas? thanks!

Unregistered guest
hi am having similar problems:
add all my tunes to the library (some do not copy through even though they are valid mp3 files-but that isn't the major problem...)when i go to transfer the files onto my mini-ipod the option isn't there:all i can do is "update ipod"which it takes seconds to do and none of my tunes download!
i've solved the problem once by uninstalling itunes and re-installing it, but each time i do not use itunes for couple of days it happens again...WHATs GOING ON???

jamal
Unregistered guest
Itunes wont transfer music onto my ipod mini can anyone help me please

Anonymous

WHOEVER SOLVE THIS PROBLEM ILL SUCK YO DIIIICK

Username: Danielag07

Bronx, NY USA

A quick question for all iPod experts:

I have over 700 songs on my iPod, on iTunes -- through LimeWire.

I recently had to reboot my computer, which not only took off my iTunes, but LimeWire, as well.

So now I re-installed my iTunes & LimeWire onto my laptop, which I just bought.

My 700+ songs are still on my iPod -- but aren't on any of my music programs. A friend of mine told me not to connect my iPod to iTunes, saying i'll lose all my songs.

Is there any way I can transfer my songs from my iPod to iTunes, or should I just start re-downloading for the next hundred years?

Thanks for listening!

Dre77
Unregistered guest
I was searching for a way to load songs from iPod onto the PC when I came across this forum. I read all the posts about iTunes not downloading properly. I will relay my experiences.

When I first got the iPod (mini 2 gig) about 4 months ago, I didn't start out right with it. The set up instructions contradict with the program as it is setting up. The instructions said do not connect iPod until the program is loaded. During the set up though, there is a box that pops up and asks do you want to connect to see if it is formatted. I clicked no. So when I tried to download songs I was getting an error message "not formatted." Unfortunately I did not know what that meant and I formatted the iPod through windows. Two days later I realized what was going on and I let the program format the device.

The device did not work as smoothly as I thought it should It took almost an hour to download the music (mp3s). It worked for a few times then it started to recharge before downloading. I was upset that there was no way to control that.

Eventually the pc stopped recognizing the device totally. I drained the batteries and hooked it back up and then it worked for a day or two and then went back to not recognizing the device.

I know my way around the pc and had tried different things but still no luck. I have an old pc from 1999. I had installed a usb 2 card and I had a hub as well. When all failed I decided to try the USB 1.1 slot and presto it worked like a charm. Downloads start first. I downloaded a whole cd in about 2 mins as opposed to a half hour before. I am in heaven.

The instructions state that you need a usb2 port but they obviously misstated that. So taking that into account, if you are having problems, take matters in your own hands. It couldn't hurt. You are also allowed the one phone call for tech help. After trying everything, I would call. I haven't called myself yet because I am saving it for a total emergency.

For those having trouble I would delete the program totally. For those who know their way around the pc, after the standard delete, go into program files and delete the itunes folder as well. That stays behind with settings even after you delete the program. Make sure you have your music somewhere else before deleting.

I have checked on the web about uploading from the iPod to the pc. I saw the programs mentioned here. I also saw that you can just connect the iPod and find the drive and copy the folders over. I am going to try that first before buying a utility. I want to copy songs onto my pc at work. Normally I have to burn cds. I figure there is no need to do this if I can just transfer files.

Does anyone know if there is an ac adapter for sale for the iPod where you can plug it in and let it run on electricity instead of battery power? I have seen extended battery packs but not an ac adapter. This would solve my problem as well.

AppleGenerator
Unregistered guest
ok this is what your do: When u connect your ipod to a different comuter it says tht stuff about it bein formated on a different computer DONT CLIK YES! go to ur ipod and hilite everything thts on it the drag it onto your desktop then clik yes and there wont be any songs in itunes so u clik file+add folder to itunes and find the file tht had your music

AppleGenerator
Unregistered guest
ok this is what your do: When u connect your ipod to a different comuter it says tht stuff about it bein formated on a different computer DONT CLIK YES! go to ur ipod and hilite everything thts on it the drag it onto your desktop then clik yes and there wont be any songs in itunes so u clik file+add folder to itunes and find the file tht had your music

Rome
Unregistered guest
all of my songs have (!) next to them. now what?

fhgi
Unregistered guest
Come on, people, get a REAL mp3 player... iPod is useless, expensive and crappy... Get Archos! You won't have any problems

Unregistered guest
Ok... ON TOPIC! I had this problem the one from the original THREAD!

I too have tried everything else on this page.

I have switched my firewire port and it does seem to be working. I will update you if there are any changes... Other wise I'm off to buy a new 60 gb iPod at the store!

Unregistered guest
I had the problem where my iPod would say its being updated, but then the songs wern't actualy put onto the iPod, but iTunes showed that they where. Heres how I fixed it.

I switched from using my Firewire cable to my USB (I'm not SURE if this made ANY difference at all, but this is what I did, you can try this with just Firewire. And if it doesn't work try your USB.), closed iTunes (make sure its not trying to update your iPod or anything). Then go to Start > Run, and type in "chkdsk /f E:\" (without quotes. Replace E:\ with whatever your iPod is listed as). This command will search for errors on your iPod (works for any kind of storage drive. Including normal HD), and fixes them. After I did this, I was able to update my songs, and they would all be there on my iPod.

Hope this helps!!

toadfrog
Unregistered guest
This helped me. I updated itunes, then I went to my ipod in itunes and right clicked and went to i pod options. There was a bullet that needed to be checked "Automatically update all songs and playlists." After I did that it updated and moved all my songs over to the ipod. Hope this helps.

vexome
Unregistered guest
hi i have a problem with my ipod and nothing seems to work..when i plug my ipod into my computer it isnt recognized at all (not by explorer, itunes, ipod updater) but it charges. so i decided to try another ipod on my computer to see what happens...and it only charges..so i decided try anoter computer...same thing...but the other ipod worked fine. any ideas?

Anonymous

There is a way to take songs from ipod on 2 your computer. Plug in your ipod and go to My Computer. Click on the ipod and you'll see lots of wierd numbered folders, which if you open, you'll see all of your songs in random order. Not like i've ever done it of course... errr... no course not.... i just heard about... yes. But you right click on a song and click copy. Then go to iTunes and click paste in your library it should just appear like that. PROBLEM SOLVED

tiffany b123
Unregistered guest
i just got a ipod from a friend and it comes with no software. i brought the usb cord form best buy which works. my problem is how do i download music from lime wire to my labtop? i transfered it to windows media player then loaded it on to the ipod all songs showed complete but when i turned my ipod on there was no music on there can some one help me please. i dont have itunes nore do i want to pay for it. thanks for ur help

Anonymous

My ipod has a problem where it will not charge, but if it is plugged into a computer the music is still there. The problem is the computer that the music was stored on completely crashed. My wife's computer does not have iTunes installed on it. I read the above post and am wondering if I need to install iTunes before I try to upload the songs to the computer.

Unregistered guest
Hey Greg,

Sorry I can't help you with your problem, but would you mind letting me know how you formatted you iPod to two different computers? I've tried but haven't been able to.

Thanks!

haley
Unregistered guest
i have limewire in my itunes but not my library.. how do you get the songs into the library

hans015ddsa
Unregistered guest
Changing back to firewire solved my/this problem

Anonymous

I got an mini ipod 2 days a go!!! and i am trying to download music from the site - limewire, on to my ipod!! but it says it downloading then the ipod says do not disconnect for bout 10 hrs - surley it can't be still downloading!!!!!!!
PLEASE HELP!!

Anonymous

I got an mini ipod 2 days a go!!! and i am trying to download music from the site - limewire, on to my ipod!! but it says it downloading then the ipod says do not disconnect for bout 10 hrs - surley it can't be still downloading!!!!!!!
PLEASE HELP!!

Gold Member

Post Number: 3604
Are the pirated songs in your iTunes library?

Unregistered guest
HI I Dont know how to transfer my songs off of my limewire library to my ipod or itunes. Does anyone know how or use limwire. Please help

Unregistered guest
HI I Dont know how to transfer my songs off of my limewire library to my ipod or itunes. Does anyone know how or use limewire. Please help

Unregistered guest
PLease Help! I can't get my music fom Limewire to my ipod . I dont know how to transfer them to itunes or my ipod . i already have them downloaded to lImewire please help

Gold Member

Post Number: 3618
Go to your limewire library.
Select all the pirated music until they are all highlighted.
Right click on all the selections.

choose "open program with"
From there you should see "iTunes" or "choose program.
Select iTunes. This will automatically transfer all these files to your iTunes library.

These pirated music can now be transferred to your iPod.

Unregistered guest
how do i transfer music from my ipod to my new laptop??

Unregistered guest
I am having a very simular experence. When I plug it in sometimes the ipod shuffle is not recognized other times it is. Sometmes itunes sees it, some times it doesn't, some times it will up date the somgs that I want it to latly it won't. Last week it decided to wipe the whole thing clean & not put anything else back on it. I end up pluging my shuffle in & out until it decides to work again. I read in a post earlier about needing to disable encryption on the My Music folder in My Documents- how do I do this. I am hoping this will fix the problem although it had been working fine maybe 2 months ago with no problems.

Username: Neil88

Can someone please help me!! My ipod won't import any songs that i download from limewire and i can't work out why!! if anyone knows how to do this then please help cos it's twisting my melon!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us