Samsung YH-925 20 GB MP3 Player

Bronze Member
Username: Bobha

Post Number: 28
Hi guys,
this one from Fixya.com

http://www.fixya.com/problems-solutions/t103263,p209691/Samsung-YH-925-20-GB-MP3 -Player.aspx

Any ideas?

SAMSUNG YH920GS- Error Message- device cannot initialize hdd

When turned on the player simply displays this error message- device cannot initialize hdd

Username: Spongebag7

Post Number: 9
intialize hdd?

either the hard drive is corrupt or your firmware got flashed somehow. you'll probably have to format and re-install.

Username: Alex4o

Post Number: 1
The same thing happened to my YH-925, not only once! I can help you to repair it, for sure. Unless you haven`t dropped the thing so badly that the hdd got broken.
Please write to me alexander_damyanov@abv.bg if you still have the problem and I`ll explain how to fix it.

Post Number: 2
First of all, of course, try to repair it by using the recovery utility softwear (you know, pressing >> Forward while connecting the switched off device to the usb). If it doesn`t help, read further---> The problem is that simply an error in the softwear of the device occures. Normally, this could be fixed by restarting, by pressing the RESTART button on the back. BUT, by pressing it, you don`t actually restart the hole device.Certain commands are still running in the processor and this cannot be canceled until there is the slightest electricity in the battery left. That`s why I open the player, safely and very carefully remove the Hard Disc, than reattach the battery, so that no electricity is left. Then, connect the battery again, place the HDD again on its place (carefully please), watch out that it connects to the motherboard, and close the hole player.
By switching it on, there should occur no problems. But I recommend using the RECOVERY UTILITY softwear for repairing the hard drive, as well as rebuilding the library and probably formating (hear you will lose all data). Note that it is best to have the song titles written on latein (english), cyrillic for example is not recommended. Good Luck

Username: Dachoste

recently i had a freeze on my yh-925. when i restarted, the library was blank. so i reconnected to the computer to reload, and it shows the files still on the device, but i can't access it...

tried formatting it with the recovery utility, but nothing happens...?? what next?

anyone else have this problem?

Post Number: 3
You don`t find the tracks in the library, but do you see their number in SETTINGS>ABOUT? Or if no tracks, does it at least show a difference between CAPACITY and AVAILABLE. It may be that the tracks are still o n the device, but cannot be located by the library. That happened to me twice. o nce I used LIBRARY REBUUILDING and DEVICE REPAIR and it was ok, but the second time it didn`t worked, so I had to delete everything. (awful!). Foramtting the disk means that you loose all data o n the player, you know. And if you have your track lists still o n NAPSTER (the download programm, if you use that o ne) that doesn`t mean that you have them o n the device.

If you don`t want to loose the music you have o n the player, but the problem still persists, you may try to disconnect the battery, as I advised for HDD Initialize Error, but if I were you, I wouldn`t take the risk.

good luck

Username: Dachoste

the tracks were still on the device but not showing up in the library- for example, the playlist will show that "track02 has been removed" but when i open up WMP, it shows that the track is on the device (and i can play it from it)

i winded up taking the advice of one of the posts and restarted with >>, and it seemed to kick in to an older operating system,not the MTP that it was upgraded. Then there was some data transfer, and it rebuilt the library... Still have to clean it up and readd tracks, but the original problem is solved...

thanks. thought i was being different when i got the samsung, now i know, should have gotten the ipod.

Username: Redrocket

This is the long version for detailed step by step.

WOW I FIXED IT. After calling 1800samsung, they told me that the "unable to initialize HDD" was unfixxable and that I could trade in my YH-925 for a yp-z5 (4GB). I thought that was better than nothing considering that I had bought my YH-925GS second hand for $160. yp-z5 goes for about 200+. Ok so the rep asks for my serial number on the player. For some reason I had taken the serial number sticker off as it was peeling off anyhow. They couldn't trade in my player without a serial number. Stuck with a $160 Yh-925, I felt desperate for anykind of fix. I opened that player up, with a mini screwdriver. The first thing u see is the back of the HDD. if you lift that up, on the other side u will see a gold sheet. You will also notice where part of that gold sheet plugs into the "motherboard" or board with lots of circuits. Just blend it enough where u can place your finger between the plug and HDD. Plug in where it should go according to the "motherboard" and u will feel it snap or snugg in. Without replacing the back cover, turn the mp3 player on. That !@#$% should be working now =].

Here's the quick version on how to fix "unable to initialize HDD" error. (use at own risk, care, etc...). I didn't take any grounding precautions but u may want to. I believe the main problem to this error is that the plug to the HDD to the motherboard has loosened or unplugged.

1. Make sure player is off.
2. Take off back cover. 4 tiny screws.
3. Take out the HDD, the big rectangle thing. The back of it should be silver.
4. When you take it out, the front should have a "gold sheet" attached to it.
5. At the lower corner the "gold sheet" is a cut out part. This "cut out" part is where the HDD connects to the "mother board".
6. Bend that piece ever so slightly where u can place your finger between it and the HDD.
7. You will then plug in that "male" part to the "female" part on the mother board.
8. when you feel it snug or snap, your MP3 should work now.
9. turn on the mp3 player to make sure it loads.
10. if it does, then you have fixed your "problem"
11. reassemble player accordingly. Leave a comment if this work'd out for you. =]

Post Number: 3
Okay, I forgot to say something else.
I have fixed this "unable to inialize problem" before without doing the steps mentioned above.
As stated more above, use the recovery tool software. Only after you have used the recovery tools and it still gives that same message should u use the steps above, unless u rather trade in for the yp-z5. which will take 2 weeks if u are willing to pay for your own shipping.

But this time around, I had felt I had done everything I did the first time i fixed the problem. I guess all those times dropping the mp3 player in the car loosen'd up the plug inside.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us