Best Sound Quality Tips

Username: Sekupa

Gulf breeze, Fl Usa

Post Number: 1
Just got my first IPod. I already have an extensive collection of MP3 files on my home computers hard drive. I have moved a few songs to my itunes library. However, before I move the entire collection, I would need some tips on maintaining the highest sound quality.

Will sound leveling degrade the sound? Which format AAC, MP3 etc. gives the best result when the song is played from an ipod?

Also, I will purchase a Dock for my home system. Is any dock known for its higher fidelity? Or is the sound quality simply a function of the quality of cables used to hook it up?

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 962
apple lossless will give you give you the best fidelity, but the shuffle will not let you use this mode.

The Klipsch iFi is the best dock available. The sound quality is comparable to a good home system. They use the RSX (reference) 3 satelite speakers, and have a good quality 8 inch subwoofer. You can get them re-built for 179 (vs roughlly 400 for brand new) here:

http://www.klipsch.com/store/list.aspx?dept=8

they are good enough to let you know how bad low bitrate (128) mp3's are, so I hop3 yours are over 300. This is the best docking station available.

Username: Spongebag7

Post Number: 7
here's some pretty good sound quality tips

1. adjust your bit rate -- most causal listeners should be fine at 128, it doesn't lose a whole lot (to them anyway), and should be ok. if you're a more heavy audiophile looking for much better quality, try lossless. both itunes and windows media player have some lossless feature, usually it's somewhere between 400 and 500. of course it's not mathematically lossless (CDs have a large, 1411...amazing, huh?) if your just starting always use the bigger quality and move downward, you can make songs smaller sizes but you can't make them back to normal CD quality.

2. get better headphones -- usually, if your a causal listener, you should probably go for some mdrex51's (around $40) from sony. if you a more heavier listener, try shures ($99+) or some grados. they cost a lot now, but once you hear them, you'll never go back.

3. equalizer-- never use the bass boost, especially on ipods, they sound terrible. if you have SRS Wow, you should definitely turn that on, that will get the most out of your bitrate. if you can make a custom eq, do so. the problem is that the presets are terrible, either they aren't good enough or they're overpowered.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 2905
It's a mixed bag of nuts. Do what you think sounds best. I prefer .mp3 at 192 kb/s myself-good quality, versatility, and size.

I still maintain that the iPod docks are trash and no subsitute for just hooking up your iPod to your home receiver via headphone to RCA cable.

Username: Spongebag7

Post Number: 8
docks are usually a waste of money and time if you want good sound, simply a cheap pair of $10 speakers would do better.

cassette adapters work, but still sound only ok. you could always buy an inexpensive cassette player (like 5 bucks at walmart) and put the cassette adapter (around $10-$15) in it and it should work just fine, and then just hook up the speakers to the cassette player. if your using it for a stereo system or car with a cassette player, just simply pop it in. it's the cheapest way to go, but the sound isn't all that fantasic.

fm transmitters are pretty much terrible because it's near impossible to get any sound without radio reception problems. even while driving they don't work very well, but the thing is...when they do work they sound FANTASIC.

anywhere such as 128, 160, or 192 should be fine for most unless your looking for superior, absoultely nothing missed sound.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us