Archive through July 02, 2005

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 3103
caroline,
yes if you delete some songs the space is reclaimed.

schaps,
if you are on automatic update, you have to uncheck the songs that you don't want on your iPod on the library in iTunes.

Bakerbeast
Are you saying that the iPod is not being detected by the iTunes?

Unregistered guest
Dear Berny,

My friend's ipod (which i borrowed)started clicking and the file & exclimation mark came up half an hour after i charged a regular ipod with a mini ipod charger.

Every time i push the okay button, it starts clicking and the file comes up.

I'm really worried esspecially cuz the ipod isn't mine!! PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

My email addy is hanzypoo_999@hotmail.com

thanx, me

Gold Member

Post Number: 3107
Not your fault, the iPod needs to be re-formatted. It was bound to happen specially if the battery was allowed to run low. Was it dropped?

Unregistered guest
No it wasn't dropped, i charged it (mini charger) and 30 minutes after, i was listening to it, changed songs and it went like that.
So what should i do??!!
Ps. thanx 4 writing back so fast!

Unregistered guest
how do i re-format the ipod? can u suggest a site something. thanx, me (again)

Gold Member

Post Number: 3108
Wasit charged with an iPod charger or one of those generic ones? if you charged it with a different adapter not suited for the iPod, you may have caused a voltage spike on the iPod. It could also be caused by a file that is corrupted and sometimes pirated songs do that to iPods or any other computer for that matter.

It is hard to make a determination if the variables are unknown. Some of the things I have know to see the exclamtion mark on the iPod are:

wrong charger or voltage spikes

corrupted files that were introduced to the iPod even through iTunes. Not everyone listens to the songs before putting it on the iPod, BIG MISTAKE! This happens more often than people think.

ipod was dropped

Either way, the iPod needs to be reformatted using a computer. Sorry about your dilemma.

Austin/~#
Unregistered guest
plz plz plz can u hlp me, ive borrowed ma mates ipod 2 put sum songs on 4 him n it sed don't disconnect after i switched ma comp off then he tld me to hold da menu and select button. now it comes up with the apple sign then shows the file sign with an exclamation mark. evan tho the battery is fully charged it does not swith on. What do i do?!? plz help. thnx

Austin/~#
Unregistered guest
plz plz plz can u hlp me, ive borrowed ma mates ipod 2 put sum songs on 4 him n it sed don't disconnect after i switched ma comp off then he tld me to hold da menu and select button. now it comes up with the apple sign then shows the file sign with an exclamation mark. evan tho the battery is fully charged it does not swith on. What do i do?!? plz help. Also it doen't go into disk mode. thnx

Anonymous

if i already hav songs in my ipod w/c i got from library in itunes, then i delete this songs in library after i eject my ipod, would the songs already in my ipod be erased if i plug it again?

roxybaby
Unregistered guest
ok berny if you feel like helping someone else....I have the problem where my ipod keeps restarting and then there is the picture of the folder with the exclamation mark. I know i should restore it, but whenever i try to, the computer says that the ipod is not connected. I don't know what to do!!! If u do it would be greatly appreciated! If not, thnx 4 taking the time to read this!!! amanda

Unregistered guest
OMG!!! HELP ME!!!! okay, i got my ipod on friday and it worked fine that day...later on, i went to put new songs on it and now when i open itunes, it says that my ipod isnt connected when it is!!!! i dont know if its because the usb cord is in the wrong spot or what because i have tried every outlet that will let me and NOTHING works...can someone please help me??? my email address is WreckMyTuesday08@aol.com

Gold Member

Post Number: 3114
go here
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61003

roxybaby
Unregistered guest
i tried everything on that page. my battery is charged, i know i have all of the system requirements because it worked before, i also tried resetting it but it just starts the cycle over again.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3116
roxy,
Is the iPod being detected at all? How are you connected to the PC?

roxybaby
Unregistered guest
i am connected through a usb. and no the ipod is not detected in itunes, my computer or anywhere.

roxybaby
Unregistered guest
i am connected through a usb. and no the ipod is not detected in itunes, my computer or anywhere.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3122
What is your OS? I know I am asking a lot of questions but it is necessary so we can get to the root of your problem.

roxybaby
Unregistered guest
what is an OS? sorry...

Gold Member

Post Number: 3124
operating system
Windows XP, windows 95, windows 98, windows me, etc

roxybaby
Unregistered guest
o ok i have windows xp

roxybaby
Unregistered guest
o ok i have windows xp

roxybaby
Unregistered guest
o ok i have windows XP

Gold Member

Post Number: 3125
OK
Do this then...
Remove the iTunes Program and do not connect the iPod at anytime
go to START
Click on Control Panel
Click on Performance and Maintenance
Click on System
Go to the tab that says Hardware and click on Device manager and click on the Universal Serial Bus Controllers
Double click and go to the tab "Drivers"
Click Uninstall
Now re-start the computer (very important)
Let it go through the re-install process ( the USB you un-installed will re-install itself
Re-start again
Now install iTunes (NO IPOD CONNECTIONS YET)
Do all the updates for iTunes and once this is done RESTART
Verify that iTunes is installed
Now dock your FULLY CHARGED iPod
Go from there.

Anonymous

I just bought a 20G iPod. I made the mistake of plugging in my iPod before installing the software with the disc. So I unplugged the iPod and when I installed the software, it said to plug in the iPod to see if it needed to be formatted, which it indicated it did after I plugged in the iPod. From there, the installation process just froze, it kept rebooting the iPod forever (over 5 minutes) so I finally shut down the installation process and now all my iPod does is continually restore/reset itself (the Apple icon remains on and I can hear it resetting itself over and over). I tried to reinstall the software, but it won't recognize the iPod while it still has the Apple icon on it. I turned it to Disk Mode, the software recognizes it but then the whole rebooting process either fails (disk failure message) or it keeps rebooting forever. I can't get the iPod to restore or to reformat through the software. How do I reformat with the computer to make sure that I'm using a proper formatting program? I have Windows XP. Thanks.

roxybaby
Unregistered guest
hi berny
when i go to the universal serial bus controllers, there is more than one. the list is:
~Intel(r) 82801BA/BAM Universsal Host Controller-2442
~then another one with 2444 at the end
~USB Composite Device
~USB Mass storage device
~USB Printing support
~USB Root Hub
~USB Root Hub
each one of these has its own driver tab...which one am i supposed to uninstall?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3132
both USB root hubs.

roxybaby
Unregistered guest
are they supposed to re-install themselves? if they are then something is wrong because nothing is happening after i restart the computer.

Phil joseph
Unregistered guest
My problem is that I got an Ipod from a friend but when I turned it on, all I get is a battery signal with the exclamation point. I think you addressed this earlier, but could you do it again. I have tried to charge it for over an hour. Any other suggestions. Thanks

Gold Member

Post Number: 3133
roxybaby
yes they are supposed to re-install themselves. After you re-start go back to the device manager and check if they are there. You usually won't see the computer re-installing the usb hubs.

Phil joseph,
you need to start a new thread, this problem has not been resolved yet. chances are you got a bum iPod.

roxybaby
Unregistered guest
ok they are there thanks.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3139
did it get solved?

roxybaby
Unregistered guest
ok i have itunes version 2.1 that came with my ipod...what updates do i have to make to it? i had downloaded newer versions, but they are gone now. When i try to download version 4.8, it just stops half way in the middle...i don't know what i have to do.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3148
If it stops halfway in the middle you probably have a software issue. Do not upgrade and just use the regular iTunes that came with your iPod and if it works fine, you do not need to do any upgrade to avoid any problems.

roxybaby
Unregistered guest
it won't let me open it. there is a message that says that the itunes library can't be opened because it was created by a newer version. this happens whenever i try to open itunes.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3153
Did you uninstall iTunes at all?

roxybaby
Unregistered guest
yeah I uninstalled itunes, but then i re-installed it and now it won't even let me open it.

roxybaby
Unregistered guest
yeah I uninstalled itunes, but then i re-installed it and now it won't even let me open it.

roxybaby
Unregistered guest

Gold Member

Post Number: 3154
Not good...
one last resort
Do you remember the last time your iPod was working with your PC?

roxybaby
Unregistered guest
yeah it was about 2 weeks before the problem started which was about a week ago. so in total about three weeks ago.

roxybaby
Unregistered guest
just in case it helps, the message that I get when I try to open itunes is: The itunes Music Library file cannot be read because it was created by a newer version of itunes.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3157
try this...remove iTunes, back up all your music to a disc by using a different music program. Do not forget to re-start.
Go to the apple webstie and download their latest iTunes software and do not install the older version at all.

Unregistered guest
i have a problem with the ipod mini software.
It doesnt let me finish installing it, it stops in the middle of installing itunes and says error 1402, then after pressing ignore it says error 1406 and ignoring that it says error 1603
what shoud i do plz help i have no other way to put music in my new ipod

Unregistered guest
It doesnt let me finish installing it, it stops in the middle of installing itunes and says error 1402, then after pressing ignore it says error 1406 and ignoring that it says error 1603

Unregistered guest

roxybaby
Unregistered guest
hi berny
ok so yesterday i tried downloading the 4.8 version of itunes again. it stopped at 80% complete. I tried running it but it says there is an error. i figured that was because it wasn't finished, but now when i try to download it, it says it is finished and the error is still there.
However, i got the itunes 2.1 version to work fine. i found a folder called itunes music library (which is what the error said itunes couldn't open before because it was created by a newer version). I deleted it and re-installed itunes 2.1 and now it works.
What should I do next? (sorry this is so long!)

Gold Member

Post Number: 3164
So you have a working version of iTunes? That is a good sign.
Do not plug in you iPod as of yet. Make sure that it is fully charged.

Tinker with your iTunes and replenish your music library. Do all the preferences etc.

Andy_J
Unregistered guest
I have just read through this thread trying to find help on a problem with my ipod mini, and found my question asked, but i can see no answer. Apologies if I am having a stupid day, and missed it ;)

My problem is similar to Xaviers, when I plug in my ipod (any PC, using itunes / not using itunes) i get a message on the LCD saying "dont disconnect" (as usual) then this switches to "ok to disconnect" after about 1 second. I have seen a few people on the net with this problem now, but no word on a potential fix.

Windows doesnt even detect the ipod, i dont even get the familiar usb beep, so something is really rather wrong. I have also tried resetting the ipod a number of times, no change.

Any help much appreciated, cheers.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3165
uninstall the usb driver from your device manager tab. Re-start and wait for it to re-install (Windows XP). After it re-installs on its own, re-start the computer and then re-dock your iPod and not any time before that.

roxybaby
Unregistered guest
ok i tried downloading the 4.8 version again and this time instead of clicking save, i clicked run and it worked, so now i have all the updates that i need.
should i plug in the ipod?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3166
sounds good, make sure that the iPos is properly charged and then go ahead and plug it in and let me know how it went.
good luck:-)

roxybaby
Unregistered guest
i don't think it worked, nothing happened.:-( Any suggestions? If not thnx for trying.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3167
Was the iPod off when you docked it?
Do not dock it when it is turned on.
After docking turn it on and see what happens.

Try uninstalling the USB drivers again and don't forget the re-start.

Andy_J
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the reply Berny, i dont think this will help as i have tested the ipod on 2 seperate machines, and the problem is replecated on both.
I know my USB ports are functioning correctly (i do tech support, and a part of that is usb modems so i have some experience with broken usb ;))

Gold Member

Post Number: 3168
check if your computer is authorized to dock with iPod.

Unregistered guest
Bernie,

My daughters mini ipod works fine until today, it fell on the floor, but it has a real hard rubber cover. it seems like its stalled or something, it has the song name,artist and everything like it was playing, but it won't trspond to anything, or play, If i connect it to my pc,it still doesn;t do anything or charge, and itunes won't recognize it, it just is like on pause or something. I hope you can help.

roxybaby
Unregistered guest
ummm...my ipod doesn't turn off...the buttons don't really respond..the only thing i can do is restart it and sometimes i can put it into disk mode

Gold Member

Post Number: 3171
Well Roxybaby,
I think we have done all that we can. i think you need to start looking seriously into sending the unit back to apple for repair. I am really at a loss. I'm really sorry:-(

Unregistered guest
Hey Berny,
I just wrote you a message,
the battery finally dies and I reset it, but it gave me an apple logo, then an exclamation point with an unhappy ipod standing. I plugged it in the pc to charge, looks like its charging, it has an icon with a battery and a flash next to it, any suggestions?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3172
jamesseda,
An unhappy iPod?
Are you referring to the icon that looks like an unhappy face? The dreaded DEAD APPLE icon!

Unfortunately that icon means that the iPod is in need of a serious service from the factory.

Understand that the iPod is a small hardrive with moving parts that are very delicate and no amount of rubber cover is going to protect it.

With that said, there is nothing you can do to fix a dead ipod. You could try and I'll be glad to hear how you do it. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Unregistered guest
BERNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Holy Crap!!! Guess what?! After shedding a little tear over my daughters mini ipod, I got it for her birthday."12yr" I got pissed and decided to give it a few "light" taps against my desk, and to my surprise, "Its ALIVE"!!! Its working again and charging and my pc is updating in itunes!!! Well, since you wanted to hear how I did it, there you go, a little un-orthodox, but hey, sometimes a little smack WILL bring it back from the dead. My guess is that the hard drive was maybe a little stuck or tilted?? who knows, LOL bye!

Gold Member

Post Number: 3173
emergency repair procedure #1, smack it!:-)
I wonder how many folks are willing to do that?
Well, that's another solution to the dead iPod icon.
Now let's see if people actually read this thread for solutions to their iPod problems.

roxybaby
Unregistered guest
hi berny,
well i took my ipod to the apple store today and they said the hard drive probably needs to be replaced. they said it would cost about $100 because my warranty was already expired. Thanks for all your help, but it looks like i'm just gonna have to pay for it to get fixed. Thanks for taking all that time to try and fix it!

roxybaby
Unregistered guest
hi berny,
well i took my ipod to the apple store today and they said the hard drive probably needs to be replaced. they said it would cost about $100 because my warranty was already expired. Thanks for all your help, but it looks like i'm just gonna have to pay for it to get fixed. Thanks for taking all that time to try and fix it!

roxybaby
Unregistered guest
hi berny,

roxybaby
Unregistered guest
hi berny,

Steffinz
Unregistered guest
for some reason, i got an error up saying some files were unreadable and corrupt .. yet my ipod continued to laod them on! now its saying my ipod is full, but the library says i have a GB left :@ !how do i delete all of the songs off my ipod? iv tried deleting all the songs from my librar and plugging the ipod in (this worked before when i had a new computer, it wiped my whole ipod)

Unregistered guest
Hi there, dont know if you can help, I have some sort of hardware problem with my Ipod 3G 30gig. It *was* working however I didnt at the time have a charger so I removed the battery and charged it manualy, it worked so the second time I left it IN the Ipod while charging it up. Stupid I know... anyway, now it wont power on at all, no signs of life and no response from the computer or charger when plugged in, no unhappy apple signs... NOTHING.

I was looking on Ebay and there's an iPod ebook which boasts how to "reset PMU" which i'm assuming is the PMU chip, which incidentaly appears to be getting warm.

Can ANYONE help with this problem? i'm tearing my hair out now since it was my own stupid fault that it died. Next resort is a new Logic board, £75 from a company down south. is it worth it?....

Cheers...

Jamie Lee G
Unregistered guest
Okay, so I just got my ipod yesterday. I loaded songs on it, all that good stuff. So today I go and plug it in, and it says my ipod isn't connected to my computer. But it is. What do I do? Please help.
My e-mail is
Saturday.Mornings@gmail.com

Anonymous

AAAARGHHH omg im so stupid!! I was reinstalling my ipod (after a virus attacked my pc) BUT....I had my ipod connected when I was installing the software, soooo now my pc won't detect it and the is just a apple symbol on the screen and keeps clicking as if it's resetting itself, which isn't good. I had a read through all these posts but i couldnt find anyone else who had done something as stupid as me. I'm hoping someone will put there hand up and have a miracle solution before I take it into the shop. Pleeeeease guys, I cannot be the only one!!!!!!!!

Unregistered guest
welll.... is there anyway u can install itunes onto a windows 98 ?

Unregistered guest
my mother recently unplugged my ipod when it said do not disconnect.. and now my icon does not show up on the computer. and when i plug it in to charge it says do not disconnect the whole time it charges. but it does not charge. and now it seems to be frozen in a charge... can you please help me?

Lillie
Unregistered guest
Hey, I don't know if this is the right place to look, but I've been having trouble with my new iPod mini (it's pink :-P I absolutely love it) anyway, when it is plugged into a computer, even when it is fully charged, it says "do not disconnect" no matter what. Is this a serious problem? In general, it just irritates me and I wish it would go away. Is there any thing I can do to make this stop?

Kornmonkey
Unregistered guest
Help!! I have a 40g I-pod and I have put some music on using my own computer and then gave it to my friend so i could get some of his music. My I-tunes is set to update automatically not manually as far as I cant tell I have to plug in my i-pod to change this option -meaning the music I have already will be lost...Is this correct and is there anyway around it????

Luluta
Unregistered guest
Hi Berny,
i-tunes doesn't recognize my ipod. I tried to update or restore, but it's not possible. When I turn my ipod, after the logo, comes the folder with the exclamation mark and then on disk mode the "OK to disconnect" sign, but then it is frozen. I wonder if you could please help me.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3197
go here
http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/tutorial/index.html
http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/basics/

Luluta
Unregistered guest
I've already tried everything and it still doesn't work...

Thank you anyway, Berny!!

Gold Member

Post Number: 3205
Have you tried un-installing iTunes and re-installing it?

If you have done everything, it could be a drive problem. You will need to send the iPod back to apple for service.

Anonymous

when i turn my ipod on, it makes a clicking noise, and a picture of a file with an exclamation point shows up, what should i do?

Unregistered guest
hi'O Berny,
I have an I-pod photo and I had some no good photos on there and didn't know how to to delete them. So stupid me, i just deleted the files in the Photo folder on the ipod through my connection to the PC and then i got rid of the photos but now my when i run iTunes it comes up that my photo folder\ "photo database is corrupt and unreadable. please run the chkdsk utility". Is there anything i can do replace the files on the ipod so it can read it normally again?

Unregistered guest
Okay...umm...i have windows 98...and so i dont have the right computer. i dont know what to do!!!!!!!

Unregistered guest
so my ipod wont work. and we're not gettin a new puter cuz we just spent lotz on the ipod and i owe my mom big time in the first place...so...plz help me! i cant let my mom know it wont work cuz she'll get really mad...and i dont like it when she's mad...so...HELP! PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!

Gold Member

Post Number: 3214
Sorry to say but the iPod requires Windows 2000 and higher operating systems. The iPod box indicates the requirements for compatibility with your operating systems.
The best thing for your to do is return the iPod, because you will have no use for it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3215
happy devil,
I am not very familiar with the iPod Photo. But you should be able to just select the files on iTunes, put a check mark on the file and clear it.

Username: Mckennap

Kilkenny, Kilkenny Ireland

Post Number: 1
Hi Berny

I got a present of an ipod mini 6g - but in my haste/enthusiasm I connected the ipod to the computer before the software was loaded (it transpires I can't load the software anyway because it is only windows 98). Have I screwed up the ipod? If so, is there anything I can do to fix it?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3217
Sorry Peter, but there is nothing that you can do but upgrade your OS to at least Windows 2000. You did not screw up the iPod, so you can return it, just do a reset.

Username: Mckennap

Kilkenny, Kilkenny Ireland

Post Number: 2
Thanks a million Berny,

I guess I'll have to upgrade my system - hugely relieved I didn't screw up the ipod.

Im-Begging-For-help
Unregistered guest
Berny, (U ARE AWESOME)

Help me please, ok about the non recognising thing, When u put the CD in it updates ur ipod AND puts itunes on ur computer, u have to connect ur ipod on the begining aswell, it tells u too, but ur saying install itunes and update THEN put the ipod in. I dont get it, cause in the begining of the CD that comes with ipod it tells u to connect the ipod to procede with the next step!!!! please help, send to Spy789@aol.com or post message A.S.A.P., I just bought another ipod cause I thought the other one was defective.

Im-Begging-For-help
Unregistered guest
And still after the things u said, restart, dont have ipod in when installing itunes and updates, EVEN after purchasing a new 20 gb ipod on my Windows XP, it still says not connected, now this may help berny in understanding my problem, whenever i plug it in using usb or that fire things in the front it says " Power Surge on HuB Port, A USB device has exceeded the power limites of its hub port. My power supply is 310 watts. When i plug it in the back no message it just charges, and still isn't detected. PLEASE BERNIE HELP ME. Spy789@aol.com is the best way or post here.

wazzak
Unregistered guest
hey berny
just wondering if ure able to help me, with regards to charging an ipod, it says that after an hr its 80% charged and fully after about 4hours.. i was in the process of charging it for the first time and after about 1.5 hours my comp just shut down .. i restarted the comp and it says charged, im just wondering if i dont charge it fully the first time does that screw up the battery life in future and it can never have a FULL battery ??
thanks

Gold Member

Post Number: 3222
You will be fine wazzak:-) You won't screw up the battery life, that procedure only ensures that you get the maximum amount of fun time with your iPod.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3223
im-begging-for-help
I have not encountered the power limitation message on any iPod, so I wouldn't know what to tell you, except use the USB port that does not give you this message. Because on any other peripheral, if that message comes up, the USB device will be disabled to prevent damage to the attached device.

Have you tried to uninstall the USB under the "device manager"?

\*.:~*~:.*//Hannah\*.:~*~:.*//
Unregistered guest
thx...thx alot. well isnt there a way to upgrade it then do it on 98?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3225
unfortunately, no. Your operating system needs to be upgraded or your iPod just will not work.

Meghan
Unregistered guest
hey can someone please help me!! i am going on a trip tommorow and i need help so i can use my iPod during my week vacation. my iPod mini that i have had since december doesn't charge in the wall, only when its plugged into my computer. the first few weeks that i had it it charged in the wall but then it just stopped working. i don't have a computer to take with me during my trip so my iPod will run out of battery really fast if it doesn't have a wall hookup. i leave tommorow can someone please help me and fast!!

helpplease
Unregistered guest
Please help me, My Ipod worked fine, and then I went to add more songs, and now it says that I have a corrupt file everytime, it says to run the chkdsk or something, can anyone help me?

Meghan
Unregistered guest
hello can someone please help me! berny i need help lol i got my iPod in december of 2004 and it worked fine for the first few weeks i would charge it in the wall and in my computer and then suddenly it wouldn't charge in the wall anymore, only in my computer so i have been charging it in my computer ever since but i am going on vacation tommorow and it will run out of battery really fast since i don't have a computer can you help me and tell me why it won't charge in the wall and how i can make it charge in the wall? please help me!!!

Tanya P
Unregistered guest
I have an Ipod 20GB I believe, I had it installed on my old computer, that computer got fried so we bought a new one ( HP )... I saw there was an icon on my new computers desktop already so didn't think had to install, so I plugged in my ipod and it asked me if I wanted to update library, I thought that meant my old library into this new computer so I clicked yes... well it was just the opposite, it updated my old library to nothing now... please any help would be appreciated...

needhelpdesperately!
Unregistered guest
i have an ipod shuffle and i cant get my songs on it!iv tried everything i can think of but it wont work. i dont know why, but i dont have the options button! please help me!

needhelpdesperately
Unregistered guest
please help me i really dont know what to do! i dont have a clue why there is no options button, there just never was one!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us