I need help with my MINI-IPOD: transfering library from one computer to another (PLEASE HELP)

Username: Missleex3

Post Number: 1
hello,,
i just got my MINI-IPOD and i've been transfering some songs into it.but the computer ive been using has a problem, and won'tlet me transfer any songs to it. theIpod is functioning perfectly, but when i plug the ipod in it says that there's nothing connected. but it STILL shows the do not disconnect sign! the battery charges, but it just wouldn't let me transfer any songs that i have bought online. i feel like i ahave wasted about 30 dollars on this.

well, but i'd REALLY like to know how to transfer songs &your whole library from one computer to anhother. it seems to me like if you switch from one computer to another all your old songs get erased . i actually had to by some songs twice because of that. PLEASE HELP ME!!1

thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 3198
go here

http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/

it can deal with most of your concerns

Post Number: 2
ive already read it but it didnt help much.
i connected my ipod to the computer and checked itunes preferences and it says there's no ipod connected, even though the ipod shows the do not disconnect sign! and it won't update any songs, still.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3204
How are you connected to the PC? And what is your operating system? XP, 98, 2000, me?

Post Number: 3
the operating system is XP , and i'm connected to the PC with the USB cable that came with my miniipod. it's a laptop, and the USB port is connected, right where it's supposed to be but it still won't import any songs! i BOUGHT the songs and it's in my library in the computer, but it just won't get in the ipod! it doesnt even say 'transfering songs' or anything.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3206
Have you tried connecting another device to your USB port? Is it active/enabled?

Post Number: 4
yeah. since it's a laptop, i connected the mouse using the USB port and it works perfectly. the ipod is the only thing that's not working. it's connected and charging but the computer doens't recognize it. and i've already installed theCD.

yvwawa
Unregistered guest
it might be the USB port that you're using, I think sometimes, the iPod will only work with USB 2 port... but in any case, try to reboot your iPod.. instruction should be in the manual or on the iPod's website. I had similar problem before and wasted my ONE time tech support on that..

rebecca3333
Unregistered guest
I also just got my ipod, and I downloaded some music... it didn't go to my library. It went to one of my files, and won't budge. My ipod says do not disconnect, but the screen says the ipod update is complete. How do I move my music into the library or the my ipod file?

rebecca3333
Unregistered guest
I also just got my ipod, and I downloaded some music... it didn't go to my library. It went to one of my files, and won't budge. My ipod says do not disconnect, but the screen says the ipod update is complete. How do I move my music into the library or the my ipod file?

Linda53
Unregistered guest
I just got an iPOD. It shows up under Windows Explorer as G - Removable Disk but it does not show up under iTunes. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the iPOD software and iTunes several times and still have the exact same problem. I am using Windows XP. Any help would be appreciated.

Unregistered guest
I recently had to restore my computer. How do I get my songs from my ipod mini back on my computer? HELP!

Anonymous

I just got my ipod mini and I've been trying to download this one CD to my ipod. iTunes says its downloading the songs to my ipod, but when I look for the songs on my ipod nothings there. What should I do?

Courtney
Unregistered guest
WELL, i got my ipod yestarday. i come home. and start to do it. i do the whole cd set up stuff and it only says its "charging" i downloaded stuff onto itunes from my own personal cds. it has twenty-five songs on itunes now, but it wont go to the ipod.all it says is "charging" do u think something could be wrong with the USB? or should i return my beloved ipod...
p.s. its a mini

courtney
Unregistered guest
it was the USB ports haha thanks anyway

p2p1992
Unregistered guest
i had gotten some music from my sisters house and put it on my ipod mini now i am at a nw computer
HOW DO I TRANSFER MUSIC FROM MY IPOD TO THE COMPUTER??????????????

miniipodproblemfixermaybe
Unregistered guest
HOW TO FIX THE ANNOYING PROBLEM:!!!!!

*i had an ipod mini that when i connected it said "do not disconnect"... when i finally shut my computer off... that messaged went away... i thought music would be automatically-transfered to my ipod but it wasn't!!!!

*you need to have an "icon of your ipod" located in the list on the side of the itune window. if it isn't.....then it won't copy your songs!!!!

**this is what i did...***

*restart computer and unplug your mini, then when your computer is started up again, open itunes, and then when the window is open, plug in your mini... if the "update window"opens then click **restore** (i lot of ipods need to update/restore to work right!!!)... then restart computer again, and unplug ipod... keep inserting ipod when you open the itunes window... do this a few time (restarting comp...) and "eventually" you'll see the "little ipod icon" located in the itunes list (on the right) and then it will start transferring songs....

*this mini ipod pissed me off so much but once you get that "ipod icon" in the list then it will automatically start loading songs to ipod!!!!

*i hope this helps any1 who is pissed off with the mini-ipod big complication! :-)

go to apple help and watch little video for ideas to fix prob.

bevan
Unregistered guest
I downloaded music from a friends computer on to my IPOD. I transferred them all to my PC. But now when I try to make new playlists, my ipod says that it's full!! It will only take 26 songs. HELP

Anonymous

i got the same problem my computer detects my i pod but i tunes doesnt ..so that i cant transfer any music to my ipod..pls HELP ME

Jengerbil89
Unregistered guest
I bought an iPod Mini last night, managed to put some songs on it at my dads, then brought it home. It is connected to the computer, and it says do not disconnect, but according to the Apple site the music should automatically transfer over to my pod. But its not.

Ocasionally the ipod icon appears in the source list on i-tunes, but it wont let me copy the music onto the pod. My sister has got one and has never had this problem.

any ideas?

Jen x

Gold Member

Post Number: 3492
Because you conected to 2 different computers, that usually causes a problem. Go to the apple website and do a search on using mulitple computers for 1 iPod.

Unregistered guest
ok heres one for ya, a friend transfered songs to my mini ipod from her computer, how do i transfer the songs from my mini ipod to my library, on my computer?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3538
you can't it is a one way transfer. You must know how to turn your iPod into a removable hard drive. Go to apple.com and do a search on the tech support under hard drive.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3539
iPod made it a one way transfer to keep people from doing what you are doing.

Anonymous

i got the same problem my computer detects my i pod but i tunes doesnt ..so that i cant transfer any music to my ipod..pls HELP ME

salty
Unregistered guest
wen i connect my ipod into my computer my computer detects the i pod but when i go to i tunes it say no ipod connected ..help me pls !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jzr3
Unregistered guest
i had my computer fixed and had to erase everything including itunes. all my songs are erased and i dont want to go through the trouble of downloading all 295 songs again. is there any way i can transfer the songs on my ipod mini to my computer?? please respond-

Gold Member

Post Number: 3687
NO.
Read the above posts...it is a one way transfer only!
If you want to do that you need to hack your iPod. Do a search on iPod hacks, there is also a program that can extract that info from your iPod, but I don't know what it is.

Unregistered guest
My ipod software was loaded on to a friends computer as I didn't have one when I bought my ipod. I have since bought a laptop of my very own and want to get my tunes from her computer onto mine. I had to take my ipod into the store to get it checked out and they plugged it in and wiped off over 3000 songs. Obviously I don't want to have to do it all again. I've downloaded the i-tunes onto my computer from the internet but I don't have the CD that came with the ipod, it has mysteriously disappeared so how do I get round this problem. Urgent help would be appreciated as I go on holiday for a week and will be pulling my hair out with no music. Thanks.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3708
Barbie,
You need to get the music from your friend's computer and wwrite it on to a disk or other removable media.
Transfer that music on to your pc and from there add it to your iTunes library. Then you can put it in your iPod.

You can also use the iPod as a hard disk drive but it would be complicated so we'll keep it simple:-) Unless of course you already know how.

If your iPod software was loaded on to a friends pc, it would probably be with your friend.

Samson
Unregistered guest
My sister and I both have Ipods on the same computer. Is it possible to get two different accounts on the computer so that we can both have our own music on each account instead of all on one account? If so I would be very grateful for help on how to accomplish this!

smokke
Unregistered guest
my ipod used to work fine until one day i tried to recharge it and when i plug it in the USB port , nothing shows up on the ipod , just plain screen and its like my USB port doesnt work, any suggestions? did anyone have the same problem?

smokke
Unregistered guest
i cant even update songs because its like the iPod isnt connected to the computer even if it is connected to the USB port

isabella
Unregistered guest
i just got an ipod, and i just wanted to know how you transfer cds to my ipod? can anyone help??

isabella
Unregistered guest
i just got an ipod, and i just wanted to know how you transfer cds to my ipod? can anyone help??

Gold Member

Post Number: 3778
Isabella,
Use iTune to import the songs from your CD to the iTunes Library. Fromt eh library you drag and drop into the iPod icon on your iTunes window.

Unregistered guest
I have had a 20GB ipod for about 8 mos. now. in may my original PC that i had my ipod working with crashed on me. since then i've switched to Mac. however, now i can't use my ipod with my mac without reformmating my ipod and erasing all 5000 songs on it. i don't really want to do that because that's a buttload of cds that i'd have to upload again on to my computer and that's just a heck of a lot of time (about 150 cds i think). also i'd lose some other music just from friends' cds that i have ripped onto the ipod (so i don't have hard copies of every cd basically). i'd like to know if there is a way that i can convert my ipod library to my mac or atleast format it for my mac without having to go through the labor of re-importing my entire cd collection again. that sucks. please help me out if that can be done. thanks! Dan

Gold Member

Post Number: 3790
I'm afraid not. Apple is making it difficult to do that so people don't do the file sharing mess again. If we want our music on our iPod we have to work hard to transfer it. I know it sucks!

Unregistered guest
i have 60g photo n its all hooked up rite n everything works perfect except its doesnt transfer from itunes to ipod. the music is all in the library ready to go, the ipod is disconnected until the comp is turned on, when itunes starts up n the ipod is connected it automatically starts updating, the problem, it suddenly stops updating, doesnt say anything n hasnt transferred anything. It transferred once but wont again. i have rebooted the comp a few times n nothing has worked. what do i do? this is really frustrating...

Janayto
Unregistered guest
I want to transfer my songs from my ipod to my library! My computer got cleaned out so all my files are gone! how do i get them to the library?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3876
george18,
check your preferences and see if the iPod transfer is checked of as "manage my songs manually" or "automatic".

If it is manuall, you have to specify which songs are going to transfer. If it is automatic, all the songs that are checked on you itunes will be transferred everytime you dock your iPod.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3877
janayto,
You cannot transfer music files from your iPod to your computer.If you find a work around post it here,but that is the way it was coded.

jennyhenry86
Unregistered guest
I have just bought an ipod mini, and want to transfer all my songs from my pc (Windows XP) onto it. However, a lot of the songs are ones I ripped from CD into Windows Media Player, and don't show up in itunes. My brother said it was something to do with the type of file they are. Could anyone give me any advice on how to get ripped songs from Windows Media Player onto my ipod, without having to do it all again by ripping the CDs into itunes? (The songs I've actually downloaded from the internet can all be imported fine)

Gold Member

Post Number: 3914
Find out where the music files are stored and use the "add folders to library" on your iTunes. From there the iTunes will convert your WMA files to the files that can be used by your iPod.

Anonymous

i upgraded my itunes to 5, and when i did that it deleted all my songs on itunes. i tried to find my files but their all "damaged" supposedly. Is their any way i can import all my songs from my ipod into my library?

Anonymous

I upgraded my itunes to 5 and it said all my songs were damaged. Do now i dont have any songs on my itunes. i tried to pull them up from a file but they are supposedly damaged. is their any possible way i can import my songs from my ipod onto my itunes library

Gold Member

Post Number: 3949
no
you need a hack, just google it

Anonymous

hack? what do you mean?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3963
Forget it. It is only a one way transfer, you cannot transfer music from your iPod to your computer or to any other computer, unless you are using the ipod as a removable hard drive. I doubt that you know how to do that, so you are stuck with the music on your iPod.

If you don't know what a hack means you won't know what it can do and you probably wouldn't know how to apply it. Sorry to be so blunt but leave it to someone who knows what they are doing.

Anonymous

ya, all you had to say was take it to a professional. no need to be rude.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3984
Yup, take it to a professional. I was just being truthful, if you can't handle it too bad. Your anonymity should give you a modicum of self indulged protection so don't feel too slighted. Relax. That information is in your instruction manual, all you have to do is read it. Then there is tech support.

Unregistered guest
ok i have a ipod mini! omg! i turned on muh ipod and a picture of a ipod with Xs for eyes and a sad face came up.den a picture of a battery wit little power? Wuts happening? Can it be fixed? i DIDNT FROP IT OR ANYTHING! PLEZZZZZZZEEEEEEE HELP ASAP! I CANT LIVE WITHOUT MUH IPOD!

Gold Member

Post Number: 4011
Your iPod is dead. Nothing you can do but send it in for repair or buy a new one.

Anonymous

Hi..i just got my IPOD and i downloaded all the itunes software..All the songs that i already had on my computer automatically went directly onto my ipod....but when i put a new cd in the computer i cant figure out how to make it go onto the IPOD....? I read the IPOD(mini) booklet thing and it says it will automatically but the new songs onto it once you hook it up with the USB wire but it doesnt do it...? Help please...:-)

kristen_m
Unregistered guest
i got exact same prob. had ipod for 3 months works fines, but now it charges but the 'do not disconnect sign' doesnt even come up and i cant put new music on there....

Unregistered guest
I want to know if you can download music without using the itune disc

Gold Member

Post Number: 4051
Brenda,
Do you mean download music to your iPod?

AnaVill
Unregistered guest
HI,
When I play my mini ipod it skips a lot of songs and the volume can't be controlled from my Ipod I have to use the Car stereo volume.

Do you think this is caused by using both MAc and PC to transfer songs??
First I used a Pc to transfer the songs from my itunes to my ipod. Then I used a Mac to transfer songs, without formatting.

Thanks in advance

anavill
Unregistered guest
I found that there is a way to transfer all your Ipod music library to your Itunes. Look up for a software called "Copypod"

CopyPod is the ultimate backup & recovery tool for your iPod. It enables to easily transfer your iPod's music library to your PC without loosing ratings and playlists and other personal data. Being able to download music from your iPod is useful whether you need to send your iPod for repair, retrieve your music because of a computer / hard drive crash, or just to backup to a different drive, CopyPod will get your music off your iPod effortlessly.

kirsty
Unregistered guest
my computer detects my ipod mini. but itunes doesnt. My ipod is charging but no songs are downloading onto it. So now i am left wit old songs !!!!! please help. iv tried restoring my ipod but it isnt detecting it. Iv also tried plugging my ipod in my other usb socket. But it just isnt working !!!

theodore
Unregistered guest
hey berny is it that complicated to use your ipod as an external hardrive? can you just open it up in my computer and then just drag your files onto it like saving it on a disk or thumbdrive? or is it way to complicated to explain? thanks

unknown member
Unregistered guest
my ipod did that thingy were itunes does not detect it. but i left it for 24hrs tried it again and it worked!!! i was landed. i hope this was a help to anyonw who was having that problem.

ahgibbs
Unregistered guest
Im looking at buying an ipod but everyone I talk to tells me different stuff. At the moment all music stored on my computer is accessible through either Windows Media Player, or Real Player and majority of the tracks are .wmp files. From what Ive heard, does this mean I wont be able to transfer any of these onto an ipod or can I convert them? Its just I have hundreds of tracks and itd cost a fortune to replace them all!

Miscellaneous
Unregistered guest
Excellent deals on ipods here

http://ipods.freepay.com/?r=22969251

Gold Member

Post Number: 4067
theodore,
no it is not that complicated. When you open up "my computer" it will show up as an external hard drive. If you want detailed instructions go to the apple.com website.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4070
ahgibbs,
yes you can download those songs to your ipod. iTunes can convert them to load into your library and into your iPod.

ahgibbs
Unregistered guest
Will it do that automatically or will I need to get some additional software to do it 4 me?

Anony-fu%$#-mous
Unregistered guest
This might help some people. Just remember that every ipod comes with a one year warranty. Just go to www.apple/support/ipod.com if you bought it trough the e-net. And fill out a small application with your info and what's wrong with the ipod, even if its Bull $h!#t. They'll send a small box which you'll fit the ipod in. It comes with istructions, and a 1-800 # where you can schedual a free pickup. It's a very easy process, and you'll get a brand new ipod with-in a week, I'm on my 3rd, so go get those A holes which come out with new color ipods right when you buy a color-less or not the stylish nano which is better than the mini, AT THE SAME COST!!!

Sincerely, one pissed off
but satisfied apple customer.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 1830
That's...unethical.

L. Davis
Unregistered guest
Hi, I have a question..

I just bought an iPod mini, it will be delivered in about 5 days. :-)

I have about 500 songs already saved onto my PC, all in mp3 format. How would I go about transferring those songs from my desktop to my iPod mini?

Thanks.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4078
ahgibbs,
once you add the songs to your library, iTunes will automatically conver it for you so it can be loaded on the iPod.

super_ally
Unregistered guest
arrghhh please help! this problem has come up a lot but cant really find an answer..plugged my mini iPod into a different computer and it wiped all my music and im just left with her music and now my computer doesnt recognise my ipod. plz help..many thanks :-)

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 1863
Yeah, you weren't really supposed to switch computers...

kirsty
Unregistered guest
welll duh its in the rule book
dint u check it out ?

laura4008
Unregistered guest
hi i really need some help and advice on my i pod mini.
i have windows ME and know thats its not compatiable with the ipod. ive tried loading the cd (which wont work) and plugged the ipod in to charge and to see if there was anyway i could get around it but now on my ipod it has a little folder sign with "www.apple.com/support". ive been on to the website but find it very confusing!!! ive tried switching it off pressing hold, basically trying everything that involves the ipod and computer!!! now at this present time its just frozen!!!! is there any way i can get round this? please help!!!!

Anonymous

http://www.engadget.com/
check out this site.........
it helps u tranfer ur songs from IPod to your PC'S.........
its real good!!!!

Nat Comp Geek
Unregistered guest
Everyone who wants to have their friends Ipod music and their music at the same time on the same Ipod is gonna love me to death!!! Like everyone else I wanted to have Sydney's(friend)ipod on mine at the same time as having my own. I didn't want any viruses either. I looked all over and I found this site that lets you download this software called SharePod. It downloads it onto your Ipod and you can upload your music from your Ipod. here is the site http://sturm.t35.com/sharepod/index.htm If you have any trouble with it then type back and let me know, but i doubt you will!

jackgr
Unregistered guest
how do i get phone number for phone help for new ipod?

teresa
Unregistered guest
my boyfriend and i use the same computer and both have ipods can we both set up our own accounts were his music wont transfer on to my ipod thanks teresa

unsatisfied customer ALREADY
Unregistered guest
ok i just bought an ipod 30GB last night and i put in the cd it gave me to setup the itunes program...all my music already on my computer was transferred into the library and i've tried putting some songs on my ipod through the songs i have in my library and the cds i put in my drive...but its not friggin working..what the hell am i supposed to do?

apple didnt give me a detailed instructions booklet so wtf am i supposed to do? am i gunna ave to return this peice of shiit already??

please someone help me before i sue....sorry im just really annoyed and frustrated..thought this was supposed to be easy since i paid a lousy $400 on this fukkin shiit!!! :-( grrrr!!!

Unregistered guest
How do i my music on to the ipod

Anonymous

itunes problem. I've downloaded the Desperate Housewives Video "I Wish I Could Forget About You". It took about 30min to download (which seemed odd) and then never showed up on my purchased or video list, but it charged me for it. Any ideas how this happened or how i can get my video?

brean flemings
Unregistered guest
I Have a mini and i have dropped it on the ground and it want turn on can someone help?

Unregistered guest
my ipod doesn't show that i have songs on it and my computer won't show my list of songs but at the bottom of the screen it does acknownlegde 3.00gb used out of 3.76gb how do i get my ipod to download the songs back onto my computer

Unregistered guest
my ipod doesn't show that i have songs on it and my computer won't show my list of songs but at the bottom of the screen it does acknownlegde 3.00gb used out of 3.76gb how do i get my ipod to download the songs back onto my computer

Unregistered guest
^ is there a way to fix this problem

farbbb
Unregistered guest
Is there anyway you can install your Ipod mini onto the PC without using the installation cd that came with it?

Cathal, UK
Unregistered guest
Guys, while copying from your ipod to PC is not supported by itunes, there is loads of software that will do this, such as copypod, sharepod and more. These (the ones I've come across at any rate) seem to have been written by ipod using programmers who were irritated about the limitations of itunes - i.e. not by a load of evil spyware peddling scumbags. Anyway, there is a useful article about this in About.com: http://macs.about.com/od/ipod/a/copy_from_ipod.htm

Hope you find this useful.

*!X!*Hannah*!X!*
Unregistered guest
okay, so i have an ipod mini, and, like, i connect it and it charges, but my computer never says that its connected. i put songs on my itunes, but it never goes on my ipod! im wondering whats going on because the songs i try to put on there are really awesome and im sad because its not working! PLEASE HELP!

Anonymous

i got music off of my sisters computer onto my ipod. but now im on my own computer and i want the songs already on my ipod to be in my library as well. how do i get them there? please help. if you know the answere email it to me at br0k3n_sm1Le_x3@yahoo.com .. thanx

Anonymous

i got music off of my sisters computer onto my ipod. but now im on my own computer and i want the songs already on my ipod to be in my library as well. how do i get them there? please help. if you know the answere email it to me at br0k3n_sm1Le_x3@yahoo.com .. thanx

Anonymous

Unregistered guest
Ok i bought an i pod off of my friend and they had about 400 songs already on it. When i went to go add some cds it totally erased every song that was previoulsy downloaded, so then my other friend took it for me and added songs..i want to add more cds but i dont want all the other ones erased again..soo what do i do?

thanks a bunch

BaDKiTTy
Unregistered guest
you can transfer you songs from ipod to your computer. before installing itunes plug ur ipod to usb and just copy ur songs from removeble disk to you hard drive. then install ur itunes again adn load ur song to ur library. im doing this right now actually. good luck ppl.

Username: Dallasjam

Post Number: 2
Berny,
I am having the same problem as Linda53. What do you suggest?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us