Archive through March 23, 2005

Lukemen
Unregistered guest
I just bought my Lyra on xmas day, and when i put some videos into it, avi formatted, and i play the movie the audio isn't syncronized with the video. It's like someones mouth is moving but he's saying the wrong things. Pleae help me!

little help
Unregistered guest
The Lyra 2780 - plays things it records best. asf format

An Evil Dictator
Unregistered guest
at least u can charge ures,mine wont play anything without a dc cable attching it to the mains.

Unregistered guest
Ahhh! I can't charge mine either! Have you had any luck with yours? Email me, por favor. keyootie@gmail.com

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 2407
go here!

Call customer support.

http://www.rcaaudiovideo.com/Cultures/en-US/DownloadsLanding.html

Unregistered guest
I bought a Lyra shortly after New Years and have not been able to play a movie on it yet. I have downloaded software to convert DVD's I have to avi format, but each time when I try to play the movies, I get an unrecognized format message. Do you have a suggestion for ripping software that I can use??

Acura RSX-S
Unregistered guest
Use TMPGEnc:

http://www.tmpgenc.net/e_main.html

It'll convert any kind of format into a workable mpg file to work on the Lyra.

TECHOLIO
Unregistered guest
techolio.com is the best lyra 2780 forum i know of

HELP ME!!!
Unregistered guest
i got my lyra jukebox a while ago, and lately i've been having lots of troubles with hearing it... i can't hear any audio no matter what headphones i use, i mean, i can hear some, but no vocals or anything... its like its shorting out or the headphones don't go completely into the jack... its driving me crazy! if someone knows how to fix this, please tell me!

Unregistered guest
just got a rca lyra 2780.
i cant get windows xp to recongnize it as a devie.
does anyone know how to slove this?

thanks

HELP ME!!!
Unregistered guest
did you install the desktop app. from the disk?

when you go to My Computer, does it have the two removable disk drives?

hmm... its been a while since i installed mine... but i think i ran into the same problem.. i'll think about it a while, then get back to you when i remember how i solved it. :-)

Ineedhelpbadly
Unregistered guest
When I try to add a song to a playlist, i get a "no audio has been tagged" message. What can I do???

Tech guy
Unregistered guest
Hey everybody this is "Tech Guy" doing his day of service. (its what keeps me out of hell!) lol j/k
ok here we go

Lukemen: ok man the LYRA can only Read the following types of media. (MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, JPEG, MP3, MP3PRO, & WMA) so it wont play Avi's..try downloading it here: http://www.tmpgenc.net/e_main.html it converts avi's to anything. (This goes for you to Taylor)

ok "rmblackmon" for your problem the lyra works like a USB Flash Drive so the first thing I would suggest is uninstalling all the software it came with. Then plug it in. it should show up as a "removable disk drive". So you really don't even need the software. (Which is sweet!) If that doesn't work its most likely your USB port. The LYRA likes to use USB 2.0. But I've gotten mine to work on 1.0 it's just slower or sometimes won't see it. If you don't have a USB 2.0 card I highly suggest getting one. Just go to www.newegg.com they have them for pretty cheep

For "HELP ME!!!" you might want to check the audio format and bit stream of your audio just right click on the file in your PC and select properties then it will tell you if its MP3 or WMA. If its MP3 make sure the bit stream is between: 320 kbps - 320 kbps and if its WMA make sure its between: 192 kbps - 192 kbps if that doesn't work then I think it's a physical problem with the unit. Now for everyone else it looks like a physical problem with your LYRA. Go to: www.rca.com/customerservice and report your issue. it will get replaced if there is something physically wrong with it and you didn't cause it. ( "know what I mean")any more questions just email me at cjsmazda@yahoo.com

big b
Unregistered guest
i got my rca lyra rd 2780 a couple days ago and downloading music and pictures on it works fine but when i connect it to the t.v. and try to record things, it says "No video signal is present, Cannot Record". Does anyone know how to fix this? If so, PLEASE let me know how to fix this.

Tech Guy
Unregistered guest
Hey big D try making sure your plugged into the VIDEO OUT on the TV. Some TV's don't have a video out. So you will have to do it through a VCR or something

big b
Unregistered guest
tech guy, ur a genius, thanks alot

Anonymous

"No video signal is present, Cannot Record". Help Please! Want to record from a portable receiver I own to the lyra rd2780 the receiver only has video out jack which Ive attached to the line in port on the unit using available cable provided ( didnt use the red or white jack, only the yellow) but keep getting no signal message.whats wrong here?

Tech Guy
Unregistered guest
Anonymous did you check to make sure you are pluged into a VIDEO OUT like I listed above? if so what are you trying to record from? VCR, TV?

BJ
Unregistered guest
I have an RCA Lyra RD2840 and it has been working fine but all of a sudden it won't turn on. I tried hitting the reset button but thats not working and its not because it needs to be charged because that won't work either! Please help!!!

Tech Guy
Unregistered guest
BJ the power supply was one of the design problems of the Lyra. If you're still with in 90 day's of purchase you can return it to RCA for a new one. go to: www.rca.com/customerservice and report the issue ASAP so you dont go over the 90 days

Touchdown
Unregistered guest
I have a RD2780, and when I try downloading songs to it from napster & musicnow, while it getts to the player, when I try to play it, on the screen it shows that its loading for awhile, then it just goes back to the previous screen. What can i do?

Touchdown
Unregistered guest
I have a RD2780, and when I try downloading songs to it from napster & musicnow, while it getts to the player, when I try to play it, on the screen it shows that its loading for awhile, then it just goes back to the previous screen. What can i do?

touchdown
Unregistered guest
I have a RD2780, and while it can download songs from napster & musicnow, when I try to play the songs, the screen shows it loading for awhile, then it goes back to the previous screen. Is it something I'm doin?

Nish
Unregistered guest
i bought a refurbished lyra RD2780 and it worked for like four days. now it wont turn on. you can hear it kind of working but the screen doesnt work. what do i do? it has a 30 day warranty but i live in england!!!

Tech Guy
Unregistered guest
Touchdown check the Media Type. is it WMA? or MP3? or something else?

Tech Guy
Unregistered guest
Nish your SOL if you dont return it. unless you can find someone that you know can fix it.

Touchdown
Unregistered guest
They are downloaded as WMA. Still won't play on the RD2780, though. I don't have any problem downloading music from my CD's though.

Do you know if Napster and/or MusicNow are usable on the RD2780?

Tech Guy
Unregistered guest
Touchdown I wouldn't be surprised. I know AOL does. And I tunes does. It's called a "Wrapper". A little file that opens during the song and makes sure you have a download Key saved in you're Computer. The sole reason for doing this? To stop you from being able to share the MP3's that you download. But I'm not sure I don't use Napster. Try using a real share client Like Emule, Kazaa light, Lime wire or Bit torrent. They are real free file sharing networks. And I know the music from there works.

ghdfhdfh
Unregistered guest
hey guys i bought a few songs from musicmatch music store and they wont play! i think its because of the DRM protection, but music match says the RD2780 is supported.. this sucks!

tv out
Unregistered guest
when i use the tv out option on the bottom of the player the picture is in black and white. does anyone know what the problem is

Gaz_M
Unregistered guest
Hi There Guys!
My RD2780 has been working fine for a good 6 month or so. A couple of days ago It flashed into USB safe mode the only way to access the player is connect the USB wire but then it is not recognised by my computer, and now all it does when I turn it on is return into usb safe mode. I have tried changing my hard drive but with no remedy. I'm in the UK and don't really want the expense or ringing the US and then having to send the player back. Any ideas?????????

Plain User for almost 1 year
Unregistered guest
tv out: make sure you have the unit sending NTSC signal to the TV and not PAL

BJ
Unregistered guest
The three months has already passed. Do you know any place that can fix this problem??? Or can look at the player for me??? I really appreciate your feedback.

Battery
Unregistered guest
Hey guys can you tell me about how long your battery life on the Lyra is?

Unregistered guest
Bought the lyra new and got some songs downloaded into it. worked fine untill all of a sudden the USB safe mode will not go away even when i disattach the usb cable. I got a saftey pin and tried to restart the lyra when i turned it back on the USB safe mode appeared.. There is no way to get back to the menu.. HELP..!!!

smg240x
Unregistered guest
Hey, whenever i try to record my videos or dvd's onto my RD2780, i get an error message that says that it is copy protected. Does anyone know any way to get around this?

I would image that it would not be a copyright infringement to backup and view videos and dvds that i own...

Patrick

ryandogger
Unregistered guest
Does anyone know how to put videos on the rca lyra 2780...the video downloads to it but then only comes up as audio and you can hear whats playing but cannot see the video.

ryandogger
Unregistered guest
Does anyone know how to put videos on the rca lyra 2780...the video downloads to it but then only comes up as audio and you can hear whats playing but cannot see the video.

Unregistered guest
I have the Lyra 2780.

I have read all the posts and downloaded the TMPGEnc:However I am still having problems transferring and viewing the files on the Lyra. Can anyone who is familiar with the TMPGE program tell me which are the correct audio and video settings for the conversion?

Username: Slipbit

Post Number: 2
LYRA RD2780 only comes up in "USB Safe Mode".This problem can be caused by one of two things: 1. Lyra system software corruption- fix by reloading s/w OR 2. HARDWARE failure. For this, you will need to contact LYRA T.S. @ 580-634-0115. They are aware of this issue and will exchange your unit ($59.95 charge if out of warranty) for an upgraded unit. They charge your CC $1XX.XX and send you a replacement then you return your unit in their shipping container. When they receive your unit, they then refund you the CC charge MINUS the $59.95 exchange/shipping fee. I just made the call and will let you know how it goes. -Good luck-
P.S. They were unable/(willing?) to connect me to ANYONE that knew about the problem, their only responce is that they would exchange the unit and would not give any other details.

Tech Guy
Unregistered guest
Hey Guys its Tech Guy again.
It looks like most of you are having a little trouble with video conversion for the Lyra. So I'm going to give you the all a crash course in video conversion. With the Lyra you have 2 options. One is recording directly to it from a VCR TV or DVD player. Two is to convert video in you're computer and transfer it.

Option 1 Recording
Step 1 just connects directly to the TV/VCR/DVD player. Using the conversion cables it came with.
Step 2 set the Audio. It's a good Idea to not blast it into the Lyra. Set it fairly low to avoid the distortion. Another good idea to limit distortion is to NOT run the DVD player through the TV. Instead connect directly to the DVD/VCR for movies.
Step 3 as most of you know the Lyra wont record copy righted material. But there is a trick to it. The Lyra only picks up or looks for the copyrighted signal for 10 seconds. So to get around it you need to let it record nothing for 10 seconds. So try sitting at the "play movie screen" for 10 seconds then push play on the DVD/VCR and it should work fine. In some cases you may need to record a blank screen.
Step 4: stop it at the end of the movie so you don't make the file bigger then it has to be!

Option 2 Video Compression
In my opinion it's a little harder but makes the video compression look a whole lot nicer. There are quite a Few ways to do this with hundreds of different kinds of software available.

Step1: get the AVI. If you're doing this from a DVD you first need to convert the DVD to an AVI. The best way I have found to do this is to use the software "DVD2AVI" you can download it free from: http://www.dvd2dvd.org/
Another good place to get already Pre-converted AVI's is to go to www.shareprovider.com and download the movie links into Emule or Edonkey and download them via the donkey networks. (But this is only for those who don't have a problem with getting movies for free :-)

Step2: after you get the AVI you need to turn it into an MPEG2. The simplest way I have found to do this is to use WinMPG Video Convert v5.6. Just go to: http://www.winmpg.com/ and download it. Here you have two options you can pay the 30 bucks for a registration code so you can convert things. Or you could visit a friendly site called www.serials.ws and search for the Registration key for the software. Then a little copy and past and you have some free software :-)

Step3 just open WinMPG and select the AVI to VCD option. (I tried them all but for some reason the AVI to MPEG option doesn't work) then select the input file (browse to your AVI) then select the Output file (save it in another folder) push convert. After that it gives you two options PAL or NTSF. I select PAL because it looks better but both work. After its done converting just transfer it to the LYRA and you're done! If you have an questions email me at clovato@gmail.com

Unregistered guest
Ok heres the deal, i only have about 5gb of the hard drive taken up, and 4.5 is mp3's and wma's. I let it profile everything and sort it all out into set's and i tried breaking it down for it so it could play the smallest playlist possible, but if i click on a playlist with more than one song in it (i know one song isnt a playlist) it slows down horrrrrrribly slow, and sometimes it seems like it froze, but i let it sit and 5 or 10 minutes later it resumes its process and plays the songs. i have know idea why its this slow, but its just rediculous. i have 1100 songs total, so thats not much at all. is there an upgrade for RAM or somthing hehe? i have the 18.1 or whatever the latest firmware upgrade is. so im lost HELLPPPP

davidlt99
Unregistered guest
I have a Lyra 2780. When I power it on, the splash screen appears. I then hear a click, the light for the display extinguishes, and the splash screen fades to black. Any ideas?

Unregistered guest
Hey, is there any upgrades on battery life?

Patrick

Unregistered guest
im haveing the power problem too.. when i try to turn it on it sounds like something is trying to start up but doesn't.. so i thought maybe since i haven't used it in a while i might need to charge it, so i did it and still wouldn't turn on. it would try but no do it... tech guy any ideas...

Tech Guy
Unregistered guest
Hey Guys TECH GUY here. I did some research on the battery problem because I noticed my Lyra is not meeting the 4 hr battery life as deemed by RCA. I get about 2 then Im dead. (Then again thats watching movies not music.) But what I found is the batteries were the biggest design flaw in the Lyra. And you can get the Lyra Replaced from the RCA, the whole sale vendor or the retailer. Normally the retailer will give you the run around but if you ask who the there distributor is and explain to them they are fully responsible for the replacement of the LYRA if defective they will be happy to help fº

GSX and everyone else Im sure youve tried it but try booting it up when its still plugged in to its power source. Then let it recharge for awhile if that doesnt work then hopefully your still under the 90 day warranty fº

smg240x
Unregistered guest
So does charging my lyra too much delete from the battery life pernamently?

Patrick

Anonymous

I have read all the posts and downloaded the TMPGEnc:However I am still having problems transferring and viewing the files on the Lyra. Can anyone who is familiar with the TMPGE program tell me which are the correct audio and video settings for the conversion?

Tech Guy
Unregistered guest
Hey Anonymous try this:
Going in from the wizard in TMPG. First you need to select NTSC under Video-CD then hit next. 2nd in this screen input your AVI. Make sure the audio is compatible as well. (if the audio isn't compatible you'll need to clean up the AVI using another program.) then push next. 3rd go down and select "Other Settings" make sure the size is at 352 by 240 and set the "Motion search precision" to "highest quality very slow" then go to audio and select stereo and set the "sampling frequency" to: 32000 and that's it! Just hit next and select an out put folder and your done! If you have any questions let me know.

ghdfhdfh
Unregistered guest
hey guys..

i talked to tech support about the DRM thing, they said the latest firmware should have supportfor DRM (i never got it to work for me).. one alternative i use is allofmp3.com (great site) you can download songs for < 15cents a piece. (its based in russia so that explains why everythign is so cheap). Anyhow, all these songs from allofmp3 have no DRM protection, so they play fine on my Lyra.

also i was having a problem that when i converted my videos to MPEG4, the audio and video werent synched.. I used the freeware program "pocketdivxencoder" and everything works fine (just select the Archos 3xx as your type)

Also I would like to point out that there is an active Lyra RD2780 message board at techolio.com and there are some hints and other tricks for the lyra at lyrard2780.tk

I would also like to thank Tech Guy for continually coming and answering questions!

mox
Unregistered guest
Hey
i have around 2,000 songs on my player but when i select a song to play it takes 2-3 minutes to load it up and play and sometimes the screen just freezes permanently. is there any way of speeding this up????

smg240x
Unregistered guest
Seperate them into folders.

Patrick

asap
Unregistered guest
hi does anyone know which os lyra runs on? i know what its campatible with but i dont know what os it actually runs on... thank u!

Unregistered guest
I had bought an RCA Lyra RD1072A About a month back. Everything worked fine until about a week ago when all but 1 song quite playing. When you go to play, the time stay at 00.00 I don't know what to do, I took off all the songs, redownloaded them and then reloaded them on to the player. Still, nothing works.

Tech Guy
Unregistered guest
Hey ASAP the lyra runs on its own operating system that RCA made called Firmware.

Tech Guy
Unregistered guest
Hey mox you need to get the firm ware update. And test the media you're using. Try browsing from files and open the media files there. If it still slows down it's probably the song.

asap
Unregistered guest
>Tech Guy thank u so much for ur quick reply! i didnt know Firmware was an OS. how did u know? is there a link that i can learn more about it? thank u again!

ghdfhdfh
Unregistered guest
Yes it is true that it runs its own OS, but its not called "firmware"

Firmware is a generic term used in many electronics.. for example cell-phones have a firmware in them and that tells them how to run. I believe their OS is based on a Unix variant.

asap
Unregistered guest
>ghdfhdfh, thank u for ur reply. do u know what lyra's os is called? i searched & searched... i cant find it anywhere! thank u!

smg240x
Unregistered guest
O = operating
S = system

IMO...i would think that would mean the same thing ghdfhdfh...

Patrick

djcydefekt
Unregistered guest
whats up every1 i jus brought home my lyra 2780 hoping to hook it up to my turntables and record it seems i cant figure out which output or input to plug the rca cords it came with into i tried putting them direct into the mixer and the reciever to no avail if ne1 could help ill give you free mix cds for life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unregistered guest
Make sure whatever is plugged into your lyra, have that as your input...and whatever is plugged into your mixer to be output. It should say OUT somewhere on there. All you need to use are the red and white ones to record audio.

So do i get free mix CD's for life? ;-)

Patrick

djcydefekt
Unregistered guest
dude if i can get this going ill take all your info and its on!!!!!!

Unregistered guest
cool!...my email is smartguy240x@hotmail.com

Hope it works for you.

Patrick

iLikeHaloAlot
Unregistered guest
Hey this is goint to sound stupid, but I have had my Lyra for a while but I have never used the record feature. Can anyone tell me how this works...Thanks!

mox
Unregistered guest
Thanks Tech Guy. What is the latest firmware update for the lyra rd2780?

Tech Guy
Unregistered guest
N/P mox it's the Upgrade (Version 0.17.11) you can get it here: EI700561%2C00.html,http://www.rca.com/content/viewdetail/1,,EI700561,00.html make sure you read the instructions you can really mess up your lyra if you don't do it right. Another thing it will really help if you would sub categorizes your songs. Limiting them to 300 per folder I found that to really help on mine.

And Halo Guy I posted a note about recording above, read that and if you have any questions shoot them at me.

asdfasdfasdf
Unregistered guest
umm that actual latest version is 0.18.1 and it runs fantastic on my Lyra

Unregistered guest
where is somewhere i can go to get my battery replaced, i bought my RCA Lyra rd2780 on ebay and the battery life only last about 1/2 an hour while playing videos. It is very annoying seeing as how i cant watch a whole video. Also mine did not come with the car power adaptor, does anyone know where i can get one. Thnks

jroku
Unregistered guest
ive read all the postings after i purchased an item on ebay and my question is, is it worth the headache or shall i cut my loses and re-sale it?

Bronze Member
Username: Freeringtones

Post Number: 54
Stay AWAY from Edonkey it is the most evil vile disgusting program I have ever encountered. Use LimeWire instead.

Tech Guy
Unregistered guest
JonM you really don't know what you're talking about.
Emule and Edonkey are the BEST file share programs around. They host the cleanest hash links for file sharing then any other program. And easier to use the Bi-torrent Limewire/kazza/barshare may be easier to use but it's FULL of viruses and spyware and you never get what you want. Emule and Edonkey offer hash links which make sure you get the file that you want by hosting the hash links at hash sites like: www.shareprovider.com Limewire can only offer Names, now you can NAME a virus anything. You can't name a virus a hash link that you KNOW is the file you want. Plus the visibility of being caught files sharing on Emule or Edonkey is substantially less then LimeWire/kazza/bareshare. On the Donkey your ID is Hash code that changes. On Limewire/kazza/bareshare it uses your IP address to identify you. Now which do you think is safer? You probably just don't know how to use Emule and that's why you're trashing it. It's definitely not for dummies. It takes a person who is actually willing to read the instructions. Go to www.emule-project.net and read the instructions then run it. I'm sure you'll be impressed. Besides Emule is were I get all of my CLEAN movie AVI's for to convert for my Lyra.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 55
Excuse me,
I installed Edonkey, Microsoft AntiSpyware AND AVG Pro BOTH detected it as virus RIDDEN and I downloaded it from Donkey Dung DIRECTLY.

After installation I had NO Internet, and nothing I could do could repair it.

I had to FORMAT my entire computer to get rid of it. Don't try and tell me I am an idiot either I have more knowledge about computers, hardware, virii, security, and software than you and your teacher put together.

Take your chances people, eDonkey is Donkey Dung!

Tech Guy
Unregistered guest
JonM like I said you REALLY don't know what you're talking about. People think because they can build a computer and format a drive that there a Computer tech. I'm sorry Jon there's more to then that. I'm sure every problem you had was caused by your own SMART self. Reason being you tell me why millions of people WORLD WIDE have figured out how to use the Edonkey and Emule and Love it! (Heaven forbid if there smarter then you.)Like I said it's the Best Hash link share program I've EVER come across. And believe me john I have been around the block a few times.

It does you no good to call names and point fingers because you couldn't get past your self to figure out a new technology. When you say Edonkey and Emule are as you said is "DONKY DUNG!" you basically make a statement that me along with millions of people world wide that uses the software are wrong. Are you really willing to make a statement that bold because you think your smarter then us? Really john I hope not because that's just being cynical. And Jon it does you no good to say you allegedly picked up a virus while downloading donkey to your PC. That makes a direct insult to the Edonkey site administrators (heaven forbid if there smarter then you). My advices to you Jon think before you open your mouth. You may be smart but it's obvious that you don't understand the technology so save your comments.

If you have any further comments please email me. This forum is for helping people that have problems with there Lyra not for arguing.
Good day.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 56
Folks, just because a program is downloadable for free from the Internet, does not automatically certify it as safe or free of spyware or viruses. There are thousands of programs downloadable containing nasty viruses, or malicious spyware code, trojan horses, you name it. They come in all shapes and forms, from file sharing programs, to screensavers, to msn messenger smileys. My experience has demonstrated to me that Donkey Dung is one of them and I will steer clear of it in the future.

I'm Not trying to argue, or start a flame war like you are, just merely stating the facts.

P.S. Did you know the more times you say donkey dung in this thread, the better the chance eDonkey will be #1 in Google for "donkey dung"?

You better watch your tongue.

As far as me not knowing the technology, I wrote my own private bittorrent client my friends and I use, so take your thoughtless insults back.

Dung Donkey

l2en
Unregistered guest
i've had my lyra2780 for about a year and a half. i have absolutely no problems playing/recording songs, vids, or pics. It works great. There is one bug that really makes me mad though. Even though it plays all of my songs, the very first song you play has to be one of about ten specific files. If you the first song you play isn't one of these ten songs it will freeze for at least two or three minutes, try to load, then go back to the audio menu screen. If you start with one of these ten specific songs it will play in succession, normal or random, perfectly fine. Why can't it initially play ANY song???

Email me sta64tle@hotmail.com

Thank You!

l2en
Unregistered guest
And also, just today i wiped out my lyra and reinstalled the firmware and reloaded all my files, the shuffle mode does not work for playlists, i'm sure i'll find more bugs like this in the days to come

l2en
Unregistered guest
And also, just today i wiped out my lyra and reinstalled the firmware and reloaded all my files, the shuffle mode does not work for playlists, i'm sure i'll find more bugs like this in the days to come

l2en
Unregistered guest

Anonymous

hi im having trouble with recording straight from the t.v r dvd with the lyra 2780 can u give me some basic steps please thank you

Tech Guy
Unregistered guest
Anonymous read my post above about recording

I2en try diversifying your songs. Separate them into folders of 300 each. That should really help out.

mjvss21
Unregistered guest
does anyone know where i can get a new battery for my rd 2780 and how much they cost, mine wont hold its charge for more then an hour

Anonymous

I want a way to rip dvds straight from the back of a dvd player to the lyra, but it out smarts me and tells me that it is illegal to record what I am trying to record. Does anybody know of a way around it.

Unregistered guest
my lyra has the usb safe mode problem. Im in the uk, and ive called rca and they have said that they cannot replace it because i am in the uk. Any ideas what i can do?

gdrg x vbvb
Unregistered guest
i have only just purchased a lyra, and i dont have a clue how to record of the tv i got it of ebay and it didnt have a manual so i was wondereing if one of u guys could give me a step to step guide thanx.

l2en
Unregistered guest
heh i bought mine from circuit city and it didn't come with a manual. you have to download it from rca. go to http://www.rcaaudiovideo.com/Cultures/en-US/ModelDetail.html?PCI=Lyra+Portable+M ultimedia&ProductID=RD2780 and click the link for the instruction book at the bottom

l2en
Unregistered guest
you can record right from your dvd player, there's a trick. start the dvd and have the lyra ready to record. d/c the input into the lyra after about four seconds, then after 7 or 8 more seconds plug it back in =]. the # of seconds may vary by dvd player. the trick is to bypass the protection by the dvd player in those precious few seconds. then as soon as you've plugged the input in, hit record. you might have to try it a few times to get it down.

Tech Guy
Unregistered guest
hey guys tech Guy again looks like some of you are having trouble recording again so i'm going to re post my recording instructions that i had above enjoy:-)

With the Lyra you have 2 options. One is recording directly to it from a VCR TV or DVD player. Two is to convert video in you're computer and transfer it.

Option 1 Recording
Step 1 just connects directly to the TV/VCR/DVD player. Using the conversion cables it came with.
Step 2 set the Audio. It's a good Idea to not blast it into the Lyra. Set it fairly low to avoid the distortion. Another good idea to limit distortion is to NOT run the DVD player through the TV. Instead connect directly to the DVD/VCR for movies.
Step 3 as most of you know the Lyra wont record copy righted material. But there is a trick to it. The Lyra only picks up or looks for the copyrighted signal for 10 seconds. So to get around it you need to let it record nothing for 10 seconds. So try sitting at the "play movie screen" for 10 seconds then push play on the DVD/VCR and it should work fine. In some cases you may need to record a blank screen.
Step 4: stop it at the end of the movie so you don't make the file bigger then it has to be!

Option 2 Video Compression
In my opinion it's a little harder but makes the video compression look a whole lot nicer. There are quite a Few ways to do this with hundreds of different kinds of software available.

Step1: get the AVI. If you're doing this from a DVD you first need to convert the DVD to an AVI. The best way I have found to do this is to use the software "DVD2AVI" you can download it free from: http://www.dvd2dvd.org/
Another good place to get already Pre-converted AVI's is to go to www.shareprovider.com and download the movie links into Emule or Edonkey and download them via the donkey networks. (But this is only for those who don't have a problem with getting movies for free :-)

Step2: after you get the AVI you need to turn it into an MPEG2. The simplest way I have found to do this is to use WinMPG Video Convert v5.6. Just go to: http://www.winmpg.com/ and download it. Here you have two options you can pay the 30 bucks for a registration code so you can convert things. Or you could visit a friendly site called www.serials.ws and search for the Registration key for the software. Then a little copy and past and you have some free software.

Step3 just open WinMPG and select the AVI to VCD option. (I tried them all but for some reason the AVI to MPEG option doesn't work) then select the input file (browse to your AVI) then select the Output file (save it in another folder) push convert. After that it gives you two options PAL or NTSF. I select PAL because it looks better but both work. After its done converting just transfer it to the LYRA and you're done!

There is also TMPGEnc its great software that can convert AVI's to Mpeg2's with great compression. its a little more complicated but here's how to do it:

Going in from the wizard in TMPGE. First you need to select NTSC under Video-CD then hit next. int the 2nd screen input your AVI. Make sure the audio is compatible as well. (if the audio isn't compatible you'll need to clean up the AVI using another program like WinMPG Video Convert v5.6) then push next. 3rd go down and select "Other Settings" make sure the size is at 352 by 240 and set the "Motion search precision" to "highest quality very slow" then go to audio and select stereo and set the "sampling frequency" to: 32000 and that's it! Just hit next and select an out put folder and you're done! If you have any questions let me know

nore
Unregistered guest
i was thinking of getting the lyra, but i wasn't sure if it's worth it. i read a lot of problems that people have. is that the lyra or just that these people are having trouble understaning how to use it? so do you think it's a good buy? thanks for any advice

PB&J
Unregistered guest
Nore the Lyra is a great buy. its just not for stupid people. The only real problem is learning how to convert video and the USB error which is easy to avoid and not hard to fix.

krnmythicx
Unregistered guest
hey i'm planning on buying a RCA Lyra RD2780, but i'm not too sure if i should spend that much money on it. My major concerns are the battery life and durablity of the product. Could someone give me feedback about the durablity such as would it withstand the impact of being dropped on the floor as well as the buttons being secure and not shaky. Also is there a way to get a battery that will make the lyca run longer?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 98
Pros: Everything is included, works per specifications
Cons: Some features are not yet enabled

Pros: Fantastic Screen in bright light; includes all accessories; price
Cons: Software not done yet; pixelation of dark areas; strange placement of buttons

Pros: 20GB Hard Drive Easy file transfer Stores and plays: Videos, Photos, MP3's, Files
Cons: movie format can be a pain menu system could be designed better

Pros: Nice specs, full set of accessories, cables, case, etc.
Cons: Horrible sound quality, hard-to-use interface.

Pros: Bright Screen, built in kickstand, Comes with the accessories.
Cons: Beta testing on the public, not a great idea.

Pros: Great interface, easy to hook up and use, great sound quality. EXCELLENT for the price.
Cons: 4 hours battery life, poor musicmatch software, limited video capability.

Pros: Very portable good value for money personal Digital Video Recorder/Player. UPDATE proves reliable
Cons: Disk glitch flashes, below DVD resolution, UPDATE Still waiting for PAL fixes

Pros: good looking screen. holds 20GB. Video record feature is nice.
Cons: FATAL ERRORS every hour or so. Side buttons are awkward.

Anonymous

how do you create a playlist per folder?

eep
Unregistered guest
help
when i put in videos in my Lyra the sound and video arent synchronized

Tech Guy
Unregistered guest
Eep: its probably because the videos aren't compressed in MPEG2 or MPEG4. Read my post above about video compression.

smg240x
Unregistered guest
Is there any place to request features?

It'd be nice to be able to specify your recording time for movies that are like 2h 36min...it is sometimes a pain to stand around that long.

Patrick

mxquattro
Unregistered guest
Hi all. I recently picked up my Lyra 2780 and I have to say its been solid and entertaining. I see posts here saying that some features arent enabled but I dont have that issue, they all seem to work. Someone mentioned the inability to zoom into pictures but that works for me, 2x,4x etc.
Just thought Id add my 2 cents!

Username: Jonbenken

North Bay, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1
I have a refurbished 2780 and it is 3 months old...bought on ebay...recently the headphone jack on the player has become loose and i can't get a sound from my headphones i believe my limited warrany is up....any ideas on how to get this thing serviced?
Thanks jk

Plain User for almost 1 year
Unregistered guest
I read that the RD2780 is compatible with the remotes RCU800 / RCU600. Does any one have the codes to use on this remotes as well as what is the equivalent? (VCR, DVD, etc)

Thanks

eep
Unregistered guest
i have the same exact probablem as John Ken. i bought it at ebay, its refurbished, three months are up, and the headphone jack is screwed up. i have to push on one side to make it work. What can i do???
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us