Thomson Lyra PDP2840 Help Please!

Username: Beattie_uk

LiverpoolEngland

Post Number: 1
My Lyra jukebox is only about 2 months old and was working fine until a few days ago.

Now the thing wont turn on, it freezes on the 'Thomson Lyra' screen and just stays like that for 10-15 mins then turns off.

I tried upgrading the firmware but the computer wont recognise the player anymore :-(

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks in advance

Unregistered guest
These things suck... 2 months old, try 1 1/2 days old and it doesn't work... "bad or missing lyra_sys folder. must update the lyra HD system files"... that is the error I get. Computer doesn't recognize it and it says the drive needs formatting now but I can't format it... what the hell... I've listened to only two songs! What a rip... does anyone know how to fix????????

DKN2200
Unregistered guest
I also have this player. Luckily I got it free from a mate. He bought an Ipod instead as the Lyra is crap! The sound volume is limited due to crappy EU standards (they don't want us to damage our hearing if we play it too loud!)

I turned the thing on and it permanently freezes on the hourglass. Can't even turn it off! RUBBISH!!

I read that if upgrading the firmware you should have the Lyra plugged into the mains.
What firmware update did you use?

Unregistered guest
Hi peeps i had the same problem, It kept on freezing n stuff so i rang up thomson helpline and give them an ear bashing and coz they couldnt fix it they give me a new one.

By the way does anyone no if different headphones will make my music sound louder coz these things do play terribly low music i gota say cheers :-)

Taylor Sullivan
Unregistered guest
OMG. I dont even know what happened to mine. -.- :'(

Anonymous

:-(

sambo
Unregistered guest
Thats good guys. Mine lasted 5 mins. The start button got stuck and won't come out! can't even turn the thing on now!

Unregistered guest
yea i need help my sound goes like loud 4 the first ten seconds then jus goes low these things r fukin sh*t help

Anonymous

"bad or missing lyra_sys folder. must update the lyra HD system files"

i keep getting this too and i dont know why :-( it wont even turn on now it just comes up with this message! its been fine otherwise though for like a year and a half. i often found that it froze too, but it says in the instructions that when this happens u just need to press the reset button, and that worked fine for me.

tomal
Unregistered guest
Bought one yesterday. Program kept freezing up on my pc. Eventually got all my CD's loaded, but when I tried to send them to my Lyra the thing went bottom up..........blank screen.....dead as a dodo. It was the PDP2842 model 20Gb. Seemed to be a bargin at £99 from Comet.
Took it back to day and got my money back
MORAL to Story "Not everything is the bargin you think it is"

wvjk
Unregistered guest
can someone tell me how to upload from my 30gb ipod to my itunes. i know it not supposed to be able to be done but i have my doubts

ROBONZOLA
Unregistered guest
I HAVE LYRA 20GB AND HAVE HAD NO PROBLEMS I THINK IT IS MINT, JUST COZ U AMMATURES DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT COMPUTERS!

YASBOSE
Unregistered guest
I H8 THIS FORUM IT IS SIHT AND YOU ARE FCUKING MORONS ALL OF U AND PROBABLY PAEDOPHILES

Parky
Unregistered guest
bought a pdp2842 for my girlfriends birthday in January. Had no trouble with it at all....yet anyway. Fom what i've read here, you lot have given me the sh*ts about it. Thanks alot!

Noob Basher
Unregistered guest
Who the hell is that retard? grow up please little chav boy. Also learn how to spell please.

Anonymous

lol, i think its funny that someone calls people amateurs who cant even spell the word... "ammatures" and "fcuking".

LOL

What a NOOB. Im sorry, but it had to be said

Anonymous

looks like the only word he can spell correctly is "Paedophile"...

He obviously gets used to writing his dads name a lot....

haha

LOLLAGE
Unregistered guest
ROFL, funny how he posted under the name Robonzola, then posted 1 minute later under the name YASBOSE calling everyone on the forums paedophiles, including himself as he posted 1 minute before hand, well played mate.

LOLLAGE
Unregistered guest
ROFL, funny how he posted under the name Robonzola, then posted 1 minute later under the name YASBOSE calling everyone on the forums paedophiles, including himself as he posted 1 minute before hand, well played mate.

Anonymous

downloaded a song off coca cola onto pdp2842 stopped the song halfway through listening to it and it froze on the hourglass. will it eventually reset itself or is it buggered???

Man from the north
Unregistered guest
I just spent the best 5 months of my life as an exchange student in Berlin. I saved all my precious photos in my new Thomson Lyra PDP2842... Bad BAD mistake!!!!!! Suddenly the USB doesn't work, the computer can't find the drive. I tried it on different computers, windows versions and cables and then took it to the store: "Nothing can be done!" If I send it to the manufacturer, they'll propably just send me a new one. Bye bye photos. Damn I'm pissed off!!!

essex man
Unregistered guest
Does anyone have a contact number for these tossers as there are none on the instruction manual and none of the web sites are of any use

spadra
Unregistered guest
My Lyra Jukebox PDP2840 has hardly been used, but now the display does not show anything even with the power unit connected. Reset and on/off button has no effect. I can only hear the hard disk spinning when power unit is connected. Can I replace the battery? Can anyone help please.

Baloki
Unregistered guest
If it gets stuck on the loading screen the battery is probably low, just shove it on charge for a few hours via the plug then hook it up to the computer via the USB port, without turning on the player first.

I've had no real trouble with mine, had a minor problem with the system files when Windows media player went nuts on it and tried to wipe the poor thing but I just used the CD that came with it. Also the sounds not that quiet, remember its limited at 100 decibles and a plane taking off is 110.

Hope that helps ^_^

silvershearman
Unregistered guest
i had the same problem. kept freezeing on the hour glass. so i took it back to comet, who called me a liar and that it did work. they finally agreed to send it off and look at it (to 'check that it is broken'!?) and they said that id get it back in a week. a month later i finally got it back, it then said the lyra_sys file was missing and told me to install it again. so i tryed that and now it wont even turn on! stupid peice of crap (k ill get off my soap box now)

Anonymous

The only problem with the Thompson Lyra is that it is that people keep getting the error "ID 10 T"....this device is NOT idiot proof. It will let any end user delete system files. Then the user says, "DUH, I DON'T KNOW WHY THIS CRAPPY THING DOESN'T WORK...DUH". I work on a help desk but not for Thompson and I have learned one thing....the average person is an idiot and will blame electronics before themselves...take ownership of your own mistakes and suck it up princess!!!

Anonymous

If you deleted system files in Windows XP would you blame IBM for selling you a crappy computer....If you delete system files.....things go bad....and people start yelling at Thompson reps....I have had my Thompson lyra for 2 years now and have had NO issues...except that it is a little big for an MP3 player but thats what you get if you want a high res. video recoreder too....NO PROBS....Sucks 2 B U.....

Unregistered guest
My PDP2840U broke within 6 months...the battery EXPANDED!! the whole thing went even bigger..yes it got bigger than it already is, sent it back, got a brand new one for no cost. but now this one has broke aswell, dripped little bit of water on the button, and now the water is on the screen on the inside!! waste of money, and when i got it it was £180!! pffft!

shropshire_lad
Unregistered guest
My PDP2840U broke within 6 months...the battery expanded causing the case to swell. I drilled out the security screws, pulled it apart, and got the lithium ion polymer battery out, which eventually burst spilling gunge. Jukebox still works, but needs an external power source!

To "Man from the north" - you should be able to get the hard drive out and connect it to a pc, to save your photos - it has a standard IDE connector.

BTW we also have a Thomson digi box - it keeps crashing. This is the future - when was the last time you saw an old analogue telly crash :-(

I shall never ever buy anything from Thomson again, their products are exceptionally unreliable (and I'm a software engineer). Complete and utter shite.

happy_rd2840_owner
Unregistered guest
I have a RD2840 RCA MP3 player since two years ago so I invested a lot of time saving thousand of mp3 files (around 6,000) and a couple of months ago I had the problem that somehow I was able to corrupt the data in hard drive, so I thought I lost everything (songs and mp3 player). I found out in ebay a guy that fixes Mp3 players along other electronics, and he was able to recover my files and have fixed my RD2840. You may contact him for the problems your are experiencing.

Ebay username = great_items_2004
link= http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZgreatQ5fitemsQ5f2004

Good luck.

Fallfan
Unregistered guest
My albums start on track 2 & the first track is final.
I have reinstalled firmware & got the "green thums up"
Starting to annoy me.

Anonymous

i have a lyra rd2840 i need a replacement battery i want to change it myself but i cant find a place that sells it heres the info 3.7v 1600mah rca # 355690 made by amperex tech. in asia HELP PLEASE

MJH8812
Unregistered guest
all i can say is thank god for my Windows ME computer. I had originally tried to format the drive (instead of erasing every file by hand, because i was lazy). In formatting the drive, it didnt "build" another one on my XP. So i tried everything, installing new firmware, and finding the original disk and installing that..but nothing worked. So i installed everything using the disk on my old Windows ME.
1) i (full) formatted the drive
2) i updated the firmware with the Lyra taskbar icon and bingo it worked.
And now it works fine again on my XP. But if you dont have an older computer with ME etc. RCA will probably tell u your out of luck. Anyways, I emailed RCA earlier (before I formatted on my ME), asking if there was software I could download. If they send me software Ill try and get it up on this board somehow.

Anonymous

I was going to buy one of these and thought I would read some reviews before buying. Thanks for the info - I going to spend my money down the pub. At least I will enjoy it before pis%&ng it down the toilet.

mjh8812
Unregistered guest
well its good once you download new firmware and stuff..only problem is its big..otherwise its not a bad investment

Lester8086
Unregistered guest
has anyone ever pulled out the hd inside and hooked that up to the computer directly
Also my kid plugged in the fm transmiters power cord into the recharge plu fore my rd2826a and it fried something any suggestions?

MikeScott
Unregistered guest
Hi All

I've been using a Lyra since they first came out to record the output of a camera system. Over 2 years it has got increasingly Glitchy, this seems to be mostly due to the rather iffy paddles on the front.

I must stress that no system files have been deleted and the Lyra has been well looked after.

Have opened the case a couple of times lately to clean the iffy switches and can conferm that the hard drive is easily removable for those that have data locked into a dead Lyra.

I would suggest getting a cheap drive caddy from ebay and plugging directly into the USB of your PC... the files should still be available as the PC will treat the drive as a removable storage device.

Such a shame as the Lyra worked well for me at first, but now its almost impossible to fast forward or rewind the video and if confused it will jump to a completely different video file.

I have to say that with all of these reported faults (not all can be due to the owners) Thompson/RCA should be ashamed of themselves especially as the device is still being sold on the high street.

Mike

Username: Indianmuzikguy

Hi fellas,

I also have a Lyra Jukebox 20 GB model and within 6 months my PC cannot recognize this as a drive if I connect it using USB... any clues?

Unregistered guest
If anyone needs original Thomson spares or repairs to there lyras in the UK, then feel feel to email me. If you unit is still under warranty, then please take it back to where you purchased it from, for repair or replacement, or if you cant take it back due to the store you got it from are no longer around etc, then contact Thomson Multimedia UK who will help you.

Anonymous

Re low volume on european Lyras - this is actually in the firmware (put in by EU edict). On older models at least you could load the RCA mp3 executable that can (or could) be found on the US RCA site to get round this problem. Note this "safety" feature also causes sudden reductions in volume shortly after a track starts.

Nyree
Unregistered guest
Wot the hell is happening

Mine broke 2 days after my birthday...:-(

Username: Jeter002ss

Stroudsburg , PA US

hello.....i was charging RCA lyra 2840 in the car using the AC adapter that is 5.5 volts. i then placed another one in the cigarrette lighter jack to charge something else. i ended up putting the lyra into that charger by mistake tried turning it on and it wouldnt...now it will not work at all...any ideas of what could have happened?

Anonymous

the best way to save your files from this is to buy a laptop ide connector cable at your local pc store for like 5-10 us dollars then you have to open up the unit and disconnect the hd inside.
I c an elaborate further
jeffersonbb@yahoo.com

angeline
Unregistered guest
Hi, Mine's working OK, apart from the fact that it only works when it is plugged into the power source. It won't power up without it in. The back has a bulge in it, so as a previous poster pointed out, the battery must have expanded inside.

Username: Bobha

Post Number: 2
My Lyra RD2315 has gone crazy,
Titles dissapearing in Mysel...
I tryed creating Selection list and it doesn't keep the information it pick songs randomly.
As recommended by RCA I used Musicmatch to create a playlist, The musicmatch software copies it but, it doesn't even show on the player anywhere. When scrolling into MySel the song titles dissapear from the list...

I upgraded the firmware and the Lyra application, I still have the same problem.

any ideas?

ninjakarl
Unregistered guest
How in the hell are you supposed to open up the RCA Lyra 2840?!? The screws at the bottom don't do squat.
Also, I have the "missing Lyra_sys" problem and i'm unable to format the damn thing so I can re-install the firmware.
I bought this off a mate so I don't know if screaming at the people from RCA would help. Any ideas?

boobman
Unregistered guest
Can someone tell me how to reset my lyra jukebox please. lost instructions. This thing is driving me nuts!
Keep getting bad or missing lyra_sys folder must update... bla bla fookin bla. thankyou please

Username: Pannman

Post Number: 2
i have a lyra 2780 i am trying to record movies off my dvd player but cant remember how to get past the copyright protect can anyone help please?

Username: Pannman

Post Number: 3
boobman go to rca.com you will have to navigate to the page that supports your jukebox. there should be help there

Username: Boobman

nice 1. cheers mate

Username: Wookee

I have the same problem like spadra. Can someone tell me how to open it. What im I supposed to do when i take out the screws?

Username: Spacegroover

Hi,

I bought the Lyra 2840 20GB
I wonder from which year this is drivers only for Windows Milennium & 98.

Anyone knows where to find XP drivers?
Sometimes my pc doesn't recognize the jukebox.

Anyone knows how to see the firmware version on it?

40FWUpgrade_v161 is the latest firmware on the site, what's better then the old ?

Thanks!
Spacegroover

Bronze Member
Username: Bobha

Post Number: 21
SpaceGroover,

You can find an answer at Fixya.com
They really helped me.

http://www.fixya.com/technical-support/171487/Thomson-Lyra-PDP2840U-MP3-Player.aspx

Good Luck

Username: Leawes

hey guys

My Lyra pdp2842 is no longer recognised by my system, it doesnt seem to realise where the drivers are. Do you know the driver names, so I can point it in the right direction?

I really need some of the data, so I would love if you guys knew of a way to get it back. I only need to get it operational long enough to recover one very important file. I don't really care for the rest, it's all downloadable.

I bow and beg to you all for aid.

Username: Karlg

i knocked mine into the sink, luckily i managed to get my music offa it. i'm gonna try an get a new of comet as i'm stil under warranty. but once i get it its gettin sold, as i had the freezing problem a few times.

Username: Stuzi

Post Number: 3
i have the same problem..windows wont recognize it and i have a ton of homemade p/o/r/n on it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us