Archive through March 08, 2005

Username: Mattbash243

Stevens point, Wisconsin United states

Post Number: 1
my ipod is acting weird it wont to the menu or go back at all it is stuck on a play list and i tried shut it off and back on over and over gain but it wont do anything it just stays on the playlist

Unregistered guest
I've just bought an i-pod 40gb and it won't link to my pc what am i doing wrong

Unregistered guest
help! i just got a mini ipod and i set up itunes and i already have songs on my ipod but when i put a cd in, i can't seem to put the songs from the cd onto itunes? HELP!

ananymous
Unregistered guest
i got an ipod and hooked it up to my computer but the songs from my iTunes playlist dont tranfer to my ipod

Unregistered guest
I am having problems seeing files that are on my iPod on my PC

Unregistered guest
I had copied about a hundred songs on my I-pod, and my brother installed his I-pod the other day and now I can't find my music. If I add music onto his name, will I lose all my previous songs that I have on my I-pod

Unregistered guest
I just got my ipod. And i'm new with mp3s. So im clueless on this problem. The problem is that every time i plug in my ipod it tells me i need to format it but if i do it, it will erase all the memory on it , and it has about 3,000 songs already in it when i bought it used.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 2313
AJG,
What is the operating system that the old owner used for the iPod? If you are not using the same operating system,i.e., the old owner used a MAC and you have a windows based sysetm, or vice versa, you will have to reformat.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2314
spadd,
Go to the display iPod options, click on the iPod tab and check the "manually manage songs and playlists".

Unregistered guest
iv had my ipod for 6 months now, i already had music on my ipod, just recently when i added more on itunes the old music had exclamation marks next to them and on my ipod it would just play the newly added music and not the old, it just skipped past it.

Unregistered guest
i got a 20gb ipod for christmas and when I try to play and import my cd's in itunes, it makes a scratching noise. i've tried everything I can but nothing works.

Username: Dangumjessum

California USA

Hey, ive always had luck running Scandisk on my old Archos player and recently got an iPod (for $40, by the way!, click here - http://www.power2source.com/index.php?ref_id=6030)but i think that you should be able to run scandisk out of Windows when your Ipod is docked...Goodluck!

Unregistered guest
Help! I have many audio files on my ipod and have no clue how to place them in the audio book file thats built in the ipod, that way I can listen to shuffle and I don't have hear a audio book tracks between songs. thanks for any help........

Unregistered guest
Help please!!! received a 40gb ipod for Christmas loaded 2000 songs on prior to leaving and then emigrated from UK to Australia. Arrived in Aus and songs were on there. went to load more songs onto the ipod and all songs went missing from the ipod. Now all that is there is a folder with an exclaimation mark on it. the warranty was lost in the move and apple wont help? can anybody else? please?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2388
If the ipod was set to automatic update, the ipod would automatically cross reference the songs on your ipod to the songs you have on your computer. If the songs are not on the computer, it will automatically erase those songs on the ipod.
The exclamation marks mean that it tried to locate those marked songs on your computer and they were not found and it automatically erased them.
For this not to happen, you have to change your preferences to "manually manage songs".

If you have the same computer that you used to load the songs onto your ipod, all you have to do is "import file" or "import folder" to your "library" and the computer will automatically load all those songs back to your ipod.
The missing songs is not apple's fault that is why they won't help.

MACtas
Unregistered guest
help!! My music won't copy onto my ipod!! I connect it in and it says copying music but then a few seconds later it says OK to disconnect,. I updated firmware and updaed itunes to 4.7.1 help.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2438
connect the ipod, wait for the update.
click on the ipod icon on the right corner of itunes.
click on preferences.
click on automatically manage music.

close itunes
restart itunes
go to the left side of itunes and click on library.
if you have music in there, it will be transferred to your ipod.
now click on "my ipod" or whatever name you designated your ipod and see if there is music in there... you should have a list that will show up but they are not highlighted.
do all this and let me know where the hang up is.

cheers

Unregistered guest
I got a 20 gig for Christmas, and I've got close to 650 songs on there right now... but all the music files on my computer is not flyin' with my mom. If I get rid of them, I I-pod gets rid of them too when I connect it. Would changing the setting to "Manually Manage" songs enable me to put the songs on the ipod, delete the file on the computer, but still be able to later load songs onto my ipod without it mirroring my library and therefore erase my deleted files? ...And if so, how do you go about load specific songs on there without losing the old ones?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2463
yes, if you manually manage your files, all the files in the iPod stays until you erase them.

andrewhampton
Unregistered guest
My ipod wont charge, i cant turn it on...I just got it. Whats wrong? do I need a new battery?

Jakeroell
Unregistered guest
take it back to where you baught it from and tell them it wont turn on and you cant charge it and they will try and fix it and if not they give u a new one

thats wut happend to me

Unregistered guest
Berny, from what i am reading, you are the person to come to who has all the right answers.
So i have a question for you; i recently received an used Ipod, everything is fine with it except that the battery life is short cut (it runs for only 3 hours when fully charged)
I have replacement Apple Ipod Slim Li-Ion Battery, but i refuse to intsall it myself, ie. I Dont Know What The Hell I Am Doing *lol*
So the question remains, what and where should i begin the process of finding a technician to intsall the new battery? (i live in the NYC area)

Anonymous

Ok, one day out of the blue I connected my ipod to update and my computer crashed. I don't know what happened it just messed up. so I disconnected the ipod restarted the comp and tried again. it didnt crash this time its just that itunes didnt recognise my ipod was connected. I updated itunes to 4.7 and tried again and again but it said my ipod was not connected, which it was. So what do I do? reinstall itunes from the cd?(if I can find it) will this action cause me to lose all my songs? please help I don't kow what to do.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2473
prodigious1
Try Best Buy or you can e-mail, the Ipod folks for instructions on how to replace the battery.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2474
Your songs should not disappear. First, check where your music is and verify that they are still in your computer. Make a backup file then re-install the iTunes.

Unregistered guest
i manually manage the songs on my 15 gb ipod on itunes, but my computer recently crashed and i had to reinstall, losing all of my files. when i hook up my ipod to my computer, the songs show on itunes, but i cant find teh actual files to load back onto my computer. its almost as if the songs are there, but not the actual mp3 files

Gold Member

Post Number: 2476
Is it still on the iPod? If it is, you can just transfer the music from your iPod to the computer.

Unregistered guest
My ipod connects to the computer, but in itunes it does not register it is hooked up. What should I do?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2480
Remove iTunes.
Then re-install.
Don't forget to back up your music files.

moonshine9
Unregistered guest
Brand New 20GB 3rd Gen replacement Ipod (last one developed bad habits). When I connect it by firewire it won't come up in itunes (4.7.1) or on the desktop. Reset it, and tried reloading many times but no change. Any tips?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2512
Your computer can't detect it?
Make sure that the firewire controller is functioning or enabled.
If everything is good...return the defective unit.

DLR
Unregistered guest
Just received 20gb IPOD. Connected to laptop to laod software and told that it needed to be fomatted. 12 hours later it's still doing it!
Message on laptop is "waiting for ipod", message on IPOD is "do not disconnect"......any idea how long I just sit here? No details found on web for formatting problems!

Anonymous

Is there a way to recover your songs once they are erased from your ipod?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2527
DLR,
If you are using XP, go to the lower right corner of your screen and click on the safely remove hardware icon and it will identify your iPod. After that, the message should disappear.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2528
Anonymous,
If you erased from your iPod and it is no longer on your computer, it is gone.

Nikki
Unregistered guest
I just got a 20GB iPod and I connected it to my laptop, said it needed to be formatted and its taking a really long time, about an hour now. My laptop says waiting for iPod and the iPod says do not disconnect. i tried following the advice above by choosing safely remove hardware, but it says it cant so try again later. what do i do?

SteveInCalif
Unregistered guest
I have Nikki's problem, too. Please help us.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2537
try this
open iTunes
Go to the icon that says "eject iPod"
After that, you shouldn't be able to see your iPod on the iTunes desktop.
Then do the "safely remove hardware".

sirking
Unregistered guest
All those list above are much to large! I believe in the system but you have to find fresh sites with empty lists!

Here is one where you can get for sure a free X-box ( when I subscribed there were 2 members in list )

MartiniMama
Unregistered guest
In learning how itunes works I deleted a music file from my computer. It is still on my ipod. I have set my ipod to manual so it would't be delete. But I would like to go back to auto update. Is there anyway to get the song back into itunes so I can go back to auto updating?

lak4
Unregistered guest
I have a 40GB iPod and just bought an 20GB iPod for my boyfriend, who is leaving for Iraq. I have imported 1,500 songs on my iTunes that I would like to put on his. I charged up his iPod, played his install CD, registered his iPod, and then iTunes had trouble recognizing the iPod (sometimes it would and sometimes it wouldn't) and would not transfer any music. The iPod finally stopped responding and flashed an error file. He leaves in a couple of days, so we took it back and exchanged it for a new one. Can you please give me instructions on installing his new iPod on my computer, so I don't repeat the previous mistakes. Do I have to erase all of my iPod and iTunes information, before I install his? Do I use his install CD? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2568
If you already have iTunes on your computer, DO NOT, install another program on top.
The problem is that you probably already have an updated iTunes and when you installed another one using the CD, you will cause a conflict.

You can use multiple iPods on 1 iTunes software, you just have to give each individual iPod a name so the computer can recognize it as a different machine.

So, what you do is just put the new iPod on the cradle that you use for the other and it will prompt you on what you need to do next.

Keep posting and let me know how you are faring. I know what its like...I've been to the sandbox quite a few times. Make sure he's got a lot of ziplock baggies and rubbers (non-lubricated) ...and no, the rubbers are not for personal use...you need it to cover the business end of his rifle.

lak4
Unregistered guest
Thanks for your great advice (on everything). I will try it out ASAP. Do I have to have any particular settings for my iTunes before I connect his iPod?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2570
none that I know of.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2571
oh here's how to do that
Look in your computer's Help documentation to learn how to set up additional user accounts. To locate this information, do the following:

Click the Start Menu, and then point to Help or Help and Support.
Enter new user in the Search field.
Press Return.
If you create multiple user accounts on one computer but want the same music to be available in iTunes for all users, see "iTunes: How to share music between different accounts on a single computer."

Gold Member

Post Number: 2572
Martinimama,
Unfortunately with iPod, you cannot transfer the music back to your computer. It is only a oneway transfer. So always make sure that you have a backup copy of your songs.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2573
Martinimama,
Unfortunately with iPod, you cannot transfer the music back to your computer. It is only a oneway transfer. So always make sure that you have a backup copy of your songs.

Sonny
Unregistered guest
Its possiable to take music off an Ipod on windows xp(havnt tried it with any other os's). just change the file view options so you can see hidden files. Then open your ipod up in my computer (explore) and you can see all your MP3s.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2612
Try it...but like I said the transfer is only 1 way. However, you can use the iPod as a hard drive and you can transfer files in and out. So go from there. I haven't tried that, I only use the iPod for music.

mahimahi
Unregistered guest
I have an ipod 20 gb and have itunes set on manual. im just woried that if i reformat my computer and reinstall itunes that itunes will not recognize that i want to manually manage my ipod and will delete all my music. Will this happen? or is the automatically manage files written into the actual ipod?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2638
One reason why it is a good idea to back all your music files.

Once you re-install iTunes, you go to the preferences dialog and toggle on "manually manage songs". Do all of these before you actually dock your iPod. That way, you don't erase the files in the iPod.

Beezy
Unregistered guest
I got an 40G Ipod gor xmas, i also got a new computer. But the computer didnot come until today. when i hook up my new computer the old computer will disassimbled for parts. I am planning on reinstalling itunes on the new pc, but i have to 7.5G's and i dont want to have set for ever reinstall the music. how can i install on new computer with out reformating the Ipod?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2641
You don't have to reformat the iPod. You have to find a way to install your music from the old computer to the new computer. Do that first then we'll go from there.

Beezy
Unregistered guest
I havent been saving the music to my computer cause i only have 25G's totaol space and i dont want to use all my space for my Ipod. if i install the new itune on the new computer, it wont erase the ones that i have then? cause i had it installed on my moms computer and when i installed it to this on it erased the hard drive. i just want to make sure that it wont do that again. Thanks

Gold Member

Post Number: 2642
Just be very careful that you do not have the iTunes on automatic update and you should be fine. But once you put it on automatic, all the music in your iPod is toast.

If you have 25 gig's worth of music make sure that you transfer all of it to the new computer. Borrow a portable hard drive if you can.

Unregistered guest
I have an iPod 40Gb. Have been loading up fine from CD's to Library and then to iPod. Yesterday, imported CD to library ok but itunes seemed to automatically copy to a SYS device. Previously when I connected the iPod it displayed it as a device under Library using my name. Now it shows up as SYS but songs won't copy to it. Any suggestions ?

Buttonsfly
Unregistered guest
Hi have a 40g iPod, it has been working fine with itunes, but now the computer has just stopped recognising it, i have reinstalled both itunes and ipod software, but did not let the computer configure the ipod, as i didn't want to wipe the music, i have my music backup to dvd so if i have to reconfigure the ipod i will, any suggestions please!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2660
victorghoti,
Have you tried resetting your iPod?

Buttonsfly,
Make sure that you have the latest version of iTunes. Then make sure that your cablea are still good...try using different ports on your computer, if available, to rule out connection problems.

Gemma Nicol
Unregistered guest
I have got a 15GB IPOD, BUT I HAVE NOT INSTALLED THE CD ONTO MY PC YET AND I HAVE NOW DISC0VERED HAT I HAVE LOST THE CD IS THERE ANY WAY IN WHICH I CAN GET SONGS ONTOT MY IPOD WITHOUT INSTALLING THE CD? CAN I DOWNLOAD THE STUFF I NEED FROM NE WHERE ELSE?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2664
You can go to apple.com website and download iTunes.

PassionLei
Unregistered guest
I have a 40gb ipod and I can't seem to get my itunes to import songs from a cd. When I insert a cd, my itunes doesn't load. I've only had itunes successfully read a cd once and it wouldn't import the songs. Can someone please help me?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2683
You have to configure the iTunes as your default player. Then you have to tell the iTunes where you want to import the cd that you rip.

Try this:
When you put in a music CD, right click on the drive where you have the CD. Then choose "open with"...from there you should get different choices and you can choose "iTunes". When that box opens you have an icon on the top right corner. When you mouse over that, it will say "import".

But you have to go to your preferences dialog and configure the iTunes player where to put the imported cd.

Username: Lena_smv

I seem to be having problems with connecting my iPod to my computer. The first time, iTunes said my iPod wasnt connected, although my iPod said "Do Not Disconnect" on the screen. It worked after a while, and i used transferred music twice. However, the last time i tried my iPod didnt seem to be connected to the computer, and iTunes says its not connected.

What should i do?! i need help!

Unregistered guest
I just got an ipod for christmas and recently it started freezing constantly. After i reseted it, the apple logo came up followed by a folder with an exclamation mark. My Ipod go back to the main menu anymore. Does anyone have any advice

krazykongo
Unregistered guest
is the ipod recognised as a mass storage device, so i can use it as a portable hard drive?

can i use the ipod without itunes when transferring songs?

can i store data files etc.. on my ipod and transfer to other pc?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2703
Elena,
First back up your music files. Then uninstall the iTunes Program. Restart the computer, install iTunes and update to the most current version.
Go through all the motions of installation then dock your iPod ONLY after the install. Check that your cables are not damaged in any way.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2704
Brien,
If you see an exclamation point on the iPod folder, it may have been reformatted. So, you need to make sure that when resetting, the iPod is not connected to the computer at all. To avoid problems, make sure that the software is installed and updated before docking the iPod. This is a common mistake...software first, THEN, dock.

Krazykongo,
Yes you can use the iPod as a mass storage device or a hard disk.

Yes you can transfer music without iTunes if you are using it as a mass storage device, but you will not be able to play them.

Unregistered guest
help - i turned on administrator settings with windows XP, setting up accounts for different users, and now my IPOD library has disappeared

Gold Member

Post Number: 2712
Can you still use iTunes?
If you can, just do a music files search and add to library.

Keri
Unregistered guest
I have the same problem as Nikki in the posting on January 22. I am formatting my device, and it is taking a LONG time. iTunes is not yet installed, as this formatting was required before installing iTunes... so I am not able to choose "Eject iPod". How can I safely remove hardware when Windows will not let it stop?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2738
Turn off the computer, then remove the iPod.
iTunes need to be installed first before doing anything with youriPod.

John Ricartoe
Unregistered guest
After reading all of your posts i realise that you want the software i used, it cost me £12 but was definately worth it, i recovered 100% of my songs - all 3376 of them and all the contacts and everything, it is a speacialist ipod recovery software have a look you might like it, but god it will save you all!!!

Anonymous

I am wondering if anyone knows how to transfer music that is already on my ipod to a new apple computer I recently purchased? Thanks

Gold Member

Post Number: 2754
Why don't you just transfer all the data from your old computer into the new one? Unless you were using a windows pased pc.

frodohcs
Unregistered guest
my ipod wont turn on or charge

Gold Member

Post Number: 2762
how old is it?

Username: Lynchdg

Hi, I recently purchased a 4th generation I-pod as a replacement for my 3rd gen model which was stolen. I was hoping I could just hook up my new I-pod to my existing I-Tunes library. However when I do connect it recognises the I-pod but claims that the software is not installed. If I attempt to Install the version of I-tunes I recieved with my second I-pod will it update, keeping my library or overwrite the existing I-tunes deleting all my songs. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2767
It shouldn't delete any of the songs. You are just updating the program. Just to be safe back up all your songs to a CD or DVD.

Username: Memmeeme

Ok, so I know this wasn't the smartest thing to do, but I was trying to move alot of stuff from one computer to another, so I tried using my iPod. I didn't have enough room, so I got rid of all the music in the music folder on the iPod, thinking I could just re-upload it. Now my iPod keeps cycling through the list of music that should be there, and doesn't connect to the computer anymore. Any suggestions?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2770
How were you able to erase the music in the iPod?

Post Number: 2
When it was hooked up to my pc, there was a hidden folder with the music folder in it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2775
Sorry for my confusion. Is the iPod completely empty of any music files? The music folder on your compuer is also gone, correct?

If you left the music on the iPod, you will not be able to transfer it back from the iPod to the PC. It is a one way transfer.

Post Number: 3
No, I deleted the music out of the music folder on the iPod itself, the music is still on my computer.

Gerald
Unregistered guest
Does anyone know a number to Apple because I broke my iPod and I want to know if I can get it replaced

Ladybug
Unregistered guest
Gerald if you go to apple.com it should list the number for you nearest store and the technical support number.

Steven Bernitt
Unregistered guest
I had to clear my computer of everything so my songs are gone. Is there a way to put the songs from my ipod back onto itunes?

Post Number: 4
Steven, you could try to do it the way I accidentally deleted all my songs and find the music folder on your iPod when its connected to the computer, and copy all the folders called F00, F01,...etc back to your computer.

Unregistered guest
i just got a mini ipod and i loaded everythiing on my computer and got a 2.0 usb card for my labtop but my computer wont recognize the ipod...it just keeps blinking "do not disconnect". ive tried uninstalling and installing itunes but nothing works. it happened to a person i know and they brought it back adn got a new one that worked fine..but i don't have a car so i was wondering if there was anyway to fix it without returning it.

Unregistered guest
After a hard drop to the floor, iPod had sluggish controls. After a reset, all songs were gone! After discharging iPod, controls are better, and computer recognized it, but loading song library stops after a few songs. Seems to load a few songs at at time, and then stops. Should I try a restore? Does iPod need servicing?

Unregistered guest
ok im like really close of buying a mini ipod but what im hearing from other people is that you could only use it on one computer and if i use it on another computer or itunes all my music will erase and im not even sure if i wanna buy it anymore cause i have only one computer that is really slow and cant get itunes into so what do i do???

Gold Member

Post Number: 2806
Get a different mp3 player. The iPod mini does not seem to be the one for you.

Unregistered guest
Hi,
First I really appreciate what you r doin here, so patient, i'm sorry if my questions have been asked before- but I did scroll up and down and didnt see the answer
I have the same problem as jason thomas and "anonymous", I just bought a mini and I have installed itunes and even bought music, But when I tried connectng both trhu my IEEE and USB port , the ipod said dont disconnect for like hours and finally I had to "safely remove hardware"- Th eject button didnt work either, and when I went to edit/preference/ ipod- said no ipod connected, what am i doin wrong?
Que 2 )Also I dont want all the songs on my comp in my ipod and by default they are all in my itunes.How do i prevent all rubbish songs from going on my ipod.
Thank you again, May the Ipod God bless u

CaseyL
Unregistered guest
My ipod wont update my songs. When I plug in my ipod on the ipod screen it says do not disconnect yet on my computer screen nothing is happening. There is no icon in the right corner showing an ipod, and it says that my ipod isnt connected even when it is. What should I do?

dhbtt
Unregistered guest
my ipod has frozen. i know how to reset it, but it will not reset, any idea what to do?

wawa
Unregistered guest
hello, my ipod is stuffed and won't turn on. i've done every thing but a sign with a folder and exclamation mark keeps showing up on screen. i have tried to reset, restore factory settings but nothing is coming up. please help me asap.

Unregistered guest
hello, my ipod is stuffed and won't turn on. i've done every thing but a sign with a folder and exclamation mark keeps showing up on screen. i have tried to reset, restore factory settings but nothing is coming up. please help me asap.

Unregistered guest
hey, today i went to turn on my ipod, and the apple screen came up, then it just froze. i have done both resets and hard resets and nohting seems to work. any ideas?

kat
Unregistered guest
i did the dumbest thing. i tinkered with the setting that automatically launches itunes when you connect your ipod. now itunes won't recognize my ipod!! so i can't upload any songs onto my ipod. i've tried reinstalling my itunes, but i'm still having the same problem. does anyone have any ideas? thanks!

Unregistered guest
i put my ipod into my computer and it said do not disconnect for hours, i then safely disconnected it and tried again, the same is happening and i dont know how to fix it, if anyone can help please do

Username: Itisnteasy

i have a 40gb ipod and when i turn it on, the 6000 songs i have loaded on it do not show up under the songs, artists, album, etc. icons, however, when i look under settings, the capacity still shows that I have 11GB remaining, 25GB used. Does that mean that the songs are still trapped in the ipod? I can see the songs when I connect the ipod to the computer, they show up, but when i try to access them on the ipod, storage hasn't changed, but i cannot get to them, any ideas??thanks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us