What are the best sounding mp3 players?

Bronze Member
Username: Cheapskate

Post Number: 98
i'm curious as to what mp3 players have the highest fidelity. i read a favorable review for ipods in stereophile because they can handle "full cd fidelity" with aiff files. (why not use standard pcm?)

in a consumer review i glanced at online, the reviewer cites a couple of other brands as having higher fidelity than ipods. (i-river?)

i don't care about headphone quality at all, just highest fidelity d/a converters and headphone amps along with high resolution formats. i'd rather have 4 hours of cd fidelity than a million hours of crappy compressed mp3 any day.

i want dvd-a sacd fidelity, not lower fidelity.

are there any sites that review mp3 players or have any of you read any serious head to head comparisons etc.?

thanks in advance to anyone with more info.

Perpetuus
Unregistered guest
I am currently using a Philips HDD120 audio jukebox:

http://www.doyourthing.philips.com/hdd120_detail.cfm

It's got 20 gigabytes and is sufficient for my needs. One of the reasons I got it to begin with was because of its audio quality, which was excellent on paper and excellent according to many reviews. For instance, it has a Total harmonic distortion of 0.01 to 0.1%, which is pretty good. However,it does lack a good pc-end software though, but they do give you what you need, just don't expect anything too fancy. Also, it can be used as a usb harddrive (no drivers are needed). The specs are available here for anyone who wants to take a look:

http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/h/hdd120_17/hdd120_17_pss_aen.pdf

And it's a great alternative to the all too common ipod too, but please do you homework before you go ahead with your purchases, this mp3 player does have its shortcomings. However, I would recommend it though, I am very happy with the quality of its hardware.

Hope that helps
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us