IAudio 4 vs iAudio 5 - Worth the wait?

Unregistered guest
I was about to buy the iAudio 4 1GB flash player, but read that the
new iAudio 5 player is due out at the end of November 2004.

Does anyone know anything about the iAudio 5 player?

(Let me just mention that I'm not interested in a hard drive player.
I've read too many reviews from users of these mp3 players that the
hard drive doesn't handle activities like jogging that well.)

I've emailed two people from iAudio, but haven't gotten my questions
answered. I've also emailed jetaudio and again, no luck.

I've been trying to research the differences between the two models to
help decide if it's worth the wait (two months or more) for the iAudio
5 to be released in the USA. Here's what I've read so far on the
Internet, but I'm not sure of the accuracy.

1. The iAudio 5 has a plastic casing unlike the aluminum casing of the
iAudio 4. Does anyone know if this is true? I hope they didn't move
away from the rugged casing. I've looked into the iRiver, but the
plastic casing feels very cheap and fragile.

2. The iAudio 5 will include USB 2 technology. Is this true? This
would be a good thing since I've read iAudio 4 1GB flash players uses
USB 1.1 and it takes about 15 minutes to fill with music files.

3. iAudio 4 uses complain that the battery life isn't that great. It
suppose to be 15 hours, but more like 8-10 hours. It's much less if
the color display is used. The iAudio 5 is suppose to increase the
battery life by 10-15 hours. Is this true?

What else is different with the new model? Anyone know how much it
will be?

Anonymous

go to www.cowon.com , which is the Korean company that makes the iaudio players and they have information on their home page about the iAudio 5 and iAudio 3 players

Unregistered guest
Hi! I am also not sure which one to purchase yet. I presume the iAudio 5 will consist of a higher standard. Im not too worried about the plastic "cage", as long as it produces a descent sound. I haven't seen any online shops offering it for sale, but i reckon it'll be out for sale soon.

ladyroake
Unregistered guest
The Korean websites published prices for the iAudio 5. It is actually a few dollars cheaper than the U2. Using current exchange rate the Korea retailers are selling the U2, iAudio 5, and G3 with 1GB for a little less than four hundred dollars. I think I will wait for it to come out in the states because the U2 is sold at only about $250.
I live in Korea, you'd think I can get better prices...

Well, I decided on the G3 and found it to be quite amazing. I paid $250 and got it from www.jetaudio.com.

fdsafhgfs
Unregistered guest
hey im korean, and during the christmas break i went to korea, while i was there i got me IAUDIO 5, so if ya have any question, email me at wildbika@hotmail.com, and yes it has usb 2.0

EricaMDB
Unregistered guest
Can somebody give me a list of Korean retailers who would have if for sale to Americans throught the use of currancy exchange? and when will it be out in the US?

~Erica

EricaMDB
Unregistered guest
Can somebody give me a list of Korean retailers who would have if for sale to Americans throught the use of currancy exchange? and when will it be out in the US?

~Erica

iaudio4mp3
Unregistered guest
HELP... I currently own iAUDIO 4 1GB and I am having a problem with it. Does anyone know how to fix this? The problem is that whenever I turn it on, it automatically turns-off after a few secs/mins (this varies).. The Hold button is not locked. Once I turn it on, it continuously turns itself on or off untill I forced it to OFF.

Crann
Unregistered guest
If it's any help to anyone, I have just bought an iAudio 5. I was a little disappointed that they had gone away from the aluminium case of the iAudio 4, however the move to USB 2.0, together with improved battery life seemed worthwhile.

Other than preferring a metal case (probably for no real reason, the plastic one appears pretty rigid) my main, slight, concern is the battery cover which is on the end and slides on sideways, to be held in place by two tiny, thin lugs. If these break there will be nothing to keep the battery connected. This is a completely different design to the iAudio 4.

Other than that, the iAudio 5 appears to include all the spec I could want, including working seamlessly with my Linux box, playing ogg, though I am waiting for a firmware update to allow playing of DRM protected WMA without having to burn to CD first.

easyman
Unregistered guest
I just got my iAudio 5 from www.ShopSunTec.com and I must say, it's definately a great little player. No other really comes close, and now I've used it I am certain I made the right choice.

Okay, so you buy another mp3 player and think it's great - we can all live with something that plays music and is new and easy to use. Pretty much all mp3 players make us happy initially. However, not all really do what they claim, and some don't even make the claim. I am glad that I will not be 'wishing' this did some things I wanted - because I know it does do them.

If I didn't mind a bigger unit I'd proabbly have bought a Zen micro 5gig, but they are just a little too big for what I wanted, plus could not seem to drag and drop files and use them with the mp3 player on the Zen, seen in file system only when you do that I believe - stupid.

Small is not always about beatiful, it is about convenience, the iAudio is convenient.

I suppose in a perfect world I'd like an mp3 phone that actually has some usable mp3 player software and a USB2 port. In fact - there is one about and it seems to be coming along quite well, with up to a 1Gig mem expansion slot :-).

However, this iAudio5 can't be beat on features for size, and until I can get a phone to do properly what this thing already does, i'll be happily using my iAudio 5...

Jimmy 990
Unregistered guest
Whats better iaudio g3 or iaudio u2

Jimmy 990
Unregistered guest
email me at southeyj@msn.com for the answer to the question above.

Greg546987984
Unregistered guest
In response to the question about the 1GB iAudio 4 turning off, you need to update the firmware. Go to the iaudio website and read around about updating the firmware. This will flash the entire player, and resinstall the data structure, solving your problem.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us